Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
    Originally Posted by Prospero
    i can tell you from personal experience, cancelling the card will result in the instant removal of all earned vouchers.
    I can tell you from personal experience that my wife and I both have vouchers still in our accounts after cancelling our cards.
    Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
    Has anyone on the board any thoughts on today's M&S announcement and the general decline of BA's product offering - in relation to the increased annual fee of the BAPP card?

I, for one, am out as soon as I obtained my 2-4-1 from which I am weeks away only. As difficult as it is to find availability and plan a year in advance, I think I will focus on aggressive sale fares and pricing errors.
    Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by zat_dude
    Has anyone on the board any thoughts on today's M&S announcement and the general decline of BA's product offering - in relation to the increased annual fee of the BAPP card?

I, for one, am out as soon as I obtained my 2-4-1 from which I am weeks away only. As difficult as it is to find availability and plan a year in advance, I think I will focus on aggressive sale fares and pricing errors.
    As I see it the optimal thing is a kind of tick-tock approach; alternate 2-4-1 redemptions with paid oneworld fares (which handily top up your avios and TPs). With the 2 year shelf life of the 2-4-1, it isn't necessary to keep the paid AMEX continuously if you take this approach.

I do think it's marginal though: the BA AMEX really only works for me because I have the work travel to drive the spend through it, and I value premium travel enough that I would probably be paying cash for some of these trips if I wasn't redeeming the avios+241.

The whole thing is very marginal and dependent on circumstances.
    Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
    Originally Posted by technical_bob
    As I see it the optimal thing is a kind of tick-tock approach; alternate 2-4-1 redemptions with paid oneworld fares (which handily top up your avios and TPs). With the 2 year shelf life of the 2-4-1, it isn't necessary to keep the paid AMEX continuously if you take this approach.

I do think it's marginal though: the BA AMEX really only works for me because I have the work travel to drive the spend through it, and I value premium travel enough that I would probably be paying cash for some of these trips if I wasn't redeeming the avios+241.
    Called it exactly how I see it.

Where revenue fares have come up that have been of good to exceptional value, we've ended up using the 2-4-1 to position on occasions...

I think overall though there is more value in having the card than not having it.
    Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:41 am
    Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
    Was this a recent experience? I cancelled my BAPP 5 and a bit weeks ago after hearing from HfP that the voucher wouldn't be removed, I've just checked and the voucher is still there and available for redemption.

Perhaps I should book something quick before it disappears!
    Your experience is more recent than mine - I cancelled my BAPP a year ago. I was advised by Amex when I called to cancel the card that i’d lose the vouchers should I proceed. I accepted that and the vouchers were quickly removed from my BAEC account.
    Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:47 am
    DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
    This month I had 3 separate avios transactions to my account from my BA Amex, the usual Base and BA spend, but a new one: listed in BA as "Finance Card - Foreign Currency Campaign Spend Bonus" and in Amex as "BAPP Consumer Avios Bonus4"

I don't remember any promotional material on this - can anyone remember what this is?
    Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by DVT
    This month I had 3 separate avios transactions to my account from my BA Amex, the usual Base and BA spend, but a new one: listed in BA as "Finance Card - Foreign Currency Campaign Spend Bonus" and in Amex as "BAPP Consumer Avios Bonus4"

I don't remember any promotional material on this - can anyone remember what this is?
    Nope, but I have a ...Bonus4 line too. Not going to query it!
    Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: BA silver,
    Originally Posted by technical_bob
    Nope, but I have a ...Bonus4 line too. Not going to query it!
    Me too but I seem to remember a short term offer of x8 instead of the normal bonus.
    Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:24 am

For the last several weeks, earned Avios haven't been displaying on the Amex website. Clicking on 'View earned Avios' results in a line which says they are unable to complete the request at the current time. Is this happening to everyone, or just me?
    Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by adam1uk
    For the last several weeks, earned Avios haven't been displaying on the Amex website. Clicking on 'View earned Avios' results in a line which says they are unable to complete the request at the current time. Is this happening to everyone, or just me?
    They are showing fine on my account.
    Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
    While I was abroad last month I received a letter about the spend £10,000 get extra 10,000 Avios promotion. Is there a way to see what the qualifying spend for this promo to date has been?

Thanks.
    Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
    Originally Posted by DVT

There was a promotion announced in early July where you earnt I think 3 additional Avios for each £8 spend in foreign currency. The promotion ran until 31 August 2016.
    Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:24 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by gorps1
    There was a promotion announced in early July where you earnt I think 3 additional Avios for each £8 spend in foreign currency. The promotion ran until 31 August 2016.
    Agreed ... had mine credit last month. I think we had to sign up for it ... a long-forgotten click on an email button!
    Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:42 pm
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
    Protection question.

If I pay 50% of a villa stay abroad on one BA card and then pay the balance on a different one would there be any issues claiming if the villa failed to materialise or other issues?

Just wondering if paying on two different Amex accounts would affect anything.

The villa is in the USA so payments all made in USD with a large charge for foreign use.
    Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, Sixt Platinum
    Hey folks!

We got a bit of a problem.. My girlfriend has got her premium plus card now. Unfortunately only with 1k credit limit.
    The Amex guy on the phone said we'd have to wait 3 months for an increase. I asked if we could 'top up' some thousand pounds so that we're able to use the card. Or at least directly paying off what we're spending.
    He advised that we should keep it within the 1k for three months. Well that's already full after a few days plus that would actually mean its unrealistic that we hit the 3k bonus within 3 months (we'd have to land on spot with the spent)
    We'd appreciate advise here, particularly if you think it's bad to immediately pay off the card. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.