Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis Discount Codes - Put AWD codes in this thread only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
As of 2/12/14: We've had quite a few "Hey, come use this AWD. It's great" type of posts. When the AWD doesn't give a good discount, but is only posted to try to get renters to use the AWD of someone so the poster can earn free days from their Avis Corporate account. From here out, please put the company/trade group/etc that's associated with the AWD or we'll delete the post to keep it on-topic here.

Status Match &/or Complimentary Status
(only public matches posted where Avis or entity post public links - certain corporations also offer upgrades - they are not listed since they are not public)

Status Match
  • (Not applicable to residents in the US and Canada) link here
President's Club (complimentary upgrade)
  • American Airlines 100k Loyalty Points level choice (link here)
  • United Club Infinite, Presidential Plus Business/Consumer, & Business Card primary Cardmembers (link here)
  • United MileagePlus members with Premier Platinum or status or higher (link here)
  • Aeroplan 75K and Super Elite Members as well as the Primary Cardholder of an Aeroplan premium credit card (link here)
  • Hawaiian Air Pualani Platinum members (link here)
  • Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer Solitaire PPS Club and PPS Club members (link here)
  • American Express Platinum card holders (outside USA) link here
  • Mastercard World Elite or Black cardholders (Europe, Turkey, & CIS) link here
  • Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Elite Visa Infinite (benefits link here)
  • Lincoln Black Label members (link here)
  • Inspirato members (link here)
  • THIRDHOME members (link here)
  • SouthernSun Black Status Members (South Africa) (link here)
  • DNB Mastercard Upgrade cardholders (Norway) (link here)
  • XO Access Members (link here)
Preferred Plus (complimentary upgrade)
  • American Airlines 60k Loyalty Points level choice (link here)
  • United MileagePlus Premier Silver and Premier Gold members (link here)
  • Aeroplan 25K, 35K and 50K Members and primary cardholders of an Aeroplan core credit card (link here)
  • Etihad Guest Gold Members (residing in Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey) link here
  • Mastercard World Elite card holders (US based) link here
  • Visa Infinite card holders (US & Canada based) (link here)
  • American Express Platinum Cardholders (US Based) link here
  • CLEAR Plus members (link here)
  • Founders Card Members (link provided after joining)
Print Wikipost

Avis Discount Codes - Put AWD codes in this thread only

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by seydou
Exact same. Wonder if it's possible to do better ...
First, I noticed for ZA that their ECONOMY and COMPACT classes are by and large the same vehicle, which is only SLIGHTLY larger than their MINI class (not the actual Mini car, the MINI class).

Second, I am wondering is whether you have any coupons, especially a car upgrade coupon.

Third, I also noticed that the time of day for pickup in the Joberg area will effect the rates for certain days, have you fooled around with time of day or varied your pickup days forward and backward by a day or two?

Fourth, I checked Joberg, but not Capetown or Durban, so where you are flying into could make a big difference in the rates.

Fifth, have you tried both 30 day rentals (the longest possible to reserve online, so even if you will be there for 31 days, you will need to call) and a succession of 7 day rentals to see if there is an unseen "surplus" charge for longer rentals?

Come back with more information and I will try to dig up more assistance for you.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated
First, I noticed for ZA that their ECONOMY and COMPACT classes are by and large the same vehicle, which is only SLIGHTLY larger than their MINI class (not the actual Mini car, the MINI class).

Second, I am wondering is whether you have any coupons, especially a car upgrade coupon.

Third, I also noticed that the time of day for pickup in the Joberg area will effect the rates for certain days, have you fooled around with time of day or varied your pickup days forward and backward by a day or two?

Fourth, I checked Joberg, but not Capetown or Durban, so where you are flying into could make a big difference in the rates.

Fifth, have you tried both 30 day rentals (the longest possible to reserve online, so even if you will be there for 31 days, you will need to call) and a succession of 7 day rentals to see if there is an unseen "surplus" charge for longer rentals?

Come back with more information and I will try to dig up more assistance for you.
Hey there. So much appreciation for your time and help. Here we go:

I'm renting beginning January 7. I technically land in the morning so would need it from the mid-morning onwards. I'm a US citizen and searching in US$ (and checking the box that I'm a US citizen).

I do not have a coupon.

I pulled in rate code D005150 to test with varying lengths. It is, as you'd expect, a gradient from 7 days ($32.85 / day) to 14 ($29.57) to 30 ($27.93).

Lastly, I could not get any variation with the times of the day. And I'm limited to flying into OR Tambo.

You also asked what I saw after searching with the AWD code. Copying and pasting:

Additional Information
AWD: D005150
Rate Type: Lowest
Rate Code: N/A
Coupon: N/A
Wizard: N/A
Residence: United States
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:37 pm

Interestingly, I just did a search with no AWD and received the exact same rates.

This is different than when I rented before. At one time I got a ridiculous rate on the month -- around $575. These prices refer to "Economy."

Additional Information
AWD: N/A
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
....snip....

I'm renting beginning January 7. I technically land in the morning so would need it from the mid-morning onwards. I'm a US citizen and searching in US$ (and checking the box that I'm a US citizen).

I do not have a coupon.

I pulled in rate code D005150 to test with varying lengths. It is, as you'd expect, a gradient from 7 days ($32.85 / day) to 14 ($29.57) to 30 ($27.93).

Lastly, I could not get any variation with the times of the day. And I'm limited to flying into OR Tambo.
Wow, two days notice! My educated guess is that unless you find a coupon before tomorrow, you are probably stuck with what you have already found.

Actually, needing to take it in the morning might be a non-issue, because depending on where you are going in Joberg, there are several pick up locations right in town, and by picking up in town, you will probably avoid the daily airport pick up surcharge (might be a $2-4 per day) as an add on to the daily rate (meaning 30 days could add $60-120 in airport fees for the rental, over and above the rate), but this only applies if there are car rental airport fees for ZA, since all countries are different, and I have not yet been to ZA.

However, if the cost of transport into Joberg is over $60 (depending on what the airport fee is per day), then this might not be a savings, but the return at the airport is not an issue, because Avis usually allows city pickup with return to that same city's airport at no extra charge. This also gives you some flexibility, because if you are only traveling within a 3 mile radius (meaning 3 miles in any one direction) of your hotel for the first few days, you could probably save some money by not renting the car for the first few days or paying for garage parking at your hotel. Then when you do need it, you could get it right in Joberg, such as at the Hyatt, which has an Avis rental location in it or next to it.

Hunt around for coupons, including calling Avis customer service (800-352-7900) and asking them, also checking the Internet, and asking your friends or business associates in ZA to be on the lookout too (asking your friends might not be much help because you leave so soon).

Just on a quick check for time of day, I found a couple of variations for dates which were a bit further out, but that was before I knew your arrival date, since it is so soon, their inventory is probably already baked into the cake, so time of day will not matter in this context.

Rates/day do not always go down with longer rental periods, sometimes shorter rentals actually yield lower daily rates, it depends on their volume and inventories, meaning if they have a huge bunch of weekly reservations for $300/week, they will not want to rent for 30 days for even $1,140 ($2/day less over one 30 day month), because they will lose out on the income for the extra two or three days per month, plus lose out on the extras (if you don't take them), such as PAI and GPS (which is HUGELY profitable). Other times, they might have lower demand for weeklies, so it would be better to rent monthly than to have their cars sit unrented. Also, as we all know, sometimes rates for cars, or hotels, or air, can seem irrational or counter-intuitive, although to the travel companies, they make perfect illogical sense!

You also asked what I saw after searching with the AWD code. Copying and pasting:

Additional Information
AWD: D005150
(emphasis mine)

I was only asking for the bold part above.

Interestingly, I just did a search with no AWD and received the exact same rates.

This is different than when I rented before. At one time I got a ridiculous rate on the month -- around $575. These prices refer to "Economy."
I would guess this totally depends on time of year. When did you go before?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:38 pm

I have couple avis free day certificates that I would like to get rid. Pm me for details. will save you tons on your rental.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:29 am

Are any of these codes valid for weekly rental in France? Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Are any of these codes valid for weekly rental in France? Thanks.
Are you asking about coupon codes or AWD numbers?

For AWD numbers in Europe, check these out:
G298100
D005150
K851000 (Hhonors)
B149870
Z652297
D833357 (American Society of Travel Agents)
A074800 (Citicorp Leisure Travel)
A153700
G417900 (Kellwood Travel)

Current coupon codes are much more difficult to come by for Europe, since they change so often.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by avw
Booked an excellent weekday rate with AWD B270898. I searched the internet and couldn't find any further information on this number. The rate code is "TJ". Does anyone know more about this AWD, this rate code, or if the "B" before the AWD number signifies anything?

Thanks for any info!
I tried this code and got some huge discounts on some weekly domestic rates. I called Avis and they told me it was for Peregrine Systems Meetings.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by JerryFF
I tried this code and got some huge discounts on some weekly domestic rates. I called Avis and they told me it was for Peregrine Systems Meetings.
Okay, I am totally curious, what Avis number/department did you call to ask them what company an AWD number is for, without inviting unwelcome scrutiny?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by USirritated
Okay, I am totally curious, what Avis number/department did you call to ask them what company an AWD number is for, without inviting unwelcome scrutiny?
I called the regular 800 number. As a travel agent, I told them I had a client who wanted to use this number and I wanted to make sure it was valid for the booking he asked me to make. The agent told me without any hesitation. I have done this on numerous occasions.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I called the regular 800 number. As a travel agent, I told them I had a client who wanted to use this number and I wanted to make sure it was valid for the booking he asked me to make. The agent told me without any hesitation. I have done this on numerous occasions.
The Golden Rule of FT - never call a travel vendor about a price, code, discount, coupon or anything else. If it works, great - if not, we need to move on.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:07 pm

Good tactic, if you feel that you must call to verify.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The Golden Rule of FT - never call a travel vendor about a price, code, discount, coupon or anything else. If it works, great - if not, we need to move on.
I generally agree with BocaStephen on this, with ONE POSSIBLE exception. If the AWD number in question might totally deny the reservation made only while standing at the counter waiting for the keys.

Of course, that particular concern should also make anyone with a lick of sense question why they are willing to take such an unknown risk in the first place, meaning, Mr/Ms OP (avw I believe), you need to either find another AWD without similar risk, or use no AWD at all, if you have some concern the AWD might cause trouble.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:34 pm

A126900 Lockheed Martin corporate rate.
EXCELLENT rate.

When booking for HNL most suggested rates here were about $250 for a week base rated for a Focus.

A126900 gave me a base rate of $170 and change.
Try it and let me know if it works
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:12 am

A new winter special from avis.de
AWD: O253100
Book before 31 Jan for collection before 31 Mar and get 20% off
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by dbrow16
A126900 Lockheed Martin corporate rate.
EXCELLENT rate.

When booking for HNL most suggested rates here were about $250 for a week base rated for a Focus.

A126900 gave me a base rate of $170 and change.
Try it and let me know if it works
wow, saves me alot in Tucson. anyone know how strict avis is with id from lockheed? Lockheed has a branch in Tucson. any input is appreciated!

Babs

Last edited by babsjvd; Jan 16, 2013 at 1:58 pm Reason: moreinfo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.