Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 4aks
Links to new program info:
http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/avisPref-Program.ac?pageName=avisPref-Points
avis.com/car-rental/content/avisPref-Program.ac?pageName=avisPref-Points

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/global/en/terms/US/PrefMbrGlobalTermsMiddle.pdf
avis.com/car-rental/html/global/en/terms/US/PrefMbrGlobalTermsMiddle.pdf

Calendar year 2015 rentals count towards status (12 rentals = preferred plus; 25 rentals = PC )

Rentals begun July 1st earn points

Redemption of points is unknown and dynamic
Data points:
July 2015 - 3 day Minivan rental, adding GPS ($9.99/day) requires 316 points. Adding Sirius (6.99/day) was 200 points
July 2015 - 4 day full size mid week - adding GPS ($9.99/day) requires 332 points
July 2015 - 1 day (full size?) in Seattle - 2400 points for one free day
Aug 2015 - weekend day at SAN, intermediate - 600 points (vs $18 base cost)
Sep 2015 - Weekday, Boston Back Bay, 1d6h rental - 4600 points (vs. $85 full size)
Oct 2015 - weekend day at SAN, intermediate - 600 points / jumped to 1330 points all month, many vehicle types
Nov 2015 - weekend day ORD - 950 points
Nov 2015 - Weekend day IAH - 1800 points (1 day)
Nov 2015 - weekend SAN - 950 pts, many vehicle types
Nov 2015 - weekend SAN - 1330 pts, many vehicle types (points devalued the closer to the rental period)
Print Wikipost

Changes to Avis First Program

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
I noticed that none of my rentals in 2015 are showing up on the Avis First website - are these still rewarding qualifying for Free Weekend Rewards? Or is this due to the transition to the new program? Or simply an IT bug?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jdawg
I noticed that none of my rentals in 2015 are showing up on the Avis First website...
My rental from last week does show on the Avis website, but doesn't yet show on the Avis First site.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:12 pm

Considerable coupon included with my receipts

Avis First member here for over three consecutive years. The loyalty program with Avis has never been much more than a slick letter with a personalized wallet card I've never bothered remedying where it landed. That said, I picked up a car this past Saturday night for a quick 2 day rental. Last night when the receipt printed a coupon for $50 off any future rental printed out as well. I've read it several times now and it doesn't have any limitations aside from the boilerplate exemption at unspecified Avis locations. No explanation was given other than a smile and have a good evening. Think Avis launched some redemption effort only to trip over their own feet by not mentioning it?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: AC 75K, Marrott Platinum, BW Diamond, AP Diamond
What is going on with the AVIS First program? I haven't received anything new on this since September. I noticed my coupon rentals were extended in to the spring, but not until redeemed them on weekends I didn't really want too. Also, I noticed my rentals for this year don't seem to be showing up on the AVIS First site.

Has anybody heard anything about the changes? Are they still moving ahead with them or are they keeping things the same?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by notalk28
What is going on with the AVIS First program? I haven't received anything new on this since September. I noticed my coupon rentals were extended in to the spring, but not until redeemed them on weekends I didn't really want too. Also, I noticed my rentals for this year don't seem to be showing up on the AVIS First site.

Has anybody heard anything about the changes? Are they still moving ahead with them or are they keeping things the same?
Answer: Nothing, nothing at all, so far.....
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seem to remember in past years, it took a while for the first rental to come in and it resets the left-over counter from the year before???
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:12 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by mmcgrat6
Avis First member here for over three consecutive years. The loyalty program with Avis has never been much more than a slick letter with a personalized wallet card I've never bothered remedying where it landed. That said, I picked up a car this past Saturday night for a quick 2 day rental. Last night when the receipt printed a coupon for $50 off any future rental printed out as well. I've read it several times now and it doesn't have any limitations aside from the boilerplate exemption at unspecified Avis locations. No explanation was given other than a smile and have a good evening. Think Avis launched some redemption effort only to trip over their own feet by not mentioning it?
I've only ever had coupons print at return when there was a service/other issue with the rental. Maybe the check-in person thought you were attractive and had it print one for you?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Feb 1st and still nothing from Avis.

Like majority of people, my 2015 rentals are not showing up on the avisfirst web site.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Supposedly they are doing some "year start" stuff to their system. I seem to remember this happened in the years past. This whole thing is just so poorly handled and you wonder if they care about AvisFirst and its members.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by username
Supposedly they are doing some "year start" stuff to their system. I seem to remember this happened in the years past. This whole thing is just so poorly handled and you wonder if they care about AvisFirst and its members.
This year, by virtue of UA's new deal with Hertz, I am both Avis First and Hertz Presidents's Circle. I left Hertz several years ago because of what I thought was appalling customer service. Now I have clean slate to pick between the two of them. So far, Hertz is winning. What is really sad is that I want Avis to win. But their ineptitude and incompentance and slowness (particularly on busses at DEN and LAX compared to Hertz) is telling me its time to go back to Hertz.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: AC 75K, Marrott Platinum, BW Diamond, AP Diamond
This is what i got from AVIS customer service after about three other emails. I thought I read or heard somewhere that the programs remains "as is" for the next little while until they get things sorted out with the new program. I burned some rentals late in the year as well because of the dates and didn't notice until after they moved them out.

"Dear Mr. Snihur,

Thank you for contacting Avis Customer Service.

We apologize for any inconvenience. The rentals listed are in fact associated with your Wizard number. Unfortunately, there will be a delay in the update of your rental history via Avisfirst.com due to system update. Rental history should be available after February 11, 2015.

We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience. "
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notalk28
This is what i got from AVIS customer service after about three other emails. I thought I read or heard somewhere that the programs remains "as is" for the next little while until they get things sorted out with the new program. I burned some rentals late in the year as well because of the dates and didn't notice until after they moved them out.
This is got to be the worst loyalty program changeover in the world. No communication, dates missed, rules changed without notice and even retroactively. Maybe they are doing this purposely so we can't plan the use of the coupons? They either hate their customers or are just incompetent.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by username
This is got to be the worst loyalty program changeover in the world. No communication, dates missed, rules changed without notice and even retroactively. Maybe they are doing this purposely so we can't plan the use of the coupons? They either hate their customers or are just incompetent.
I have deleted the email they sent back in the fall about the changeover. I also have nothing posted to that Avis First site of 2015 activity.

Should we be changing our earning preference back to miles or something until they figure it out?

What are the details of the new program anyway? Like I said, I lost the email and forgot.

I've always really been happy with Avis over the years (except at ORD where they s*ck) but this is kind of bizarre...
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only got 1 e-mail about the initial expiration date change. I have not gotten anything after that. Some members seemed to have gotten updates.

Supposedly they are re-working the new program after it did not test well but I think maybe they are just having IT problems. Of course, there are no details.

I did hear that the new program lets you redeem the points for merchandise like GPS devices but it will take A LOT OF points to get rental cars for free. When was the last time any enhancement from these companies worked out for the customers?

Supposedly business as usual and the terms of Avis First remains the same until mid year. Someone said they said "after 2/11". Well, 2/14 is after 2/11 but so is 12/31 My activities are stuck on December.

The bottom line is you just can't trust what this company does - whether it is having a car there for you or at least communicating to its better customers.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
My 2015 Avis rentals have started posting to my Avis First account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.