Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 4aks
Links to new program info:
http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/avisPref-Program.ac?pageName=avisPref-Points
avis.com/car-rental/content/avisPref-Program.ac?pageName=avisPref-Points

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/global/en/terms/US/PrefMbrGlobalTermsMiddle.pdf
avis.com/car-rental/html/global/en/terms/US/PrefMbrGlobalTermsMiddle.pdf

Calendar year 2015 rentals count towards status (12 rentals = preferred plus; 25 rentals = PC )

Rentals begun July 1st earn points

Redemption of points is unknown and dynamic
Data points:
July 2015 - 3 day Minivan rental, adding GPS ($9.99/day) requires 316 points. Adding Sirius (6.99/day) was 200 points
July 2015 - 4 day full size mid week - adding GPS ($9.99/day) requires 332 points
July 2015 - 1 day (full size?) in Seattle - 2400 points for one free day
Aug 2015 - weekend day at SAN, intermediate - 600 points (vs $18 base cost)
Sep 2015 - Weekday, Boston Back Bay, 1d6h rental - 4600 points (vs. $85 full size)
Oct 2015 - weekend day at SAN, intermediate - 600 points / jumped to 1330 points all month, many vehicle types
Nov 2015 - weekend day ORD - 950 points
Nov 2015 - Weekend day IAH - 1800 points (1 day)
Nov 2015 - weekend SAN - 950 pts, many vehicle types
Nov 2015 - weekend SAN - 1330 pts, many vehicle types (points devalued the closer to the rental period)
Print Wikipost

Changes to Avis First Program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Will it be 12r/$5k for a rolling 12 month period, or for a July 1 to June 30 23 month period, or this year for only a 6 month period???

I guess we'll find out on Weds

I'm assuming it's going to be try to hit these metrics by end of CY2015, and you'll have status through 2016

Maybe they'll have a dialed-down or accelerator offer for the remainder of 2015

I just started using Avis, but have 8r/28d in June
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
The "downgrade" aspect of all this doesn't sound quite right since the natural expectation would be to have status continue -- for this year, anyway. I've never heard of any status anywhere for anyone getting downgraded mid-year for any reason . . . ever. And old Avis First = new Avis Preferred Plus.

My new status comes from a World Elite MC, and so there may be a contractual wrinkle or two thrown in there as well.

I guess we'll see for sure very shortly, one way or the other.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by 4aks
I just called Avis to ask, was transferred to the PC desk. They confirmed the details mentioned above, and the rental count and spend count starts as of July 1st, no credit for YTD spend/rentals

The agent said the website will report what your count is, everyone starts at Preferred, then at 12r/$5k will be auto-elevated to Preferred Plus, and at 25r/$7k will be auto-elevated to President's Club

I have a rental beginning tomorrow, returning Thurs July 2nd, unclear if that'll be counted
This is not correct. I called the First Desk and was told that any First members will automatically migrate to Preferred Plus. The clock for re-qualifying does reset on 7/1 but that is actually immaterial unless you had a one time big first 2 quarters and even then you will keep the status until it would have ran out anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
This is not correct. I called the First Desk and was told that any First members will automatically migrate to Preferred Plus. The clock for re-qualifying does reset on 7/1 but that is actually immaterial unless you had a one time big first 2 quarters and even then you will keep the status until it would have ran out anyway.
I either had a poorly informed agent, or she was trying to make it not sound so bad that my recent 8 rentals won't count ...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
I can confirm that First did change to Preferred Plus. I had to exchange the Fusion Titanium today since it was overdue for an oil change and its registration expires tomorrow and the reprinted contract shows me as "PREF PLUS/POINTS". Interestingly, the original contract on Sunday just showed Preferred rather than the First it has been printing up to last week.

It's still annoying that none of my earlier rentals this year count towards PC, but at least it's not a downgrade! (The 28K '14 Camry is more annoying than it being November instead of August before I hit PC)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by wierdo
I can confirm that First did change to Preferred Plus. I had to exchange the Fusion Titanium today since it was overdue for an oil change and its registration expires tomorrow and the reprinted contract shows me as "PREF PLUS/POINTS". Interestingly, the original contract on Sunday just showed Preferred rather than the First it has been printing up to last week.

It's still annoying that none of my earlier rentals this year count towards PC, but at least it's not a downgrade! (The 28K '14 Camry is more annoying than it being November instead of August before I hit PC)
I got a Maxima with 9,000 on it. I too just went and got stickers for the plates. It now has 32,448. I have had this car 14 months. I think Avis should stencil my name on it
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:54 pm

Well, that was fast. As of some time earlier this afternoon, I'm now officially "Avis Preferred Plus." Hurray?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
I can confirm my account went from First to Preferred Plus. That being said, after using Alamo, Enterprise, and National (having National Executive status), I don't know why anyone rents with Hertz or Avis. Terrible cars and terrible prices...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by csyoung49
I can confirm my account went from First to Preferred Plus. That being said, after using Alamo, Enterprise, and National (having National Executive status), I don't know why anyone rents with Hertz or Avis. Terrible cars and terrible prices...
I have corporate codes for all of the major agencies and Avis is by far the least expensive for me, aside from very rare occasions when the other guys have a huge glut of cars, and even then it's maybe $10 a week difference. The Camry I have now is the first one this year with more than 12k on the clock. I had to take it because it was literally the only thing bigger than a compact in service at the location, and there were only two of those. Usually they have closer to 15. Some poor ....... even got stuck with a Transit 350 this morning, that's how bad it was. I'm debating whether to try for an exchange at the airport tomorrow or not. I probably won't since there's nothing actually wrong with the car other than some cosmetic scratches on the bumper. Point being I usually get good cars.

If National weren't usually 50% more expensive I'd give them a shot.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine says Avis Preferred Plus too but no where I can find the explanation of what that means (other than the Beta site someone posted up the thread). I guess they still have about a day to provide us the details
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: SPG P100, DL PM
Found this FAQ from googling Avis First changes:
http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...t-US_en-048467

Not a great deal more detail than has already been discussed but it does confirm all Avis First migrates to Avis Preferred Plus:

Will I be automatically converted to the new Avis Preferred Plus tier so I can continue to receive free upgrades when available?
All Avis First members will be automatically converted to the new Avis Preferred Plus tier unless notified otherwise
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:31 am

Hmm, it seems the T&C changed (per the Google cache). Instead of getting PC after 25 rentals/$7000 in spend, you remain Preferred Plus, but do get the increased points earning.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Anyone find out what it takes to cash-in these points?

Is there a chart anywhere with redemption levels?

Sounds like it's based off spend.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:30 am

Looks like they need customers to go hit the 'opt in' botton and agree to the terms of service
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:53 am

I just opted in, which may have been a mistake since I now have to rent w/in 3 months to get the 250 extra points they're offering.

Preferred Plus members get 1.25 points per dollar spent on rentals. Even so, I still don't see an award chart anywhere. The whole setup seems rather opaque -- unless I'm just missing something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.