Reload this Page >

6 days Kuala Lumpur

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 days Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:06 pm

good idea. just keep exploring. there are no areas to avoid. it is very safe. just make sure that you do not have handbags dangling around you. there are many snatch thieves
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: United Platinum
Two highlights for us were the elephant sanctuary (kind of a long drive for a 2-3 hours visit but still cool - see if you can include bathing the elephants in the river!) and also the Sisters popiah at Imbi market - wish I had them local to me :P
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by jameschan2811
good idea. just keep exploring. there are no areas to avoid. it is very safe. just make sure that you do not have handbags dangling around you. there are many snatch thieves

KL is safe but there are many snatch thieves? Which is it? Safe or not safe?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by wolf72
KL is safe but there are many snatch thieves? Which is it? Safe or not safe?
Well no city is every truly 100% safe. I can say Chicago's a safe city being from here but reading the media, others would argue otherwise.

Thanks you all for answering, I'll be doing more research since I have a few months to go.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ords
Well no city is every truly 100% safe. I can say Chicago's a safe city being from here but reading the media, others would argue otherwise.

Thanks you all for answering, I'll be doing more research since I have a few months to go.
You are unlikely to get your handbag snatched in downtown Chicago or have someone pull a gun at you and robbing you.

Looks like KL is not very safe.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: United Platinum
The city is safe enough if you are smart -

Don't keep your wallet in your back pocket.
Women use a cross body bag.
Don't wear obvious expensive clothes/jewelry.
Don't flash cash (use ATMs that are in populated well-lit areas.)
Stay aware of your surroundings and if something feels off, trust your instinct.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kryssa
The city is safe enough if you are smart -

Don't keep your wallet in your back pocket.
Women use a cross body bag.
Don't wear obvious expensive clothes/jewelry.
Don't flash cash (use ATMs that are in populated well-lit areas.)
Stay aware of your surroundings and if something feels off, trust your instinct.
Pity...Singapore is so much safer. Less stress. Less worries.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:32 am

I'd say the city was pretty safe. Indeed, everytime I've been there I've never seen or suffered from any crime.
I feel much safer there than any major western European city like Paris, London, Rome, Barcelona etc.

The advice above is just being sensible. You should do the same things even in Singapore Wolf72.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I have never had any worries about safety in KL. Yeah, if you wander down a dark alley late at night by yourself wearing a Rolex and carrying your laptop, you might encounter some petty thieves. But overall, when one talks about safety, one generally refers to personal safety, as in violent crime against you as an individual. From that perspective, KL is safe.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by TravelDream
You should do the same things even in Singapore Wolf72.
I live in Singapore. I routinely walk home from office at 11AM-midnight - I support our European customers. Walk from office to home takes about 40 min and I walk thru Kent Ridge Park. Almost daily (better to say - nightly) I see high school age girls jogging alone in that park with headphones on.

Show me any other place on Earth where you can see 16 y/o girls jogging/walking alone at a park in midnight while listening music.

P.S. Recently there was a Standard Chartered Bank robbery which was #1 news for couple of month - 22 y/o canadian walked in, gave note where he wrote that it is robbery and demanded $30000. Got money, took taxi to Changi and flew to Bangkok. Previous bank robbery in Singapore (again, with a note demanding money) was in 2008.

Last edited by invisible; Feb 2, 2017 at 7:21 am
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by invisible
I live in Singapore. I routine come from office at 11AM-midnight - I support our European customers. Walk from office to home takes about 30 min and I walk thru [url="https://goo.gl/maps/ygbqdK35kYB2[/url]. Almost daily (better to say - nightly) I see high school age girls jogging alone in that park with headphones on.

Show me any other place on Earth where you can see 16 y/o girls jogging/walking alone at a park in midnight while listening music.
Did you really just provide a map to where one can find 16 year old girls jogging alone at midnight in Singapore? Gotta question the judgement on that one.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Did you really just provide a map to where one can find 16 year old girls jogging alone at midnight in Singapore? Gotta question the judgement on that one.
If you have not been in Singapore, I can tell you that you can find jogging 16 y/o girls pretty much at any park next to residential blocks, as well as on streets at midnight.

P.S. Most serious mass crime here is bicycle theft. There were 4 (four) murders in 2016 and 2 (two) in 2015. That's for population of 5.5 million people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Singapore

Last edited by invisible; Feb 2, 2017 at 9:09 am
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Singapore is a very very safe city state and I have no qualms walking around at night if need be from a meeting back to my hotel without worrying about being attacked by thieves on bikes or getting ripped off by a taxi driver, which KL is famous for.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
getting ripped off by a taxi driver, which KL is famous for.
That problem have been partially taken care by Uber/Grab. Well, assuming that your Uber driver is not pulled from the car and beaten by taxi drivers.

On my first visit in KL for a ride from KUL to Sentral taxi wanted 300RM. I paid for my round trip plane ticket 120RM. No surprise that I never used taxi in KL.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
That problem have been partially taken care by Uber/Grab. Well, assuming that your Uber driver is not pulled from the car and beaten by taxi drivers.

On my first visit in KL for a ride from KUL to Sentral taxi wanted 300RM. I paid for my round trip plane ticket 120RM. No surprise that I never used taxi in KL.
Funnily enough, I just had an issue with my grab a taxi driver last week. Was down in KL for a 2D1N business meeting..and booked a cab using the app from my the Le Meridian to get to my meeting and got a complete dick-head for a driver...wanted to introduce me to tours and such.

I happened to be going to KLCC for a short meeting and was going to do the 1 hour tour up to the top of the towers and was told i could buy tickets at the ticket counter there in advance.

He was telling me i needed to buy tickets 2 days in advance and that it was impossible to buy tickets from the counter. I understand this may happen potentially during peak seasons with arab tourists in town but it really was no concern of his to be honest...

He forgot you can actually buy tickets online via their website in advance.

What was a small issue became a bigger issue because i called his bluff and he got upset. I told him to just stop the cab and i will pay him for whatever amount was showing on the meter.

He refused to stop and I had to shout at the bloke before he stopped. I paid him RM10 for the 2 minutes he had driven and he promptly threw the money back in my face as i was exiting.

Malaysian taxi drivers really are some piece of work.

Got a grab a car instead and he showed up within 5 minutes as he was nearby the area so problem solved.

But totally unneccessary BS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.