Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a follow up, I'd note that transport prices have increased in BA more than most people realize. It's actually hard to know the price of anything in BA, because with the high inflation, nobody really posts their prices for anything on the web.

We took a few taxis around town (usually about 2 1/2 to 3 km trips) and they tended to cost about 70 pesos. When we arrived at the AEP airport in the evening, the taxi line was extremely long and, after briefing shopping around at the remise counters, we went with one agency willing to take us to Retiro for 300 pesos. I'm guessing a taxi would have been slightly less.

We did wind up using the Taxi Ezeiza 580 peso promo rate to get from downtown to the airport. I'm not absolutely sure it's true, but I was told a taxi fare would cost be about 650 pesos with the tolls. That's also what a couple of private services were charging. Taxi Ezeiza's service was prompt and competent.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Transportation EZE to Centro

I am so confused by all this conflicting info. Can someone with recent personal experience please tell me the best way to get to Sheraton Libertador vicinity. Can I reserve in advance (Sunday April 2nd) or just show up and make arrangements on the spot. My ride just crapped out on me, hence my last minute dilemma.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by danola
I am so confused by all this conflicting info. Can someone with recent personal experience please tell me the best way to get to Sheraton Libertador vicinity. Can I reserve in advance (Sunday April 2nd) or just show up and make arrangements on the spot. My ride just crapped out on me, hence my last minute dilemma.
The best bet is to hire any of the Remis (like private taxi) services inside the airport - just past customs inspection and before you enter the general public area. They are all about the same, except Manuel Tienda Leon's cars could be a bit nicer, and they are more expensive than the others. They all take credit cards. No reservations necessary.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The best bet is to hire any of the Remis (like private taxi) services inside the airport - just past customs inspection and before you enter the general public area. They are all about the same, except Manuel Tienda Leon's cars could be a bit nicer, and they are more expensive than the others. They all take credit cards. No reservations necessary.
Thanks for the advice. Any additional considerations necessary for a couple traveling with four suitcases plus carry-ons?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Do you know anything about procedures for boarding a freighter in BsAs? Thank you!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
This week I had my first experience using Uber after landing at EZE.

Landed at 0430 am incoming from FCO on Aerolíneas, immigration and customs was done in less than half an hour including the customary stop at the tax free shop (cigarettes at the EZE duty free are absurdly cheap). By 0500 I was outside and used the Uber app to ask for a car. The driver was contacted almost immediately and he called me to agree a meeting point. We settled for one of the entrances to the departures hall, some 100 meters away. It took him 10 minutes approximately to reach EZE as all the Uber cars wait outside the airport to avoid paying the parking. I jumped in and less than 40 minutes later I was at home.

Total price including tolls was 345 pesos.

I am using no remís or private car anymore. Uber was the same car and half the price.

Viva el capitalismo.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Marambio

I wonder how they arrange a pick up point with non Spanish speaking tourists?
Good to hear the cigarettes at EZE Duty Free are now cheaper because they never used to be. The new Macri tax on ciggies I suppose?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good to hear the cigarettes at EZE Duty Free are now cheaper because they never used to be. The new Macri tax on ciggies I suppose?
Yeah, for ages they were the same or even more expensive than at any store in Argentina, but now you can get a carton for 21 USD, which is around 30 pesos per pack of 20s, roughly half price than the normal store.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how they arrange a pick up point with non Spanish speaking tourists?
Uber definitely sounds interesting if your phone works and you speak Spanish well. Otherwise, maybe not so much!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yeah, for ages they were the same or even more expensive than at any store in Argentina, but now you can get a carton for 21 USD, which is around 30 pesos per pack of 20s, roughly half price than the normal store.
I smoke Philip Morris and once made the mistake of thinking I'd just buy two cartons at EZE before going to the UK on holiday knowing they were going to be similarly priced. I couldn't believe it when I found out they didn't have them and had to make do with Dunhill instead. I paid 46 pesos for a pack today in my local shop. What brand do you smoke that cost nearly 60 pesos?

Originally Posted by iahphx
Uber definitely sounds interesting if your phone works and you speak Spanish well. Otherwise, maybe not so much!
Yeah that was my train of thought. Better to go to one of the booths inside the terminal if you're a new or infrequent visitor I reckon.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah that was my train of thought. Better to go to one of the booths inside the terminal if you're a new or infrequent visitor I reckon.
I haven't yet figured out how to get my USA AT&T phone to work overseas. You tend to learn the technology you need and, right now, I don't really need a cell plan on most of my int'l trips. Google maps now works without cell service and I just use wifi when I can get it. The only things I can't do is make calls "on the road," look up websites when I'm in a rental car or on the street, or use apps like Uber.

I was in the UK for a couple weeks last summer and I figured I'd just get a SIM card. Did the research for a logical plan, got the card, waited a few hours for activation and then it still didn't work. Apparently my phone, while unlocked, wasn't "compatible." That experience has made me even more reluctant to try to get a working SIM card. I'm hoping they fix the technology so it's more seamless in the future. My best luck so far was in Portugal when a rental car agency rented me a wifi "hot spot" for less than US$5 a day, that my whole family could use everywhere.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:27 pm

I smoke Philip Morris and once made the mistake of thinking I'd just buy two cartons at EZE before going to the UK on holiday knowing they were going to be similarly priced. I couldn't believe it when I found out they didn't have them and had to make do with Dunhill instead. I paid 46 pesos for a pack today in my local shop. What brand do you smoke that cost nearly 60 pesos?
I'm usually charged between 50 and 55 pesos for a Marlboro red. I think 50 is the official price but the fellow next door from the office added 5 pesos to it "porque sino no me rinde".

Re Uber and international roaming, EZE has free wifi so you can use the app and call a car from the arrivals hall. I didn't ask my driver how they deal with non-Spanish speakers but he did say it's mostly foreigners he picks up from both airports.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Your Uber app will remain in whatever language it usually is. If you usually use it in English, it will talk to you in English. The driver is a different matter, of course.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

Landed at 0430 am incoming from FCO on Aerolíneas, immigration and customs was done in less than half an hour including the customary stop at the tax free shop (cigarettes at the EZE duty free are absurdly cheap). By 0500 I was outside and used the Uber app to ask for a car. The driver was contacted almost immediately and he called me to agree a meeting point. We settled for one of the entrances to the departures hall, some 100 meters away. It took him 10 minutes approximately to reach EZE as all the Uber cars wait outside the airport to avoid paying the parking. I jumped in and less than 40 minutes later I was at home.

Total price including tolls was 345 pesos.

I am using no remís or private car anymore. Uber was the same car and half the price.

Viva el capitalismo.

Thanks for the update about Uber. With Manuel Tienda Leon charging 265 (with transfer, 210 without) Uber souunds like a good deal. Albeit your trip was in the early morning so I will expect 365 to be at the low end of the spectrum, don't you think? Thanks and Safe Travels.. UPDATE: Sunday 11:00 am local time, Uber is quoating 551-729 from Palermo Viejo to EZE.. My App shows an increase due to Popular Times but does not show the exact Surge.. Update 2 Monday at 2:45 pm now 391-513 ARS

Last edited by Flying Machine; Apr 3, 2017 at 11:45 am
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:31 am
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
Just back last week after a week in BA and used Uber quite a bit. Never got around to getting a SIM card for phone but still was able to find enough WiFi to access Uber. That said, we also had to use taxis a few times and found that we certainly preferred Uber.
Uber drivers were more likely to speak English and you didn't have to fumble with money. Our last taxi driver actually pulled the "you thought you gave me a 100 peso bill, but see you gave me a 10 peso bill." I knew that I had only 100s in my wallet at the time and just laughed at him...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.