Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:28 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Rita,

Thanks for the excellent review... I must confess to never have been to this restaurant, but your experience has prompted me to place this establishment on top of my to-do restaurant list for 2007.

Happy New Year to everybody!!
Alex (Gaucho100K)
Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Fantastic Nectarine

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Here you go...

Nectarine
Vicente López 1661
Recoleta
Tel. 4813-6993
Thank you Gaucho100K and everybody else who recommended this restaurant. We had a fantastic dinner at Nectarine two weeks ago, we really loved the food there. Wine list seemed good and we got good recommendations on which wines to try.

We're back home in Finland again and are already planning a new trip to Buenos Aires, we really love the place. And next time we'll try to see more of Argentina too.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Glad you enjoyed Nectarine.... IMHO Rodrigo Sieiro (chef) and Mariana Torta (sommeliere) run an excellent operation, its one of the best fine dining experiences in town.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:29 pm

My sister went to dinner at Divina Patagonia 2 nights ago (Honduras 5710) and didn't rave about it. She said it was nice. Someone in her group had lamb and said it was excellent. But again, she's raved about some BsAs restaurants, and this isn't top of her list. OK, but just not fabulous.

Rita
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Funny... my last visit to Divina Patagonia a few days before Xmas was also rather dissapointing.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up another Japanese Cuisine option

Im happy to report that there is a Japanese Restaurant that I dare recommend here in Buenos Aires. Its not a fancy place, but they do have an authentic menu, good attention to detail and they do serve tuna and other difficult to obtain dishes when they get delivery... which is hard to predict.

Irifune
Paraguay 412
Tel: 4312-8787

Its located in the center of town, close to Av. Leandro Alem and Cordoba. Dont mistake it with Morizono, which is on the street corner (stay away from Morizono).
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Gaucho this is great, im going to have to start making a list of all these places to try. What do you think of Empire Thai? I used to live nearby and have had pretty good luck there, and they have speedy service.

Chris
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catwood
Gaucho this is great, im going to have to start making a list of all these places to try. What do you think of Empire Thai? I used to live nearby and have had pretty good luck there, and they have speedy service.
Chris, Ive never been to Empire Thai. Where is it located?
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
tres sargentos, i just walked down libertador and hang a right on tres sargentos i think its 300 something. its run by an american guy.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out when Im back from my travels in March.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 2:10 am

Programs: UA Star Gold (lifetime)
Making the Most of Those Long Argentine Nights

From Today's NYT a nice article on BS AS, with a nice link to a blog about Palermo:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/02/04...04culture.html

trendypalermoviejo.blogspot.com.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for providing the link. Interesting article, although I cannot agree with the authors recommendation of Casa Cruz, which I find is outrageously expensive for Buenos Aires standards and sub-par for quality of food & overall service. Casa Cruz is a great place to see and be seen, but its no culinary experience.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Im happy to report that there is a Japanese Restaurant that I dare recommend here in Buenos Aires. Its not a fancy place, but they do have an authentic menu, good attention to detail and they do serve tuna and other difficult to obtain dishes when they get delivery... which is hard to predict.

Irifune
Paraguay 412
Tel: 4312-8787

Its located in the center of town, close to Av. Leandro Alem and Cordoba. Dont mistake it with Morizono, which is on the street corner (stay away from Morizono).
Wow, I ate there and it was really dreadful, in my opinion. I think your former advice to stay away from Japanese food in BA was spot on!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:14 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Gaucho, thoroughly enjoyed all your numerous posts in the forum.
I am on my way down to Argentina in about 10 days and
read recently about the growing popularity of fine dining
in private houses. Casa Salt Shaker being one example.
Have you had much experience of these establishments?
If so are there many in the market? I find the concept very
appealing.

I must add that BA is the best value place on earth for food.
I entirely agree with your sentiments about Asian food. The same
applies in Chile. Better off sticking to Singapore or the US, the latter especially for sushi.

I did visit BA on one occasion before the economic crisis and it was incredible how my attitude changed with respect to the appeal of its fine dining once the prices were divided by 3. Travellers are mad if they dont take the opportunity to explore this incredible part of the world which must also include both Chile and Peru which are all incredibly good value.

I look forward to visiting your establishment for some wine tasting when I make it into town.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by boar
Gaucho, thoroughly enjoyed all your numerous posts in the forum.
I am on my way down to Argentina in about 10 days and
read recently about the growing popularity of fine dining
in private houses. Casa Salt Shaker being one example.
Have you had much experience of these establishments?
If so are there many in the market? I find the concept very
appealing.
boar, fabulous first post. Welcome to FlyerTalk. If that's the quality of all your posts, you will quickly become a favorite of many here.

I'd never heard of this type of establishment. What a great idea. If you hear of any others, please post them too. Casa Salt Shaker is clearly booked well in advance. It's now on my list of places to plan to visit.

Rita

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.