Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:41 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1
Restaurant Guide

Guys,

Check out my restaurant guide at http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar
It even allows you to vote restaurants. There you can find some good places through a nice search engine.
I hope you like it.
Regards,

e
rumzeis is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:55 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Monterey, CA, USA
Posts: 115
Non-Touristy Parrilla

On my past visit to EZE to visit a son working there, we had a fabulous dinner at La Brigada a neighborhood steakhouse where, like in "Cheers" everyone knows your name and the steak, in my experience is superior to Las Lilas (inconsistent IMHO). La Brigada is located in San Telmo in an area not recommendable for an after dinner walk. To complete the picture, prices are extremely reasonable.
mryflyer is offline  
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:05 am
  #33  
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: MIA / EZE
Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 35,673
Originally Posted by rumzeis
Guys,

Check out my restaurant guide at http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar
It even allows you to vote restaurants. There you can find some good places through a nice search engine.
I hope you like it.
Regards,

e
Thanks for posting this.... ^
Gaucho100K is offline  
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:05 am
  #34  
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: MIA / EZE
Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 35,673
Originally Posted by mryflyer
On my past visit to EZE to visit a son working there, we had a fabulous dinner at La Brigada a neighborhood steakhouse where, like in "Cheers" everyone knows your name and the steak, in my experience is superior to Las Lilas (inconsistent IMHO). La Brigada is located in San Telmo in an area not recommendable for an after dinner walk. To complete the picture, prices are extremely reasonable.
Yes.... absolutely, La Brigada is a great local option. Next time you are in EZE, I suggest you check out El Pobre Luis... ^
Gaucho100K is offline  
Old May 7, 2005, 11:56 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1
Buenos Aires Nightlife

Hey guys if you are planning to visit Buenos Aires and you want to experience its nightlife and beautiful womans then check out http://www.11y11.com under Agenda de Eventos where you will find a complete guide to Buenos aires nightlife and also a restaurant & bar guide.
I hope you like it!
KAPAK is offline  
Old May 14, 2005, 8:44 am
  #36  
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: MIA / EZE
Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 35,673
Back on this thread.....

So Folks... after not visiting this thread for about one year, Ive now bookmarked it and will be adding information regularly. I have a good number of new places to report on, and welcome everybody to add their impressions on the places that are recommended here.

Its important to keep in mind that places change, chefs move, and consistent quality is sometimes rather elusive.... so it would be best for all if we could make this thread as active and visited as the other EZE ultimate Q&A thread.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Gaucho100K is offline  
Old Jun 7, 2005, 9:33 am
  #37  
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: MIA / EZE
Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 35,673
Bump !!!!!!!!!!
Gaucho100K is offline  
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:14 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BWI
Programs: not a thing anymore! :-((
Posts: 121
Dora

over on the chowhound international message board, people absolutely rave about this place....anyone here have an opinion?

thanks.
ellielou is offline  
Old Jun 14, 2005, 8:51 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 472
Originally Posted by ellielou
over on the chowhound international message board, people absolutely rave about this place....anyone here have an opinion?

thanks.
We loved it. Went there for dinner in April. Place was packed. Lots of families. Loud, but not disturbingly so. Busy Busy Busy. The waiters leave the kitchen and tell this guy near the door what they're carrying to which table. Then the guy just types into a computer the delivery and that's how your check is totaled. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful with our weak Spanish and made us feel quite comfortable.

We started with an appetizer to share for the table of chorizo sausage and calamari. The chorizo was superb. Entrees for the three of us were:

Grilled cod in Basque sauce
Grilled trout with garlic and parsley
Lomo

Everyone was happy. Washed it down with a bottle of Alfredo Catena La Mision Malbec 2001. After dinner liqueur was on the house while we waited for our cab.

Last edited by syzygy8; Jun 15, 2005 at 1:18 pm
syzygy8 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:48 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 31
La Bourgogne?

Anyone done Lunch at the Alvear's la Bourgogne? I've heard dinner is good there but how is the lunch? what is the price range?
soccerboi25 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:07 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 97
Dora

Originally Posted by ellielou
over on the chowhound international message board, people absolutely rave about this place....anyone here have an opinion?

thanks.
A porteo colleague took me to eat there a couple of weeks ago and our experience was very good. Almost all the clientele were locals on the night we went, service was typical for BsAs (i.e. friendly but you just about have to set yourself on fire to get your waiter's attention), and the food was quite good, especially the cherne (sea bass).

I'm not sure I'd venture here if I didn't speak at least a little but of Spanish. Afterwards, you're close to the bars and pubs on San Martin.
Angostura is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:35 pm
  #42  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,103
Dora is good and the prior review is correct.

[If you have trouble or don't speak Spanish and have a cell phone while there, the solution is to call the hotel's concierge and have them "translate". And that's presuming the unlikely event that no one in the restaurant will help with even rudimentary English.]
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:21 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Seattle
Posts: 600
Dora sounds awesome...I'm going to check it out in a few weeks on my first EZE trip. And I'll do my best to add my comments on other places afterwards. Thanks for the tips...
bigbrownboy is offline  
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:31 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BWI
Programs: not a thing anymore! :-((
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Dora is good and the prior review is correct.

[If you have trouble or don't speak Spanish and have a cell phone while there, the solution is to call the hotel's concierge and have them "translate". And that's presuming the unlikely event that no one in the restaurant will help with even rudimentary English.]
I have some very rudimentary Spanish at my disposal, but am planning to spend the next five months learning as much as I can... (BTW, does anyone know of a decent self-study program CD or DVD and booklet thing that I can order and learn from home.....?)

Just wondering, though, if the typical foreign travel thing of pointing at other diner's food and gesturing wildly works in BsAs?!
ellielou is offline  
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:51 pm
  #45  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,103
Originally Posted by ellielou
I have some very rudimentary Spanish at my disposal, but am planning to spend the next five months learning as much as I can... (BTW, does anyone know of a decent self-study program CD or DVD and booklet thing that I can order and learn from home.....?)

Just wondering, though, if the typical foreign travel thing of pointing at other diner's food and gesturing wildly works in BsAs?!
Yes, but there are more polite ways of getting the same result.
GUWonder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.