Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I took my better half to Nectarine for Valenteins Day Dinner. The food was excellent, and despite the fact they were running a full house the service was superb. Still one of the best places (if not the best) for fine dining in Buenos Aires.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by daveland
Anyone know about this Gastronomic Festival?
http://www.restaurant.com.ar/main/vernota.php?idnota=59

I can't read the Spanish... is it a big festival in one location?
Im not sure this is very big.... as Ive only realized this was going on after reading your post. Having said that, I was out of town for 4 weeks on vacation so perhaps I missed all the PR that they did before this event launched. This thing seems to be some sort of tasting dinner promotion program, it runs from Jan 4th until Feb 28th at a number of participating restaurant and wine stores. Special tasting menus are available at participating restaurants and accoring to a pre-arranged schedule. It appears that these tasting menus are offered at a promotional price.

Detailed calendar of events is here (sorry, only Spanish it seems):

http://www.restaurant.com.ar/main/vernota.php?idnota=42

Special terms & conditions apply. Please note I have not read all the fine print and I know only a few of the restaurants in this promotion by name.

Sorry for not being more help with this specific issue.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by dedehans
Are there any great 5 star restaurants in the Bariloche area? Staying at Llao llao...
Not sure how many stars it has, but one of the best meals I've ever had was in Bariloche was at a small parrilla (steak house) called El Boliche de Alberto at Villegas 347. I had a 1/2 bottle of wine, a sausage appetizer, a 10 oz filet (that was the small one!) and a side salad. Total of the bill was 34 Argentina pesos, which comes out to about 15 dollars (back in 2003).

Greg

Last edited by GregWTravels; Feb 20, 2006 at 7:02 pm Reason: fixed quotes
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to add that during our last visit to Nectarine, we had the 7 course chef tasting menu, which is offered at AR$170 (pesos) per person. This is approx US$55, and gives everybody a clear idea of what sorts of values you can get in Fine Dining here in Buenos Aires.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:57 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Originally Posted by Herb687
Could someone be so kind as to post the basics of what types/cuts of meat to order at parillas in BUE? Not sure if beef dishes such as "lomo de bife" and "ojo de bife" translate literally. Am curious as to what each of the most popular dishes at parillas would most closely resemble in the typical U.S. ways of serving beef...

Also see people raving about "bife de chorizo," since chorizo here in the U.S. is a seasoned Mexican suasage I'm not sure what to make of that dish at an Argentine parilla. Is chorizo in Argentina different from in Mexico/USA?
I "cut and printed" the following from somewhere a while back and placed it in my "Buenos Aires file" and don't recall the scource...

"The finest cut of beef, and likely to be the highest priced -- though ridiculously inexpensive by international standards -- is Bife de Lomo which equates to Eye Fillet. The most popular cut is Bife de Chorozo, a steak cut off the rib and somewhat similar to Sirloin or Porterhouse. T-bone steak has its equivalent in Bife de Costilla, and is generally enormous. Rib Roast, known as Tira de Asado, is the second most popular cut with Portenos. When grilled on the spit, this cut will be thick and short, if cooked on the char-grill it will be thinner and longer.

Cheaper cuts not generally used for roasting in other countries -- shank, brisket or chuck -- produces a budget-priced steak known as Churrasco. It is inexpensive, yet tasty. The Parrillas will also offer grilled chicken (pollo), pork (Cerdo), kidneys (Rinones), sweetbreads (Mollejas), and a marvelous Argentine sausage called Chorizo. Ask for your beef "bien hecho" if you want it well done, "al punto" if you prefer it medium and "poco hecho" if you like it rare. The bottom part of sirloin porterhouse is known as "vacio" and the flank is called "matambre." Fish is also frequently available at some of the better restaurants. Portenos also like offal and most menus feature lamb's testicles (creadillas), intestines (chinchulines) and udder (ubre)."

I'm in BsAs as I write this and am supposed to meet a Bloke for lunch at La Chacra in a couple days, so I brought out the above for reference!
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by prspad
I "cut and printed" the following from somewhere a while back and placed it in my "Buenos Aires file" and don't recall the scource...
It's from here:

http://www.sallys-place.com/travel/s...enos_aires.htm
Old Mar 14, 2006, 6:09 am
Original Poster

sushi update - the bad news continues

Did a tour of the assumed best places for Sushi in town, and must unfortunatetly report that the news is not good. A very hyped up and publicized place, Osaka, is a joke. No variety in terms of fish, high prices (for EZE standards), and lousy service. Nice place to see and be seen, but if you go for the food you will be dissapointed. Stay away.

Also visited the restaurant of the Japanese Garden (Jardin Japones). Very high prices, good service but the sushi (while better than Osaka) is still sub par. Due to the lack of fresh tuna, they use canned tuna in some of their rolls.... (at least them come clean with this on the menu). Stay away from the Udon... instead of the real japanese noodles they are using hard pasta...

The solution to all this..... when craving for sushi in EZE, settle for Spanish style seafood instead.... head to Oviedo, Jose Luis, Nemo or the Club Vasco Frances.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Did a tour of the assumed best places for Sushi in town, and must unfortunatetly report that the news is not good. A very hyped up and publicized place, Osaka, is a joke. No variety in terms of fish, high prices (for EZE standards), and lousy service. Nice place to see and be seen, but if you go for the food you will be dissapointed. Stay away.

Also visited the restaurant of the Japanese Garden (Jardin Japones). Very high prices, good service but the sushi (while better than Osaka) is still sub par. Due to the lack of fresh tuna, they use canned tuna in some of their rolls.... (at least them come clean with this on the menu). Stay away from the Udon... instead of the real japanese noodles they are using hard pasta...

The solution to all this..... when craving for sushi in EZE, settle for Spanish style seafood instead.... head to Oviedo, Jose Luis, Nemo or the Club Vasco Frances.
Gaucho, a friend told me that there was a Japanese Restaurant in the Food Court, of all places, in the upscale Paseo Alcorta on the upper level, that had decent sushi! Have you heard of such a place? In any event, since I'm in BsAs as I write this, I'll stick to the great beef, especially since President Nestor Kirchner placed a 6 month ban on Argentine beef exports effective last Friday! http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...=latin_america

With the huge Japanese community in Southern California, we have a large number of really good sushi places to choose from, so I'll wait until I return home next week to visit my favorite, Asanebo in Studio City or Tama Sushi a few doors down!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prspad
Gaucho, a friend told me that there was a Japanese Restaurant in the Food Court, of all places, in the upscale Paseo Alcorta on the upper level, that had decent sushi! Have you heard of such a place? In any event, since I'm in BsAs as I write this, I'll stick to the great beef, especially since President Nestor Kirchner placed a 6 month ban on Argentine beef exports effective last Friday! http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...=latin_america

With the huge Japanese community in Southern California, we have a large number of really good sushi places to choose from, so I'll wait until I return home next week to visit my favorite, Asanebo in Studio City or Tama Sushi a few doors down!
Thanks for the sushi recommendation, although I must say that I am very very sceptical. Regarding the ban on exports, please note that this measure is being contested in court, and will most probably not hold up. Also, it must be said that all Hilton Quota exports, and all special bilateral trade agreements specific to beef are not affected by this measure so there isnt really much to worry about.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Had some great meals in BUE

I had some very memorable meals during my recent(march '06)virgin trip o Buenos Aires.
Some of the more memorable meals:
Lunch at Casa Rocha-a former mansion off Florida now serving lunch.Like eating in a turn of the century private home.
Lunch at Petanque on Defensa in San Telmo-great frinch bistro in a fantastic atmosphere.
Dinner at Pariila 1880 in San Telmo-not fancy,but great food with some very nice local folks.
Dinner at Sanjuanino in Recoleta-another great neighborhood place.Very good "down home"argentinian restaurant with very friendly staff.
Dinner at Nectarine-One of the finest meals we have ever had.The care,love and pride that goes into the food as well as the great service made our meal there one we will always remember.
Dinner at La Cabrera in Palermo-Not only great meat,this parrilla also presents wonderful sides with your entree.And the Dolce de Lece is fantastic.
All of these were incredibly inexpensive by US standards.Nectarine was the pricest but that was still a third of a comperable meal in LA-if you could find a place that put so much work into the food.
LOVED Buenos Aires!
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:46 pm

i've had some great meals in BA recently too. although my budget is quite low!

cafe san juan in san telmo was probably the best. great modern argentine and world cuisine, although i think the menu changes every night, it just amounts to a specials board, which means although the choice isn't huge, it will atleast be a different experience each time you go. the food was great though.

i like manolo in san telmo for a really really cheap place to eat. they do lomo or bife de chorizo steaks in really interesting sauces or with different fillings. different to the average parilla. or mounds of good pasta. all in a very packed and atmospheric environment, lots of portenos there, lots of football memorabilia on the walls.

el establo near plaza san martin/florida shopping street, on paraguay, is my favourite parilla restaurant. and the most expensive place i will metion today, though not too expsensive, and still good value.

for something different, bangalore indian curry house and pub in palermo (corner of humboldt and niceto vega) does the best curries i have tasted in BA, plus it is cheaper than the othe places. my favourite there is the beef vindaloo. they also do nice veggie curries. and proper pnts of ale or bitter to wash it down with!

thats all i can think of right now. i will be back another time with more.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the curry recommendations, I will check it out next week when I return to EZE.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 5:20 am

Programs: UA plat - Marriott plat
I will fly my better half to BA for an extended w/end arriving Sat 5/13 and Leaving Wed 5/17. Any place you could recommend for a few barely-above-beginner tango lessons?
Old May 6, 2006, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

update on Sinclair Restaurant

As you will read in many guidebooks, places change (sometimes for better, other times for worse).

This time, Im afraid I have to report on a very negative change in what was once a great place to have a meal. Sinclair restaurant is definetely not on my recommendated list any more.

Went there last night with two other couples and the meal was a scandal. Prices are (for EZE standards) very high and everybody was greatly dissapointed. Service was also sub par, with the wine not served at the proper temperature, and less than adequate glassware for an establishment of this caliber and price range.
Old May 27, 2006, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Nectarine Restaurant review update

I hosted a wine dinner a couple of days back at Nectarine. We sat down with Chef Rodrigo Sieiro and designed a 9 course tasting menu around 19 wines. Amazing food, and excellent service. Glad to report that Nectarine is still one of the best high end restaurants in Buenos Aires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.