Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Not that I don't believe you (LOL!) But it's been a couple of years since anyone has proven a US Centurion admission. So all you supposed new US Centurion CardMembers: How about a photo of the new Centurion Welcome Kit??
A photo of the Card with an expiration date would be helpful. Of Course, you can blur out the name and card number!!

Actually, even a photo of an INVITE would be a plus!

Last edited by mia; Jan 9, 2015 at 7:31 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:37 pm

My 2015 intro comment.

1. I wish the bloviators would stay off the post. we get that you don't see the value. I don't need to sift through pages of your opinions on why the card isn't worth it. The subject is ~"has anyone received an invite?" not "what do you think?"...we get it...enough.

2. Thank you for those who have responded with relevant content!

3. I closed out 2014 over 300k lots of FHR. Done this for several years. Platinum. Pay my bill in full each month. Member since 2007. no invite yet.

Fingers are still crossed. It will eventually come.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by kneeoh
My 2015 intro comment.

1. I wish the bloviators would stay off the post. we get that you don't see the value. I don't need to sift through pages of your opinions on why the card isn't worth it. The subject is ~"has anyone received an invite?" not "what do you think?"...we get it...enough.

3. I closed out 2014 over 300k lots of FHR. Done this for several years. Platinum. Pay my bill in full each month. Member since 2007. no invite yet.

^
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:47 am

My 2015 intro comment.

I couldn't agree more ^
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: Amex mr, spg, delta, aeroplan
from a reliable source, for Amex Canada centurion invites go out around April, just once a year.

and a significant new centurion benefit will be announced this summer. (i have no clue wha it will be, anyone's guess?)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by isherlock
and a significant new centurion benefit will be announced this summer. (i have no clue wha it will be, anyone's guess?)
Ah, the proverbial carrot...there has been a lot of deterioration but hey, at least the bail bond is still an active benefit!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:05 am

I really think we're seeing the result of the failed Centurion experiment.

So Amex has these HVCs and wants to monetize more their relationship with them...so they come up with this idea to charge an additional fee on top of the what - $5k? they make off each 250k of spend. To do this though they have to put this strategy together where they reach out to these merchants, airlines, hotels...etc. and say 'hey we have these HVC's, we'd like them to be your HVCs too, we work together and they'll spend more money with you and you'll see, this will pay for itself' - well it didnt. They found that yeah hey great I may fly on US four times a year and appreciate the upgrade, but when I go international and pay for premium sorry I'm flying elsewhere. And oh yeah when I stay at a hilton a few times a year, I'll appreciate the free breakfast but I'm still paying for the cheapest room before haggling for an upgrade. The silly requirements like 2 days with hilton in a year for diamond (really, TWO?) and the delta now needing 8 segments/year to get 'real' platinum status show that this centurion experiment is likely at its end...all of the airlines, hotels, merchants...etc are seeing that every time they give something free out - we walk in and get a free $500 pen or some nonsense...they dont want us getting a free pen they want us spending 10k on a bag - THATS why there arent as many free offers.

That being said - I think its very sad that amex doesnt do something material for centurion card holders like 2pts per dollar on ALL spend - now THAT would be something AMEX can control, something we can see every statement - imagine a line item *centurion points bonus. Beyond that - Delta has recovered enough to tell Amex to pound sand. US/AA is using the merger as an excuse to get out of the arrangement, CO/UA, same thing, Mandarin same thing, Hilton same thing, Starwood same thing, Hyatt same thing...see the pattern? Each of those companies gave the experiment a chance...but they all realized it didnt materially influence our spend.

Amex tried to convince these companies that having this cozy relationship with their HVCs would pan out into some amazing fountain of money but then they found that the benefits the Card provides are targeted to cheapskates (like me).

Just my two cents...and adding gogo internet - thats great thank you - that helps offset my $50 in gogo charges from last year (woo hoo). Since Amex got us all to kick in the $5k 'initiation fee' they realize oh gosh if we cancel this card these folks are going to flip and besides its a great halo product...so us suckers continue to fund the experiment.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by sirikit

. . .

Amex tried to convince these companies that having this cozy relationship with their HVCs would pan out into some amazing fountain of money but then they found that the benefits the Card provides are targeted to cheapskates (like me).
So AMEX goes to an "everyday" model now? I wonder what the future holds...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold

So Amex has these HVCs and wants to monetize more their relationship with them...so they come up with this idea to charge an additional fee on top of the what - $5k? they make off each 250k of spend. To do this though they have to put this strategy together where they reach out to these merchants, airlines, hotels...etc. and say 'hey we have these HVC's, we'd like them to be your HVCs too, we work together and they'll spend more money with you and you'll see, this will pay for itself' - well it didnt. They found that yeah hey great I may fly on US four times a year and appreciate the upgrade, but when I go international and pay for premium sorry I'm flying elsewhere. And oh yeah when I stay at a hilton a few times a year, I'll appreciate the free breakfast but I'm still paying for the cheapest room before haggling for an upgrade. The silly requirements like 2 days with hilton in a year for diamond (really, TWO?) and the delta now needing 8 segments/year to get 'real' platinum status show that this centurion experiment is likely at its end...all of the airlines, hotels, merchants...etc are seeing that every time they give something free out - we walk in and get a free $500 pen or some nonsense...they dont want us getting a free pen they want us spending 10k on a bag - THATS why there arent as many free offers.

That being said - I think its very sad that amex doesnt do something material for centurion card holders like 2pts per dollar on ALL spend - now THAT would be something AMEX can control, something we can see every statement - imagine a line item *centurion points bonus. Beyond that - Delta has recovered enough to tell Amex to pound sand. US/AA is using the merger as an excuse to get out of the arrangement, CO/UA, same thing, Mandarin same thing, Hilton same thing, Starwood same thing, Hyatt same thing...see the pattern? Each of those companies gave the experiment a chance...but they all realized it didnt materially influence our spend.

Just my two cents...and adding gogo internet - thats great thank you - that helps offset my $50 in gogo charges from last year (woo hoo). Since Amex got us all to kick in the $5k 'initiation fee' they realize oh gosh if we cancel this card these folks are going to flip and besides its a great halo product...so us suckers continue to fund the experiment.

Post of the week! You hit the nail on the head, word by word!

Heads-up: Hong Kong is still inviting people on a cherry-pick basis. Their sales person there is scouting without any pre-determined "round of invitations" kind of schedule.

Trying to glimpse the requirements it seems to be a rather arbitrary, case-by-case management decision at this time.

No shortage of HNWI / HVC in HKG so you probably do need to be a heavy hitter to get looked at.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
My 2015 intro comment.

Virtually same boat as you. Member since 08, ended '14 with ~350k, many FHR stays across asia and a few in europe. Bill paid in full each month. Zilch.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:24 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
That being said - I think its very sad that amex doesnt do something material for centurion card holders like 2pts per dollar on ALL spend - now THAT would be something AMEX can control, something we can see every statement - imagine a line item *centurion points bonus.
Amex provides 1.5 points to 1 for Centurion Cardholders in the Netherlands. If you combine with using a (NL) Green for one of your cards you can get 2.0 points to 1 for purchases outside of the Netherlands (and on PayPal).
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage / JetSmarter / AMEX Business Gold, Plat, SPG
been an amex user since 2012.. but in 2013 we spent over 1.4 mil on the card (Plum/Gold business)... 2014 we spent over 2.4 Million across our gold/plat/plum.

Amex called me, They said I was in their top 5% of Small buisness spenders for 2014. They gave me a 'highest tier' client partner rep who wanted to meet up with me and talk about how they can help me ? He also hooked me up with some free rangers/islanders tickets which was cool

I haven't met up with him yet, but I'm really curious if I could get the centurion invite .. We pay off our bills on time every time, and obviously they are noticing my spend if they are putting me into their top support tiers..

Any ideas or suggestions guys?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage / JetSmarter / AMEX Business Gold, Plat, SPG
within 2 years we spent 3.8 million, they made a pretty penny off me lol
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by slay0r
Any ideas or suggestions guys?
Welcome to FlyerTalk. How much of the spending is on inventory?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
Business partner was invited and accepted in December. He spends approximately 100k a month on the card. He first signed up for Amex Plat last year so is fairly new to Amex.

Last edited by JackDaniels; Jan 14, 2015 at 10:09 am Reason: additional info on years a member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.