Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Old Jan 2, 15, 4:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: California USA
Posts: 522
Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Its that time again. I am starting a 2015 thread

2014 thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...am-2014-a.html
SteveT is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 4:58 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geneva, Dubai, Paris
Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Posts: 1,844
It's amazing that this card continues to fascinate so many people despite the fact that its fee has increased so much over the years and benefits have continually been diluted.
JohnRain is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 5:14 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 323
Yay for continued threads, and continued attempts.

(Subscribed)
GrnLantern is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 9:15 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3
Metal cards are always attractive.
lhzeng is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 10:29 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by lhzeng View Post
Metal cards are always attractive.
That's silly, a CSP will get you a metal card for 0.76% of the Centurion after one year (fee waived the first year).
jft3 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 323
Originally Posted by jft3 View Post
That's silly, a CSP will get you a metal card for 0.76% of the Centurion after one year (fee waived the first year).
As someone who has the CSP, and some of the other metal cards out there, I can honestly say that they need to step it up with the quality of the metal in the CSP. It's far too floppy. The plastic CSP "feels" better than the metal one.

The metal Palladium and Ritz-Carlton cards, however, feel amazing.
GrnLantern is offline  
Old Jan 3, 15, 7:13 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,365
Originally Posted by JohnRain View Post
It's amazing that this card continues to fascinate so many people despite the fact that its fee has increased so much over the years and benefits have continually been diluted.
I'd argue that it's far more amazing that people who actually have the card, know the benefits (and reductions thereof), complain about it endlessly on FT, and yet continue to pay the increased fees, year in and year out.

That is orders of magnitude more perplexing for me to grasp than why someone who has no first hand experience with the product seems to be mesmerized by it.

And you cancelled on what date, specifically?

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Jan 3, 15 at 8:42 am
scubadu is offline  
Old Jan 3, 15, 12:13 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geneva, Dubai, Paris
Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Posts: 1,844
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
I'd argue that it's far more amazing that people who actually have the card, know the benefits (and reductions thereof), complain about it endlessly on FT, and yet continue to pay the increased fees, year in and year out.

That is orders of magnitude more perplexing for me to grasp than why someone who has no first hand experience with the product seems to be mesmerized by it.

And you cancelled on what date, specifically?

Regards
On the few occasions where I have complained about the card here on FT, it has always been because of the relative inferiority of the SWISS Cent card compared to other countries. I would be perfectly happy with the card if I had the same benefits as American, French or German cardholders.
JohnRain is offline  
Old Jan 3, 15, 12:43 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,021
People who have this card do not have to worry about the increased fees each year. If that amount was a concern to them, they would not qualify in the first place.
Second, for the same reasons above, many feel they have the entitlement and right to complain about whatever they want.
Bottom line, this card is all about prestige. We can say it isn't but we would be lying. Man up and call it what it is.
HawkeyeFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 3, 15, 7:05 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geneva, Dubai, Paris
Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Posts: 1,844
Originally Posted by snapper6768 View Post
People who have this card do not have to worry about the increased fees each year. If that amount was a concern to them, they would not qualify in the first place.
Second, for the same reasons above, many feel they have the entitlement and right to complain about whatever they want.
Bottom line, this card is all about prestige. We can say it isn't but we would be lying. Man up and call it what it is.
Not sure what qualifies you to speak for "people who have this card". I know a lot of Cent customers and most of them couldn't care less about its prestige (I certainly don't.) They have the card for a variety of reasons, the most common being the travel benefits that come with it, the insurance package and the personalized service (in that order). It is a misconception to think that just because you have money you don't care about a fee increase; in reality the opposite is true.

Last edited by JohnRain; Jan 4, 15 at 4:04 am
JohnRain is offline  
Old Jan 3, 15, 11:24 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Platinum, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,179
Originally Posted by GrnLantern View Post
As someone who has the CSP, and some of the other metal cards out there, I can honestly say that they need to step it up with the quality of the metal in the CSP. It's far too floppy. The plastic CSP "feels" better than the metal one.

The metal Palladium and Ritz-Carlton cards, however, feel amazing.
I concur regarding CSP and Ritz. The Ritz card is amazing. The front desk person told me (she was new and did not see that it was a Ritz CC) that this card feels just like the Amex Black card!
jediwho is offline  
Old Jan 4, 15, 12:09 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 38
A standard credit card is about 5 grams. The CSP is 12 grams and the Ritz/Palladium is 28 grams (1oz). Is the Centurion 1oz also?

It's heavy but I've pretty much gotten used to the weight.
Nepasser is offline  
Old Jan 5, 15, 2:08 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 323
Originally Posted by Nepasser View Post
A standard credit card is about 5 grams. The CSP is 12 grams and the Ritz/Palladium is 28 grams (1oz). Is the Centurion 1oz also?

It's heavy but I've pretty much gotten used to the weight.
My Ritz card weighed in at almost 30g, oddly enough. And my Palladium at 28g.
GrnLantern is offline  
Old Jan 5, 15, 3:26 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by JohnRain View Post
It's amazing that this card continues to fascinate so many people despite the fact that its fee has increased so much over the years and benefits have continually been diluted.
Certain economic theory would say the price increases will make it more attractive to those looking for exclusivity not less.

Not aware of any other cards issued in the UK that are metal other than the Centurion?
Astaroth is offline  
Old Jan 5, 15, 5:28 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Programs: DL DM; Amex Centurion, Delta Reserve; US Air Plat; Avis PC; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Global Entry
Posts: 2
I can tell you some invites are going out. After trying for two years, and with Centurion members favorable recommendations, along with an $800k spend last year, my friend received his invite two days ago. If he doesn't apply, the invite will expire on 1/27. Needless to say, he's applying first thing this morning.
kmoney25 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: