Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Its that time again. I am starting a 2015 thread

2014 thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...am-2014-a.html
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
It's amazing that this card continues to fascinate so many people despite the fact that its fee has increased so much over the years and benefits have continually been diluted.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:14 pm

Yay for continued threads, and continued attempts.

(Subscribed)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:15 pm

Metal cards are always attractive.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by lhzeng
Metal cards are always attractive.
That's silly, a CSP will get you a metal card for 0.76% of the Centurion after one year (fee waived the first year).
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by jft3
That's silly, a CSP will get you a metal card for 0.76% of the Centurion after one year (fee waived the first year).
As someone who has the CSP, and some of the other metal cards out there, I can honestly say that they need to step it up with the quality of the metal in the CSP. It's far too floppy. The plastic CSP "feels" better than the metal one.

The metal Palladium and Ritz-Carlton cards, however, feel amazing.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JohnRain
It's amazing that this card continues to fascinate so many people despite the fact that its fee has increased so much over the years and benefits have continually been diluted.
I'd argue that it's far more amazing that people who actually have the card, know the benefits (and reductions thereof), complain about it endlessly on FT, and yet continue to pay the increased fees, year in and year out.

That is orders of magnitude more perplexing for me to grasp than why someone who has no first hand experience with the product seems to be mesmerized by it.

And you cancelled on what date, specifically?

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Jan 3, 2015 at 8:42 am
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'd argue that it's far more amazing that people who actually have the card, know the benefits (and reductions thereof), complain about it endlessly on FT, and yet continue to pay the increased fees, year in and year out.

That is orders of magnitude more perplexing for me to grasp than why someone who has no first hand experience with the product seems to be mesmerized by it.

And you cancelled on what date, specifically?

Regards
On the few occasions where I have complained about the card here on FT, it has always been because of the relative inferiority of the SWISS Cent card compared to other countries. I would be perfectly happy with the card if I had the same benefits as American, French or German cardholders.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
People who have this card do not have to worry about the increased fees each year. If that amount was a concern to them, they would not qualify in the first place.
Second, for the same reasons above, many feel they have the entitlement and right to complain about whatever they want.
Bottom line, this card is all about prestige. We can say it isn't but we would be lying. Man up and call it what it is.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by snapper6768
People who have this card do not have to worry about the increased fees each year. If that amount was a concern to them, they would not qualify in the first place.
Second, for the same reasons above, many feel they have the entitlement and right to complain about whatever they want.
Bottom line, this card is all about prestige. We can say it isn't but we would be lying. Man up and call it what it is.
Not sure what qualifies you to speak for "people who have this card". I know a lot of Cent customers and most of them couldn't care less about its prestige (I certainly don't.) They have the card for a variety of reasons, the most common being the travel benefits that come with it, the insurance package and the personalized service (in that order). It is a misconception to think that just because you have money you don't care about a fee increase; in reality the opposite is true.

Last edited by JohnRain; Jan 4, 2015 at 4:04 am
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
As someone who has the CSP, and some of the other metal cards out there, I can honestly say that they need to step it up with the quality of the metal in the CSP. It's far too floppy. The plastic CSP "feels" better than the metal one.

The metal Palladium and Ritz-Carlton cards, however, feel amazing.
I concur regarding CSP and Ritz. The Ritz card is amazing. The front desk person told me (she was new and did not see that it was a Ritz CC) that this card feels just like the Amex Black card!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:09 am

A standard credit card is about 5 grams. The CSP is 12 grams and the Ritz/Palladium is 28 grams (1oz). Is the Centurion 1oz also?

It's heavy but I've pretty much gotten used to the weight.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Nepasser
A standard credit card is about 5 grams. The CSP is 12 grams and the Ritz/Palladium is 28 grams (1oz). Is the Centurion 1oz also?

It's heavy but I've pretty much gotten used to the weight.
My Ritz card weighed in at almost 30g, oddly enough. And my Palladium at 28g.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Certain economic theory would say the price increases will make it more attractive to those looking for exclusivity not less.

Not aware of any other cards issued in the UK that are metal other than the Centurion?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: DL DM; Amex Centurion, Delta Reserve; US Air Plat; Avis PC; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Global Entry
I can tell you some invites are going out. After trying for two years, and with Centurion members favorable recommendations, along with an $800k spend last year, my friend received his invite two days ago. If he doesn't apply, the invite will expire on 1/27. Needless to say, he's applying first thing this morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.