FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1642191-has-anyone-actually-received-invite-centurion-program-2015-a.html)

SteveT Jan 2, 2015 4:44 pm

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?

Its that time again. I am starting a 2015 thread

2014 thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...am-2014-a.html

JohnRain Jan 2, 2015 4:58 pm

It's amazing that this card continues to fascinate so many people despite the fact that its fee has increased so much over the years and benefits have continually been diluted.

GrnLantern Jan 2, 2015 5:14 pm

Yay for continued threads, and continued attempts.

(Subscribed)

lhzeng Jan 2, 2015 9:15 pm

Metal cards are always attractive.

jft3 Jan 2, 2015 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by lhzeng (Post 24091752)
Metal cards are always attractive.

That's silly, a CSP will get you a metal card for 0.76% of the Centurion after one year (fee waived the first year).

GrnLantern Jan 2, 2015 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by jft3 (Post 24091968)
That's silly, a CSP will get you a metal card for 0.76% of the Centurion after one year (fee waived the first year).

As someone who has the CSP, and some of the other metal cards out there, I can honestly say that they need to step it up with the quality of the metal in the CSP. It's far too floppy. The plastic CSP "feels" better than the metal one. :(

The metal Palladium and Ritz-Carlton cards, however, feel amazing.

scubadu Jan 3, 2015 7:13 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 24090796)
It's amazing that this card continues to fascinate so many people despite the fact that its fee has increased so much over the years and benefits have continually been diluted.

I'd argue that it's far more amazing that people who actually have the card, know the benefits (and reductions thereof), complain about it endlessly on FT, and yet continue to pay the increased fees, year in and year out.

That is orders of magnitude more perplexing for me to grasp than why someone who has no first hand experience with the product seems to be mesmerized by it.

And you cancelled on what date, specifically?

Regards

JohnRain Jan 3, 2015 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 24093246)
I'd argue that it's far more amazing that people who actually have the card, know the benefits (and reductions thereof), complain about it endlessly on FT, and yet continue to pay the increased fees, year in and year out.

That is orders of magnitude more perplexing for me to grasp than why someone who has no first hand experience with the product seems to be mesmerized by it.

And you cancelled on what date, specifically?

Regards

On the few occasions where I have complained about the card here on FT, it has always been because of the relative inferiority of the SWISS Cent card compared to other countries. I would be perfectly happy with the card if I had the same benefits as American, French or German cardholders.

HawkeyeFlyer Jan 3, 2015 12:43 pm

People who have this card do not have to worry about the increased fees each year. If that amount was a concern to them, they would not qualify in the first place.
Second, for the same reasons above, many feel they have the entitlement and right to complain about whatever they want.
Bottom line, this card is all about prestige. We can say it isn't but we would be lying. Man up and call it what it is.

JohnRain Jan 3, 2015 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by snapper6768 (Post 24094673)
People who have this card do not have to worry about the increased fees each year. If that amount was a concern to them, they would not qualify in the first place.
Second, for the same reasons above, many feel they have the entitlement and right to complain about whatever they want.
Bottom line, this card is all about prestige. We can say it isn't but we would be lying. Man up and call it what it is.

Not sure what qualifies you to speak for "people who have this card". I know a lot of Cent customers and most of them couldn't care less about its prestige (I certainly don't.) They have the card for a variety of reasons, the most common being the travel benefits that come with it, the insurance package and the personalized service (in that order). It is a misconception to think that just because you have money you don't care about a fee increase; in reality the opposite is true.

jediwho Jan 3, 2015 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by GrnLantern (Post 24092151)
As someone who has the CSP, and some of the other metal cards out there, I can honestly say that they need to step it up with the quality of the metal in the CSP. It's far too floppy. The plastic CSP "feels" better than the metal one. :(

The metal Palladium and Ritz-Carlton cards, however, feel amazing.

I concur regarding CSP and Ritz. The Ritz card is amazing. The front desk person told me (she was new and did not see that it was a Ritz CC) that this card feels just like the Amex Black card!

Nepasser Jan 4, 2015 12:09 am

A standard credit card is about 5 grams. The CSP is 12 grams and the Ritz/Palladium is 28 grams (1oz). Is the Centurion 1oz also?

It's heavy but I've pretty much gotten used to the weight.

GrnLantern Jan 5, 2015 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Nepasser (Post 24097099)
A standard credit card is about 5 grams. The CSP is 12 grams and the Ritz/Palladium is 28 grams (1oz). Is the Centurion 1oz also?

It's heavy but I've pretty much gotten used to the weight.

My Ritz card weighed in at almost 30g, oddly enough. And my Palladium at 28g.

Astaroth Jan 5, 2015 3:26 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 24090796)

Certain economic theory would say the price increases will make it more attractive to those looking for exclusivity not less.

Not aware of any other cards issued in the UK that are metal other than the Centurion?

kmoney25 Jan 5, 2015 5:28 am

I can tell you some invites are going out. After trying for two years, and with Centurion members favorable recommendations, along with an $800k spend last year, my friend received his invite two days ago. If he doesn't apply, the invite will expire on 1/27. Needless to say, he's applying first thing this morning. :)