FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2015?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:05 am
sirikit

I really think we're seeing the result of the failed Centurion experiment.

So Amex has these HVCs and wants to monetize more their relationship with them...so they come up with this idea to charge an additional fee on top of the what - $5k? they make off each 250k of spend. To do this though they have to put this strategy together where they reach out to these merchants, airlines, hotels...etc. and say 'hey we have these HVC's, we'd like them to be your HVCs too, we work together and they'll spend more money with you and you'll see, this will pay for itself' - well it didnt. They found that yeah hey great I may fly on US four times a year and appreciate the upgrade, but when I go international and pay for premium sorry I'm flying elsewhere. And oh yeah when I stay at a hilton a few times a year, I'll appreciate the free breakfast but I'm still paying for the cheapest room before haggling for an upgrade. The silly requirements like 2 days with hilton in a year for diamond (really, TWO?) and the delta now needing 8 segments/year to get 'real' platinum status show that this centurion experiment is likely at its end...all of the airlines, hotels, merchants...etc are seeing that every time they give something free out - we walk in and get a free $500 pen or some nonsense...they dont want us getting a free pen they want us spending 10k on a bag - THATS why there arent as many free offers.

That being said - I think its very sad that amex doesnt do something material for centurion card holders like 2pts per dollar on ALL spend - now THAT would be something AMEX can control, something we can see every statement - imagine a line item *centurion points bonus. Beyond that - Delta has recovered enough to tell Amex to pound sand. US/AA is using the merger as an excuse to get out of the arrangement, CO/UA, same thing, Mandarin same thing, Hilton same thing, Starwood same thing, Hyatt same thing...see the pattern? Each of those companies gave the experiment a chance...but they all realized it didnt materially influence our spend.

Amex tried to convince these companies that having this cozy relationship with their HVCs would pan out into some amazing fountain of money but then they found that the benefits the Card provides are targeted to cheapskates (like me).

Just my two cents...and adding gogo internet - thats great thank you - that helps offset my $50 in gogo charges from last year (woo hoo). Since Amex got us all to kick in the $5k 'initiation fee' they realize oh gosh if we cancel this card these folks are going to flip and besides its a great halo product...so us suckers continue to fund the experiment.