Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by zsurf
I bought 2x $50 and 1x $75 e-GCs through AA.com and it showed up as a single $175 charge. I don't think I will get automatically reimbursed, as my statement closed a day later and no statement credit on there. Be wary of this.
Please let us know if you get reimbursed. I thought AA gift certificates were reimbursable.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Please let us know if you get reimbursed. I thought AA gift certificates were reimbursable.
Will let you know, but what I meant was that I think I may have botched it by ordering gc's in one batch, therefore causing AA.com to place a single order of $175. most people gave been in the clear at $100 and under increments.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:45 pm

bought 2 $100 e-gift cards from AA on the 26th and still no credit yet... will update if they post anytime soon

UPDATE: 2 AMEX airline reimbursement fees of $100 each posted on 9/1!

Last edited by noogin; Sep 2, 2011 at 3:06 pm Reason: update
Old Sep 3, 2011, 11:40 am

Bought 4-$50 AA GC on Aug 29th and got reimbursed Sep 1st...thanks FT!!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by swat16
You could have bought gift cards and you would definitely be ok. Let us know if they the get credited.
Just to follow up on my post with regards to reimbursements of 2 AA tickets, $121/each, totaling $242. I got reimbursed by AMEX for $200, with $42 left to pay by me. ^
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dbh1
...AA 500 mile upgrades?
See post 222 , but to be safe don't buy more than three upgrades in a single transaction.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:22 pm

do be wary

Originally Posted by zsurf
Will let you know, but what I meant was that I think I may have botched it by ordering gc's in one batch, therefore causing AA.com to place a single order of $175. most people gave been in the clear at $100 and under increments.
I did the same, bought 4 x $50 GC's foolishly in one batch. It's been 2 weeks over my last statement and no credit.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:46 pm

I want to go ahead and purchase some AA gift cards now, good I checked here first and saw that the safest is to buy it in 4 X $50 cards, why? Do I make 4 seperate transactions? But than is it sure I will get it?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:50 am

Do the AA electronic gift cards expire?

What is the consensus so far on getting reimbursed for these - 4 separate $50 transactions, or all at once?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by j-rad

What is the consensus so far on getting reimbursed for these - 4 separate $50 transactions, or all at once?
Obviously they need to be separate transactions. If you go to the grocery store does each item get charged separately to your CC? So don't add 4x$50 gift cards to your AA cart and then check out. (I admit I almost did this too without thinking).

As to doing them all at once or spacing them out, it seems to make no difference. Although again, this is YMMV. If you don't need them right away why not try one $50 charge and wait a few days and see what happens?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j-rad
No
Old Sep 11, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
So accumulating a bunch of $50 AA gift certs over time seems to be a viable option, however, what do I do with a bunch of $50 AA gift certs. The ToS seem to say that the GC's can basically can only be used to buy cash tickets. I have lots of AA miles. I would rather something that would pay the taxes&fees or get them for a different airline. Do people have a lot of experience on getting reimbursed for GC's on airlines other than AA?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by drbobguy
Obviously they need to be separate transactions. If you go to the grocery store does each item get charged separately to your CC? So don't add 4x$50 gift cards to your AA cart and then check out. (I admit I almost did this too without thinking).

As to doing them all at once or spacing them out, it seems to make no difference. Although again, this is YMMV. If you don't need them right away why not try one $50 charge and wait a few days and see what happens?
I did 2x$100 GCs on AA.com, spaced out by 3 weeks and both were promptly reimbursed.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:34 am

I just bought 50$ AA gift card, and the charge posted today as following. Is this good? Hopefully this gets reimbursed, what do u guys think?

AA MISC SALE/ TAX/ FDALLAS TX
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by troyhouse
I just bought 50$ AA gift card, and the charge posted today as following. Is this good? Hopefully this gets reimbursed, what do u guys think?

AA MISC SALE/ TAX/ FDALLAS TX
I would be surprised if it didn't. Pretty much anything below $100 appears to get reimbursed. You should know within a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.