Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Often1
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There may be dollar limits to the carrier's liability that the other coverages would supplement.
Which is why I asked the question.

What is it that AA won't cover which he needs to fall back on insurance to recover? It's the first question any carrier will pose given that they will uniformly be secondary to AA.
The Citicard supplemental coverage indicates that a copy of the "disposition of the Common Carrier claim" must be submitted as part of any claim made under the card's supplemental coverage. So if there is anything covered that the carrier does not reimburse (presumably because of dollar limits on carrier liability due to the contract of carriage or international conventions), then the supplemental coverage should cover the difference, up to the dollar limit of the card's coverage (and subject to particular exclusions, like jewelry, cameras, cash, etc.)

Since the OP estimates the loss at $3,000, I think it likely that the OP will be made whole, either by AA, or by a combination of AA and Citi. But I'm not sure whether -- or to what extent -- depreciation is taken into account by AA or a supplemental insurer.

The OP should note that the Citi coverage requires that the loss be "immediately" reported to the carrier, and that the cardholder notify Citi's Program Administrator of the loss within 45 days of the loss (even if the claim with the carrier has not yet been resolved).
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA, just like Citi, covers "fair market value" not repacement cost. There are some homeowners policies which provide for replacement cost, but I certainly wouldn't file a $3K claim on a homeowners policy if AA paid $0.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:54 pm

My bag has been lost by AA for the past 6 weeks after flying to the Caribbean in paid J (I am an EXP). I've sent in the claim form three weeks ago and have put in numerous calls without resolution. Does anyone know what to expect/how to proceed?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: BA silver
Lost luggage from AA flight (on BA ticket) to MIA to join cruise

Flew WAshington to Miami first with AA though booked with BA They didn't load our bags and we are on a cruise tomorrow and have no clothes or anything. On line it says bags not traced and AA not answering phone. They didn't give us anything to get urgent bits. When we landed in Miami they said our bags would arrive on next flight that evening. Liars!! There were no other flights . Do you think BA might help us if we go back to the airport .we only have our jeans and top we travelled in. how can we go on a two week cruise. I'm so upset
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sarahuk
Flew WAshington to Miami first with AA though booked with BA They didn't load our bags and we are on a cruise tomorrow and have no clothes or anything. On line it says bags not traced and AA not answering phone. They didn't give us anything to get urgent bits. When we landed in Miami they said our bags would arrive on next flight that evening. Liars!! There were no other flights . Do you think BA might help us if we go back to the airport .we only have our jeans and top we travelled in. how can we go on a two week cruise. I'm so upset
Have you got insurance? They will be your best bet.

Just go out and spend some money on new clothes - worry about getting the money back after your cruise.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's what you should do in this situation. Spend what you would spend if you know it's out of pocket unless you have a go ahead from your insurance carrier or AA. Because the worst scenario is that it will be out of pocket.

So, you are in Miami, headed for a cruise and need what you need.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As your ticket is/was with AA they are the point of contact. BA can't and won't do anything.

Go and buy what you need, enjoy the cruise and sort it out later.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Have you got insurance? They will be your best bet.

Just go out and spend some money on new clothes - worry about getting the money back after your cruise.
Im too embarrassed to claim on my insurance as this is the same cruise I went on in Jan this year and on the second day had to fly home as my mother was ill. My insuance just paid out a large sum last week to cover the unused portion of the cruise and CW flights home from Miami.
Sadly my mum passed away12 days after I got home.
This was supposed to be a rest to try and get over all the recent stress etc.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by sarahuk
Im too embarrassed to claim on my insurance as this is the same cruise I went on in Jan this year and on the second day had to fly home as my mother was ill. My insuance just paid out a large sum last week to cover the unused portion of the cruise and CW flights home from Miami.
Sadly my mum passed away12 days after I got home.
This was supposed to be a rest to try and get over all the recent stress etc.
Don't be embarassed - that's what you pay the premiums for. Go and buy some stuff and enjoy the cruise.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Sorry to hear of your luggage troubles.

As this was an AA flight, I'll move this thread over from BA to the AA forum and leave behind a marker in BA so we can follow the thread from here too.

Oxon Flyer
BA mod team
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The Op should become familiar with AA's bagagge claim procedures and reimbursement of reasonable expenses.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ge/delayed.jsp
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:02 pm

I flew from JFK to SFO, but my bag was sent to LHR. I was without my baggage for the entire trip. It was sent back to NYC instead. I filed a claim for delayed baggage in the amount of $212 and got reimbursed.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:02 pm

Question about missing bags and baggage claims

Hi all,

First few posts here (though frequent lurker) and sadly for a not so happy reason of a lost bag! This is certainly not the first time I've dealt with a missing bag, but I've also never had anything too valuable go missing in the past. Just once with some ski equipment that was delivered next day. This time, it happened with a gate-checked carry-on.

I am not status with AA anymore so woe betide those who are in Group 2. I thought Group 2 would be safe for carry-ons, but not so. I was asked to gate check my carry-on roller once I boarded the plane on a direct flight to DFW. Ok, fine, was already on the plane.. it's direct... things were rushed.. i handed over my roller board without too much thought (i mean, we're already on the plane! who can lose a bag here?!)

LO and behold, once arrived at DFW, it's nowhere to be found.

Now normally I am a good packer and keep valuables in the smaller carry-on that I can always take with me. This time, since I was moving and had just packed 3 large suitcases, my normal packing standards were set aside as I put a lot of personals in my carry-on roller without much thought: expensive jewelry, medication, SLR camera and a point and shoot, passport; etc. It's painful to think about everything that was in that bag, really.

Now it's gone missing and I'm freaking out.

AA online and via phone just gives the same "Not yet located" story.

My question is this... I saw someone else had written about visiting the airport and calling directly with the baggage claim people so I thought I'd do the same and try calling directly to baggage claims at DFW instead of going through AA. Interestingly, the person I spoke with at DFW terminal A baggage claim said my bag was in Houston's Hobby Airport when it was last scanned and would be coming back to DFW shortly--no other info was given. I was glad for the info but now I'm wondering how the heck this system works.

Why does AA offer me no updates while this lady at baggage claim tells me it was scanned at Hobby and is coming back? This is after giving the same file locator code that AA created for me at the desk when I filed my case last night.

Is this info even trustworthy? Was she just telling me it's at Hobby to get me off the phone? Still says "not yet located" online and on the phone with AA.

Anyway, it hasn't been 24hours yet, but I am just super anxious and can't help myself! I've been totally unproductive on this trip as a result. SIGH! Will be heading to airport tmrw if nothing else updates.

ooook end vent.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's incredibly frustrating when companies withhold information they have from you, and legacy airlines are incredible at it (ever looked for the rules for awards?). You'd figure they'd learn from FedEx, UPS, etc.

What does https://www.aa.com/travelInformation/bagFinderAccess.do say?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:52 pm

Advice on compensation for 3 day hassle from an AA EXP

AA EXP flying OMA - ORD - MCO earlier this week.

Mechanical delay on OMA/ORD caused me to miss ORD/MCO. Flight from ORD to MCO was final flight of the day.

Rebooked ORD-DFW-MCO for same day, with ORD-DFW in coach.

Arrived on time into MCO, 1 of 2 checked bags made it to MCO. I was told by MCO baggage agent that my bag should arrive on the first flight the next morning and that they would bring it out to me.

Due to the late arrival at night (midnight), I had to go to the local Walmart for clothes for my meeting the following morning. I ended up getting to my hotel at 4a (Walmart at 2a is not a pretty place), as opposed to 8p had I been able to make the original connection in ORD (which actually left 5 minutes early and I was at the gate 2 minutes prior to scheduled departure after I ran thru ORD to get there).

The following day, no sign of my bag. I call baggage services and they can't find my bag. That evening at MIDNIGHT (while I'm asleep), I get a phone call from the automated system that states that I need to check with a baggage agent at the airport for my bag. Since I couldn't figure out what this meant and since I was so angry to receive a call at midnight, I called baggage services and they could not tell me where my bag was.

The NEXT day (day 3), I call baggage services on my way back to the airport. I am told by the rep that my bag had arrived into MCO the day before on the 11a flight. When I inquired further into why my bag hadn't been delivered to me, she put me on hold for 40 minutes. When she came back, she had no additional info for me....still no bag.

I flew home on day 3 and tried to find out from baggage service if they had an update that night, but they still could not locate my bag. I took the family out to dinner that night and at 9p CT, I received a phone call from a number in MCO. It was a random person calling me, TELLING ME THAT AA HAD DROPPED OFF MY BAG AT THEIR HOUSE. This kind person gave me her address and I told her I would contact AA to come get the bag that night.

I call baggage services, tell them what's going on (at first, they tried to tell me that the bag was on a flight from MCO to DFW, but I quickly cut into that one), and they connect me to MCO baggage services. MCO baggage services tells me that they will have a driver go pick it up the next day (wrong answer) --- I "calmly" inform the gentleman that he would be best served by having a driver go pick it up tonight and get it back in the possession of AA or their agent. He says that he will do so and will call me back once it's set up.

He calls me back 10 minutes later and says that the bag will be picked up that night and brought back to a safe place. However, the person who received the bag told me today that the bag was not picked up last night; it was picked up this morning after it sat outside all night. When AA baggage services called me with an update, the rep told me that my bag and this lady's lost bag looked alike and that it was a simple error on MCO baggage's fault....however, my grey rollaboard doesn't exactly resemble the black duffle bag that she had lost.

I've received two additional calls from AA today (automated calls) that each have said that my bag would be enroute, and then finally an actual human being called to give me an update on what flight my bag would be on, estimated arrival time, etc. It is supposed to arrive tonight.

Assuming all my stuff is still in my bag (which I HIGHLY doubt), what is an appropriate request to make of AA for compensating me for this terrible series of events? They have already allowed me to purchase some clothes and get reimbursed for them (which is really just a clothes rental because I don't wear WalMart's cheap line of crap, so the clothes I bought will be going to GoodWill anyway). What kind of flight credit should I ask for?

If stuff is missing, will they cut me a check for reasonable things or will they ask me to go get new ones and then submit receipts for them? I'm not gonna try the old "I had 4 iPads in there" trick, but I did have very nice toiletry items, top-of-the-line shoes and other nice things that are probably gone.

Thoughts??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.