Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K
So i booked cai to hnl (with stopover in SEA) and back fare using my wells fargo points. Fare code was I.

my original routing was sea-dfw-hnl-dfw-sea. Travel is in October btw. AA canceled by sea-dfw redeye, so they routed me sea-phx-hnl without letting me know. so I went from lie-flat to no lie-flat. Return remains the same.

I called WF so i can get rerouted back through DFW. WF called AA and AA told them that getting back on the DFW-HNL flight is not possible since there's no more I space. what gives? shouldn't AA get in touch of revenue management and open I space for me? I mean, I was involuntarily rerouted.

I'm gonna HUCA until this gets fixed. what do you all think?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
So i booked cai to hnl (with stopover in SEA) and back fare using my wells fargo points. Fare code was I.

my original routing was sea-dfw-hnl-dfw-sea. Travel is in October btw. AA canceled by sea-dfw redeye, so they routed me sea-phx-hnl without letting me know. so I went from lie-flat to no lie-flat. Return remains the same.

I called WF so i can get rerouted back through DFW. WF called AA and AA told them that getting back on the DFW-HNL flight is not possible since there's no more I space. what gives? shouldn't AA get in touch of revenue management and open I space for me? I mean, I was involuntarily rerouted.

I'm gonna HUCA until this gets fixed. what do you all think?
I would be very upset if my DFW-HNL flight was changed to PHX-HNL. The First Class seats on the 757 have minimal legroom and limited recline. I am unsure if they even offer the Samsung Tablets and Bose headsets on this route. When we have to fly the PHX-HI routes, we usually fly coach and get the bulkhead so at least we have legroom.

I would research other options - even the SEA-LAX-HNL flights are better. At least you have newer aircraft with IFE in the seat-backs.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
I would be very upset if my DFW-HNL flight was changed to PHX-HNL. The First Class seats on the 757 have minimal legroom and limited recline. I am unsure if they even offer the Samsung Tablets and Bose headsets on this route. When we have to fly the PHX-HI routes, we usually fly coach and get the bulkhead so at least we have legroom.

I would research other options - even the SEA-LAX-HNL flights are better. At least you have newer aircraft with IFE in the seat-backs.
I've flown in the A321s AA flies between LAX and HNL and they're terrible as well. That's why I routed myself via DFW.

I'm willing to take a redeye to ORD or CLT and then an early flight to DFW just to connect to the DFW-HNL flight. Avgeek here so I dont mind it much
It just annoys me that AA can just say that they can't put me back on the DFW-HNL because there's no I-space. That's their problem, not mine, they should fix it.

I'm just gonna HUCA until it's fixed.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Colin
With agent shopping huca, I've gotten full refunds, full voucher refunds, and waived award redeposits on far less significant schedule changes.

It's not like this "rule" asserted is programmed into the agent's software. It just a matter of a few keystrokes for an agent.
Actually, the schedule change rules (and many others) *are* semi-programmed into the updated QIK User interface now used by all AAgents. In many instances, any attempt to bend a rule now requires an agent to override QIK, which will trigger a QC/management review if done without supervisor approval.

In short, much more active scrutiny on AAgents than in the old days of native SABRE.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:14 am

had a material schedule change on a 25K saver J award

AA happily rerouted me on my preferred new flights including a 3-cabin J segment.
Reissued as an even exchange, new eticket numbers.
Was not charged the 32.5K saver 3-cabin J price.

Was a 15 minute phone call, as agent did have to go to a supervisor.
Not sure if the supervisor was required to just open saver award inventory and/or to waive the 7.5K add/collect.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
I have an award:
AA ATL-ORD
CX ORD-HKG
KA HKG-ORD

The domestic AA flight (AA and 737-800 plane) has been canceled and I have been rebooked on the next flight which leaves an hour later. The new flight is with Envoy Air (American Eagle) on a crappy E175. Does that fall into equipment swap (regardless of cabin?) and would allow me free cancel/refund or change?

Last edited by satz; Aug 9, 2017 at 8:42 pm Reason: Removed AA to avoid confusions
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by satz
I have an AA award:
AA ATL-ORD
CX ORD-HKG
KA HKG-ORD

The domestic AA flight (AA and 737-800 plane) has been canceled and I have been rebooked on the next flight which leaves an hour later. The new flight is with Envoy Air (American Eagle) on a crappy E175. Does that fall into equipment swap (regardless of cabin?) and would allow me free cancel/refund or change?
The change of operating carrier should make you eligible for free cancellation/award redeposit. Day/time/routing changes are always free anyway on AAwards.
That said, there's nothing wrong with the E175s, I'd take it just about any day in either cabin over a 738, certainly for a ~2h flight.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I have an AA award:
AA ATL-ORD
CX ORD-HKG
KA HKG-ORD

ON a short flight like that I'd rather take the e175....in both coach and 1st. Unless the hour less connection time worries you....I'd just stick with it. If it's a connection time thing...I'm sure you can convince AA to move you to an earlier flight since an ORD-HKG misconnect would likely lead to a 12+ hour delay getting to Hong Kong
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The change of operating carrier should make you eligible for free cancellation/award redeposit. Day/time/routing changes are always free anyway on AAwards.
That said, there's nothing wrong with the E175s, I'd take it just about any day in either cabin over a 738, certainly for a ~2h flight.
I am sorry for the confusion when I said AA award. I meant that I have an American Airlines SAAver award (duh, I didn't need to specify this), not an AAnytime award.

Originally Posted by chicago747
ON a short flight like that I'd rather take the e175....in both coach and 1st. Unless the hour less connection time worries you....I'd just stick with it. If it's a connection time thing...I'm sure you can convince AA to move you to an earlier flight since an ORD-HKG misconnect would likely lead to a 12+ hour delay getting to Hong Kong
Thank you both for the response. There is a chance that I might need to cancel the flight and wanted to know whether I could cancel and redeposit without fee.

My understanding is that the E175 is a much smaller plane (which probably requires gate checking bags) and has no wifi. The later flight also risks a misconnect as noted.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sorry for the confusion when I said AA award. I meant that I have an American Airlines SAAver award (duh, I didn't need to specify this), not an AAnytime award.
That doesn't matter in this case.

My understanding is that the E175 is a much smaller plane (which probably requires gate checking bags)
It doesn't.

and has no wifi.
Some, if not all, do have wifi.

The later flight also risks a misconnect as noted.
All AA really cares about is whether it meets the minimum connection time. I'm not sure what interline domestic-to-international is at ORD, but I'd guess 60 minutes.

Thank you both for the response. There is a chance that I might need to cancel the flight and wanted to know whether I could cancel and redeposit without fee.
Well, if you're just looking for an excuse to cancel, then go with the change in operating carrier (from AA to Envoy).
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
I booked an itinerary TXL-LHR-ORD//MSP-MIA-LHR-DUS-LHR-TXL in business (D and I) a long time ago for travel over this coming Christmas period, and I just got an email from Expedia saying that AA has changed its schedule, which would cause me a fair bit of inconvenience.

Instead of the old itinerary being...

MSP-MIA AA4600 1205-1643 in D and MIA-LHR in I on AA38 2100-10:30+1

...the first sector has changed to...

MSP-MIA AA4679 0610-1048

...which would cause me and my wife having to spend 10h in Miami, instead of just over 4h under the original itinerary.

Unfortunately there is no later flight on AA from MSP to MIA that would get us to connect to AA38 on time.

Given that I had specifically booked us to fly via MIA in order to enjoy the nicer seats on AA38 (77W), but I do not want us to get up at 3am in order to catch our first domestic flight, can I ask AA to reroute us in a way so that:

A) We leave MSP at a friendlier time of 10am or later AND
B) Connect to a transatlantic flight that will be operated by a 77W?

What I have in mind is asking to change us to fly MSP-DFW-LHR instead, e.g.:

MSP-DFW AA2722 1820-2050 to connect to
DFW-LHR AA78 2215-1310+1

Unfortunately I had booked the tickets via Expedia, so I doubt I will get to speak to AA directly.

Any advice from the FT community on my chances and approach, or reasonable alternatives?

If it helps, I am a OWS on CX right now and my wife will be 5 months pregnant by the time of our flight.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany

Unfortunately I had booked the tickets via Expedia, so I doubt I will get to speak to AA directly.

Any advice from the FT community on my chances and approach, or reasonable alternatives?
You can suggest a specific route to Expedia.

Remember the pitfall of rebooking for schedule changes the next time you think about booking through an agency.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You can suggest a specific route to Expedia.

Remember the pitfall of rebooking for schedule changes the next time you think about booking through an agency.
I will do that and see whether they might be so kind as to simply accommodate my request - that would of course be the best possible outcome!

And thank you for your advice regarding booking directly with the airline - I do that pretty much all the time, only in this case Expedia offer me this fare much much cheaper than if I had booked directly with AA, so I really could not resist the temptation at that time...
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have little experience working with the consumer OTAs on airline tickets, but more with a corporate TA. In *theory* it shouldn't be that much different. You may basically need to get Expedia to call AA to allow the rebooking if, for some reason, they can't/won't do it themselves. Your proposal is certainly something that would be accommodated by AA directly. Good luck.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I have little experience working with the consumer OTAs on airline tickets, but more with a corporate TA. In *theory* it shouldn't be that much different. You may basically need to get Expedia to call AA to allow the rebooking if, for some reason, they can't/won't do it themselves. Your proposal is certainly something that would be accommodated by AA directly. Good luck.
I had a schedule change on a AAVacations booking and called them to change my flights to a much preferred routing and they did it no problem. I know that it is AAVacations, so they are somewhat integrated with AA the airline, but they are also a TA separate from AA reservations (I think). The woman I spoke with happily moved my flights, so I am willing to bet Expedia can do the same if you call in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.