Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold HH Diamond
Thanks all, very quick responses and very much appreciated. Will do as you suggest.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by CMShaffer07
My wife and I are currently booked on a business/first award flight from CUN-CLT-MCI on May 8. When we initially booked we were scheduled to leave CUN at 2:45 and connect to an outbound flight in CLT at 7:50, arriving home at 9:11. Today we got notification that our CUN departure was moved up to 2:25 (though the arrival time stayed the same at 6:35) and our connecting flight at CLT was bumped back to 8:19.

Now the obvious downside to our current booking is that we're on a pair of LUS 321s for both legs of our 6 hours of flying. Is it worth a phone call to see if I could get AA to route us through ORD or DFW to get off of those 321 planes? There's an itinerary that goes through ORD that doesn't buy us any better times but is on a pair of 738s instead of the 321s. We also would consider going through DFW leaving at 12:55 with a 757/738 combo.
I just wanted to leave a data point with my situation and say that I called AA a couple of weeks ago and got changed to the DFW routing with no questions asked. I just explained that our already late arrival back home at MCI got pushed back almost 45 minutes and was hoping maybe they could get me home a little sooner. Even better as of now the 757 that serves our outbound flight from cancun (1601) is lie-flat in first class. It still might be the angle flat version but it's not a particularly long flight for me to fuss over, I'm just glad to be off of the LUS 321s.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Computerized Re-booking to tight connections

Thanks to the latest round of flight number changes, the AA computer system automatically re-booked us on 2 flights with tight connections. One was a 40 minute connection at DFW (Montrose - CR900 /DFW/ LGA -A321) which has a pretty bad on-time arrival and the other was a 55 minute connection from LGA/DFW/KOA.

The original flights we had booked were still available but did not appreciate that we did not receive any notice of the flight changes or the need to call to get back on our original flights. Same aircraft, just different flight numbers.

I typically like to book additional time to reduce the stress if something should go sideways. Our original bookings provided 1 1/2 hours between flights which we did no purpose. The AA system really does need to handle these changes a bit better.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:30 pm

I enjoy being able to swap flights, I have a flight on may 22nd from MIA-CMH it was a nonstop flight on a 175, but they made an equipment change to a 145, so my first class ticket was bumped down to economy, and i also have 2 other PAX on the reservation, so i was able to get it switched last month when i was notified of the equipment change I was able to get a flight from MIA-CLT-CMH first leg on an A319 and 2nd leg on the 175. Plus I looked at the value of the F ticket, I originally paid 240, but the leg I am flying now is around 380 dollars. not bad
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold HH Diamond
Well, that went ok, an entirely reasonable telephone experience when compared to many. So, so far so good and now in the system for a 'manual review'. Acid test will be when/if the refund hits my cc account. chf1,850 so not an insubstantial amount.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:57 pm

Hi,

I bought a flight with thankyou points via the Citi online travel agent, Connexions. It was originally scheduled for 8:30pm and has now been pushed back to 9pm (JFK - SEA). American airlines have pushed me back to the agent because it's a block booking and they can't modify the details themselves. Connexions claim that because the schedule change is less than 1hr, I'm not eligible to change to an earlier flight without penalty.

Is this their normal policy? If it was 30mins in the afternoon I'd be fine with it, but this delay changes the arrival time from before midnight to around 12:30am, which is much more inconvenient for me. I'm guessing there's nothing I can do, but thought I'd ask here anyway

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by renzomullany
Hi,

I bought a flight with thankyou points via the Citi online travel agent, Connexions. It was originally scheduled for 8:30pm and has now been pushed back to 9pm (JFK - SEA). American airlines have pushed me back to the agent because it's a block booking and they can't modify the details themselves. Connexions claim that because the schedule change is less than 1hr, I'm not eligible to change to an earlier flight without penalty.

Is this their normal policy? If it was 30mins in the afternoon I'd be fine with it, but this delay changes the arrival time from before midnight to around 12:30am, which is much more inconvenient for me. I'm guessing there's nothing I can do, but thought I'd ask here anyway

Thanks
This is a problem when you involve more people with the process. I'd get back to Connexions and ask if their 1 hour rule is their's or what they think AA enforces. If you push back they may check with AA and find out if it's ok. Just like many CSRs, if they can get you to go away without having to do any work, they will, even if that means arguing longer than it would take to do the work.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
This is a problem when you involve more people with the process. I'd get back to Connexions and ask if their 1 hour rule is their's or what they think AA enforces. If you push back they may check with AA and find out if it's ok. Just like many CSRs, if they can get you to go away without having to do any work, they will, even if that means arguing longer than it would take to do the work.
Thanks for the reply. I actually got them to call AA, although they refused to conference me in. They claim that it is AA's policy not to allow a change. I'm pretty sure Connexions don't make any mention of schedule changes being allowed (I'm sure AA do on their site, but that's irrelevant here since I didn't go through them).

I only went through Connexions as I get 1.6cent thank you point redemptions on AA flights through my prestige card. I suppose this is the trade off!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by renzomullany
Thanks for the reply. I actually got them to call AA, although they refused to conference me in. They claim that it is AA's policy not to allow a change. I'm pretty sure Connexions don't make any mention of schedule changes being allowed (I'm sure AA do on their site, but that's irrelevant here since I didn't go through them).

I only went through Connexions as I get 1.6cent thank you point redemptions on AA flights through my prestige card. I suppose this is the trade off!
No reschedule allowed for a 1hr change really is AA policy, although there are other reasons you could force one, like the new itinerary does not meet the Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for the affected connections.

So using TYPs really didn't hurt you here.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:52 pm

With agent shopping huca, I've gotten full refunds, full voucher refunds, and waived award redeposits on far less significant schedule changes.

It's not like this "rule" asserted is programmed into the agent's software. It just a matter of a few keystrokes for an agent.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Colin
With agent shopping huca, I've gotten full refunds, full voucher refunds, and waived award redeposits on far less significant schedule changes.

It's not like this "rule" asserted is programmed into the agent's software. It just a matter of a few keystrokes for an agent.
AA's policy is definitely not to allow full refunds on 30 minute later departure. The travel agent needs to abide by AA's policies
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Colin
From what I've been told there's a non-trivial difference in what AA can do for violations of policy. An AAgent is likely to get at most get a slap on the wrist, while a TA (or their company) can be assessed financial charges (e.g., the change/cancel fees, fare difference, etc. that should have been assessed for the change).
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:16 pm

I realize my post had some ambiguity. The agent I was referencing was the AA reservations telephone agent, not any 3rd-party travel agent.

The poster above me said using Citi Thank You Points didn't matter. I disagree, because many AA reservations telephone agents would pretty easily grant the request to change to a new flight in response to a 30-minute schedule change.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
No reschedule allowed for a 1hr change really is AA policy, although there are other reasons you could force one, like the new itinerary does not meet the Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for the affected connections.

So using TYPs really didn't hurt you here.
Thanks. Can you point me to the relevant part in this link:

https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...e%20Change.pdf

I dont see where it says no changes are allowed for a schedule change of less than 60mins

Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:15 pm

Schedule/Equipment Change on ORD->NRT

How likely is it for my flight from ORD->NRT to have a schedule change in Feb of 2018. I have a JAL ticket operated by AA (AA 153), and I'm hoping that something will go wrong, so I can be rebooked on a JAL 777 that's departing an hour and a half earlier. I know this is an AA forum, but does anyone know how does JAL handle a code share schedule change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.