Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. You’re going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you can’t go from American only to flying partners. You can’t go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

With the devaluation coming in a few months, I'm trying to figure out a way to use my AA miles. I've been wanting to plan a trip in F or J to Asia 2 for a little while, and now there's more urgency to that. However, I won't be able to make that trip until likely mid-late 2017, when the miles rates will be significantly higher. HOwever, TPG wrote that

American has a relatively friendly policy for award ticket changes, as you can alter your travel dates and times with no fee under certain conditions. Ken wants to know if he can take advantage of that policy by booking awards now and then shifting his itinerary as needed later while still paying the lower rate. Fortunately, the answer is yes, though there are some restrictions.

My contacts at American have informed that the current rules will still apply: Passengers can change the date/time and routing without repricing to the new, higher award level. For example, if you booked an award from New York to Dallas on June 17-21, you could shift your departure to June 18 and keep the rest of the itinerary intact. You could change your flight from San Francisco to Madrid to route through Dallas instead of Chicago if that fit your schedule better.

So long as the origin and destination remain the same, you won’t need to pay the extra miles. That means if you’re certain about where you want to go but not sure about when, you could book your awards before the deadline to lock in the better rate, and then adjust them later as needed. However, keep in mind that since those awards won’t be repriced automatically, you’ll need to request the fare change if you rebook an award that’s becoming cheaper.
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/12/chan...r-devaluation/

Any reason to think he's wrong? It almost sounds too good to be true. So if I want to do LAX-HKG-BKK in November 2017, I can just wait to early March 2016 to book February 2017, then when December 2016 comes around, change it to November 2017 for the same number of miles. Does this sound right? If so, what would happen if I keep the same route but change class? For example, if I book US-Asia 2 in J for 55K, then change it next year to a 2017 date when F is available, will AA honor the 67.5K rate from the current chart as well? Or does the class have to be the same?

One more thing-- in the comments, a couple people mention that the awards can be pushed only up to 1 year from original booking, but provides no source for this. Has anybody else heard this?

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 16, 2016 at 10:32 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
With the devaluation coming in a few months, I'm trying to figure out a way to use my AA miles. I've been wanting to plan a trip in F or J to Asia 2 for a little while, and now there's more urgency to that. However, I won't be able to make that trip until likely mid-late 2017, when the miles rates will be significantly higher. HOwever, TPG wrote that

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/12/chan...r-devaluation/

Any reason to think he's wrong? It almost sounds too good to be true. So if I want to do LAX-HKG-BKK in November 2017, I can just wait to early March 2016 to book February 2017, then when December 2016 comes around, change it to November 2017 for the same number of miles. Does this sound right? If so, what would happen if I keep the same route but change class? For example, if I book US-Asia 2 in J for 55K, then change it next year to a 2017 date when F is available, will AA honor the 67.5K rate from the current chart as well? Or does the class have to be the same?

One more thing-- in the comments, a couple people mention that the awards can be pushed only up to 1 year from original booking, but provides no source for this. Has anybody else heard this?
Someone will correct me if Im wrong, but the ticket purchased with miles must be used within 1 year. So you can not just keep "changing the date" out to infinity. So you need to book by March, and you'll be able to book out til ~February 2017. You could in theory change it to March 2017 once they become available, but sure as heck not to November 2017 with the same ticket.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No. You will have 1 year from original date of issue to complete the trip
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:02 pm

With rare exceptions, most mileage programs (especially in US) limits ticket validity to 1 year from ORIGINAL redemption date.

With AA, there is a "trick" in that you can do a fee-free cabin upgrade and essentially extend your 1 year period from the date of change. However, that step, while fee-free, involves redepositing the miles and redeeming a new award, and would be subjected to whatever effective award prices at that time.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Got it, thanks.

But what about if there's a change of class within 1 year? So let's say I make a booking on 3/18/16 for 2/1/17 at current rates in F. On 4/25/16, I change the booking to 3/16/17. If F is available, looks like I'll be able to keep the existing award rate. But what if F isn't available, only J. At that point, will I get those J seats at the current rate, or the rate as of 3/22/16?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:55 pm

Got it, thanks.

But what about if there's a change of class within 1 year? So let's say I make a booking on 3/18/16 for 2/1/17 at current rates in F. On 4/25/16, I change the booking to 3/16/17. If F is available, looks like I'll be able to keep the existing award rate. But what if F isn't available, only J. At that point, will I get those J seats at the current rate, or the rate as of 3/22/16?
You option would be to take a involuntary downgrade to business on a first class award, or pay any redeposit fee and be subjected to the new rate for business award.

It will probably be better for you to take a involuntary downgrade, especially since you can still later on move back up cabin if seats open up.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It would be a voluntary downgrade, not an involuntary downgrade

I am not sure whether AA will permit the use of a 1st class award unless at least 1 sector in the itinerary has 1st class. It may require rebooking as a business award
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckpeter
You option would be to take a involuntary downgrade to business on a first class award, or pay any redeposit fee and be subjected to the new rate for business award.

It will probably be better for you to take a involuntary downgrade, especially since you can still later on move back up cabin if seats open up.
If the route is the same, why would I have to pay the redeposit fee? If I took tat downgrade, would the J seats be at the current or new chart rate? For example, I book Asia 2 F at 67.5k. If I push the date back after the changes to a date when only J is available, will I be charged the 55k on today's chart or the 70k from the devalued chart?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:24 pm

If the route is the same, why would I have to pay the redeposit fee? If I took tat downgrade, would the J seats be at the current or new chart rate? For example, I book Asia 2 F at 67.5k. If I push the date back after the changes to a date when only J is available, will I be charged the 55k on today's chart or the 70k from the devalued chart?
70K.

I actually was discussing this w/ an agent on the phone this morning. Basically, anything that triggers a redeposit (i.e. change of origin/destination, change of award type [upgrades, downgrades, sAAver to AAnytime or vice-versa, etc]) will result in a repricing based on the new rates. Anything that is covered by your current fare (change of dates up to 1 yr from initially being issued, upgrade of a single segment that you took a voluntary downgrade for, change of routing w/ same origin/destination, etc) will continue to price at the level you paid at.

So in other words, you cannot book a trip w/ the intention of moving it to be 1.5 years in the future. However, you could book a trip now and then change the dates/routing as availability potentially opens up.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by aa4ever
70K.

I actually was discussing this w/ an agent on the phone this morning. Basically, anything that triggers a redeposit (i.e. change of origin/destination, change of award type [upgrades, downgrades, sAAver to AAnytime or vice-versa, etc]) will result in a repricing based on the new rates. Anything that is covered by your current fare (change of dates up to 1 yr from initially being issued, upgrade of a single segment that you took a voluntary downgrade for, change of routing w/ same origin/destination, etc) will continue to price at the level you paid at.

So in other words, you cannot book a trip w/ the intention of moving it to be 1.5 years in the future. However, you could book a trip now and then change the dates/routing as availability potentially opens up.
Just to get precise (not arguing--I actually don't know the answer here), does changing the destination/origin (assuming same country / same award otherwise) actually trigger a redeposit or does it only incur the change fee for non-EXP? The reason I thought it didn't in fact trigger a redeposit is that I thought you can change the origin or destination without losing your seats by paying $150/ticket or you could redeposit and reissue and lose your seats (and run the risk that they don't pop back into inventory) for $150 + $25/additional ticket. Maybe I'm just 10 miles off the mark here.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

70K.

Thanks for the clarity.

Looks like I'll have to book in mid-late March for February 2017. Sounds like the best method is to book F if available, with the understanding that I might have to take a voluntary downgrade if F doesn't open up if I postpone to March 2017. I must say I'm a little surprised that a change of class will result in the new rates, considering there's no redeposit fee charged.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Animgif
Just to get precise (not arguing--I actually don't know the answer here), does changing the destination/origin (assuming same country / same award otherwise) actually trigger a redeposit or does it only incur the change fee for non-EXP? The reason I thought it didn't in fact trigger a redeposit is that I thought you can change the origin or destination without losing your seats by paying $150/ticket or you could redeposit and reissue and lose your seats (and run the risk that they don't pop back into inventory) for $150 + $25/additional ticket. Maybe I'm just 10 miles off the mark here.
When I changed my origin on a ticket the other day, the miles were redeposited and then withdrawn. The class of service and airline were the same.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:44 pm

Thanks for the clarity.

Looks like I'll have to book in mid-late March for February 2017. Sounds like the best method is to book F if available, with the understanding that I might have to take a voluntary downgrade if F doesn't open up if I postpone to March 2017. I must say I'm a little surprised that a change of class will result in the new rates, considering there's no redeposit fee charged.
Technically, the redeposit fee is waived, but the miles are redeposited and withdrawn. So there is a new ticket (further, there is a new ticket issue date of whenever the upgrade occurs).
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I must say I'm a little surprised that a change of class will result in the new rates, considering there's no redeposit fee charged.
There is a redeposit of the original award and then the issuance of a new award, at the then-current rates, with 1-year of validity from the point of the new ticket issuance. AA, out of the goodness of their hearts, waives the redeposit fee when the only change is to a higher class of service.

The award charts are changing, deal with it.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Technically, the redeposit fee is waived, but the miles are redeposited and withdrawn. So there is a new ticket (further, there is a new ticket issue date of whenever the upgrade occurs).
OK. But if I change the date of an award, but keep everything else (class, routing) the same, that's not a new ticket? The miles aren't redeposited/re-withdrawn?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.