FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:25 pm
imapilotaz

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
With the devaluation coming in a few months, I'm trying to figure out a way to use my AA miles. I've been wanting to plan a trip in F or J to Asia 2 for a little while, and now there's more urgency to that. However, I won't be able to make that trip until likely mid-late 2017, when the miles rates will be significantly higher. HOwever, TPG wrote that

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/12/chan...r-devaluation/

Any reason to think he's wrong? It almost sounds too good to be true. So if I want to do LAX-HKG-BKK in November 2017, I can just wait to early March 2016 to book February 2017, then when December 2016 comes around, change it to November 2017 for the same number of miles. Does this sound right? If so, what would happen if I keep the same route but change class? For example, if I book US-Asia 2 in J for 55K, then change it next year to a 2017 date when F is available, will AA honor the 67.5K rate from the current chart as well? Or does the class have to be the same?

One more thing-- in the comments, a couple people mention that the awards can be pushed only up to 1 year from original booking, but provides no source for this. Has anybody else heard this?
Someone will correct me if Im wrong, but the ticket purchased with miles must be used within 1 year. So you can not just keep "changing the date" out to infinity. So you need to book by March, and you'll be able to book out til ~February 2017. You could in theory change it to March 2017 once they become available, but sure as heck not to November 2017 with the same ticket.