Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

Soon after migration of US accounts to AA, SWUs will be usable on US by US flights. (JonNYC)

AA Press Release: US Airways to Join oneworld on March 31, 2014

As of Dec 15, signs appeared at some airports inviting elites of either airline to use the First Class ticket counter check in lines. See posts 82 & 83.

Update to aa.com as of January 7th detailing reciprocity of elite status benefits. Answers to many of the FAQs on this forum can be found here.

Elite/Preferred Seating, not Upgrades

For the purpose of seating on US, all AA elites are eligible for US Preferred Seating equally (no difference between the status levels).

US Preferred Seating is typically the front of coach and the exit rows. There is no MCE product so only some exit rows and bulkhead will have more space (depending on the aircraft). There are seats called ChoiceSeats that are not free for any US or AA elites. Pick a Preferred Seat for free.

For the purpose of seating on AA, US Silver will have the same as AA Gold. All other higher US Preferred will have full access to all AA reserved seating. including Main Cabin Extra.
AA Preferred Seating is in two parts, Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats.

Starting 3/18/14, US Silver/AA Gold only have free access within 24 hours of departure (based on availability). Preferred Seating does not have additional leg room as compared to MCE, but might be better than a normal seat depending on the aircraft. The only special seats for sale for any elite will be MCE for US Silver/AA Gold ahead of the 24 hours free access (50% off the normal price).

Upgrades

Please see: AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Starting 6/11/14, AA and US elite customers have the opportunity for reciprocal upgrades.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/US operated flight:

-At 24 hours check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a complementary upgrade would be available for any AA elite. One non-status companion is also included in the benefit. If it is a mixed itinerary, you will likely need to ask a US agent to be considered if an AA flight was first.

For AA elite members on US Airways-marketed (US flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for AA Plat/Gold at $30 per unit. AA EXP will have a complementary option.

For both programs, it is very likely that elites who were eligible for normal upgrades on the flights before the 24-hours new program will have priority. Also, status in program does not indicate priority, it is first-come, first-served.

There are some other exceptions for AA elite members which you can find here.

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/AA operated flight:

-At 24 hour check-in, if a seat is available on a first-come, first-served basis, a sort of like 500 miles unit upgrade option will be available for US Plat/Gold/Silver at $30 per unit. US CP will have a complementary option.

Non-US elite companions are not free nor discounted and may have a different priced option (LFBU).

For US elite members on AA marketed (AA flight number)/US operated flight:

Still no upgrade option.

There are some other exceptions for US elite members which you can find here.

Other features, such as (new AA) SWU use, etc. will come about when both AA and USDM FFPs are fully merged into the new AAdvantage FFP "some time during the second quarter".

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Announcement Today ?

Since tomorrow is the date of the first step in the merger with reciprocal benefits starting, I would hope there is some sort of official announcement today of what to expect.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by marlee1421
Since tomorrow is the date of the first step in the merger with reciprocal benefits starting, I would hope there is some sort of official announcement today of what to expect.
Not seeing anything update on FAQ or anywhere else. Hopefully January 7th date hasn't changed. Been waiting to book about 10,000 miles worth of flights for February.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
That's what I'm hoping as well, but it won't be the end of the world if I have to keep two balances until November or December and then have them combine the EQM/EQS. I don't really need any other perks for this trip as I'm just taking a 1-suiter garment cover and a small duffel, and my longer flights are only half-full. Double RDM would be nice, but I'm not expecting that on US flights until the codesharing kicks in.
I could be wrong, but I am guessing the two balances will not merge in 2014, and they will start that process sometime in 2015. Like CO/US they may allow mileage transfers in 2014 for redemption purposes.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ellinj
I could be wrong, but I am guessing the two balances will not merge in 2014, and they will start that process sometime in 2015. Like CO/US they may allow mileage transfers in 2014 for redemption purposes.
Not so much the RDMs merging, but if you have 39k EQM on AA and 14k EQM on US, I would certainly hope that would count for requalifying for the 50k tier, even if you have to call in and ask for a manual adjustment.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, Club Carlson GLD, IHG Spire, Lifemiles GLD, Hilton Gold
Not so much the RDMs merging, but if you have 39k EQM on AA and 14k EQM on US, I would certainly hope that would count for requalifying for the 50k tier, even if you have to call in and ask for a manual adjustment.
I'm curious about that as well. If that is the case, then it looks like through March 31, you could be flying UA metal and crediting to US, and have those miles flown on UA metal from Jan 1 to March 31 count towards AAdvantage status. Right?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by zgringo14
I'm curious about that as well. If that is the case, then it looks like through March 31, you could be flying UA metal and crediting to US, and have those miles flown on UA metal from Jan 1 to March 31 count towards AAdvantage status. Right?
Theoretically, yes. Any status qualifying miles earned on *A carriers or US partners (if US grants more than RDM) should be combinable with status miles earned on OW carriers and AS through American and hopefully, attain higher status level that way. That's what I'm waiting for as well. I started last year. I expected the merger to close over the summer and that it will be done for last year's balances and flew over 35,000 on US and close to 70,000 points on AA. Now, I have Platinum on AA and will have Silver on US after March 31st. So, it was a real shame. If it all had worked out, I should have had EXP and a matching CP if that's what they decide to do. But we'll see what tomorrow's announcement will bring.

Bottom line, you can still earn status miles on *A carriers and credit to US DM until March 30th. After March 31st, only OW carriers will be able to earn you status miles on both US and AA. AA counts AS miles as well. US has announced that they will retain relationships with many *A carriers but I suspect those would be RDM miles only and won't count towards status. I think a lot of people are wondering, so thus, the anticipation built up for this announcement.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by coswellnc
I'm scratching my head because aa.com let me pick MCE at no charge but does not show a FF number of any kind on my record (at least on the aa.com site) for the AA segment. Hopefully I'll be able to add that after 1/7 to get credit for that segment and miles. I do not have an AA FF account.
The US number will most likely show on the BP - was in the same situation in late December (AA flight in the middle of a US itinerary because of the lack of a late flight on US and because I do not have an AA FF#, the US one was submitted for the whole itinerary) and the site was not showing the US FF# - and was not allowing me to add it. But it showed on the BP when I printed it. No credit of course but it showed (and it had not been there in a similar situation over the summer).
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by zgringo14
Maybe, no one has a time table for this to happen at this point.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by marlee1421
I understood Jan 7 to be a date for announcement of future benefits, not the effective date for benefits. Maybe I haven't followed the timeline properly.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Aren't we supposed to get some reciprocal benefits Jan 7? It's Jan 6...

And I haven't heard an official peep about this from the airline. Delay?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by masonuc
And I haven't heard an official peep about this from the airline. Delay?
There will be an announcement tomorrow but no one appears to be sure what will be included and if it will be in effect from tomorrow. All I can say is be a little bit more patient.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Was told in our briefing today that starting tomorrow we will be able to accept AA freq flyer #s and vice-versa, that the AA elites with be able to board with the US elites (still no comp upgrades for AA elites though), and the other interesting item is family boarding will cease tomorrow - families are to board with their assigned zone. We will have new boarding announcements posted in our systems tomorrow.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Was told in our briefing today that starting tomorrow we will be able to accept AA freq flyer #s and vice-versa, that the AA elites with be able to board with the US elites (still no comp upgrades for AA elites though), and the other interesting item is family boarding will cease tomorrow - families are to board with their assigned zone. We will have new boarding announcements posted in our systems tomorrow.
Thanks, awaflyboy! Is that all? I expected a lot more for Customer Day 1.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Thanks, awaflyboy! Is that all? I expected a lot more for Customer Day 1.
Like what? US and AA are in two completely different systems and the merger closed 2 weeks before the Holidays. You can't expect complete synchronization already.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat
Just went on gogo and it appears that there is now reciprocity on the monthly passes. What used to be labelled "AA Monthly Pass" is now "AA/US Monthly Pass."

I presume this means if you already have a monthly pass with one or the other it will also work, but haven't been able to test it yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.