Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
(Link) to “United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty (APD) Charged UK Departing Passengers”

Link to html full APD tax law

APD rates as of 01 Apr 2020:
Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) £13 Reduced, £26 Standard
Band B (anything over 2,000 miles): Reduced £80, Standard £176

Infants and children
“Children below the age of 2 years who are not allocated a separate seat before boarding the aircraft are not chargeable passengers. If a seat is purchased for the infant then APD is chargeable.

From 1 May 2015, children who are under the age of 12 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 12 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.

From 1 March 2016 children who are under the age of 16 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 16 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.”

General notes:
distances calculated between national capitals - e.g. HNL calculated as WAS.
Link to Source: U.K. Excise Notice 550: Air Passenger Duty

APD is due when passengers pay to upgrade any stage of their journey

N.B. Arriving at a UK airport will not incur APD. Connections with less than 24 hours will generally not require APD*; you may have to have the rate desk intervene if you are not on a through ticket. As noted, "band distance" is calculated Capital to Capital.

APD is not charged on flights originating in the Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands. APD is not payable on direct, Band B, flights departing Northern Ireland.

* Connecting flights exemption (UK APD regulation)
“The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or
b. where they are in separate booklets:
each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether Two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.”

AA (c/o JonNYC, post #219):

septix by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Flights from the UK to the USA are charged at the same rate based on the distance to the capital city so the APD for LHR-JFK is the same as that for LHR-SFO or LHR-HNL
That wasn't clear from the wiki post, so maybe it should be modified. @:-)
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I added that note, although it should probably be modified again soon to include the new changes.

The changes make the APD to Caribbean countries the same as the APD to the USA, which is good because previously London-PUJ is in a higher bracket than London-Hawaii, which is absurd because Hawaii is so much further from London.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: BA, KLM, United, US Airways
However the change does not apply until 1 April 2015, and so far as I can see the duty applies at the date of purchase of the ticket not the date of the flight; so it won't help me with my significant birthday trip to Peru which I will be booking in a few months to fly in April 2015!

This really is quite silly because airline travel is not the same as buying petrol (gas) or paying UK Road Fund Licence (car sticker tax) for immediate or more or less immediate use, where tax changes usually apply from 6.00pm on the date of the Budget announcement by the Chancellor.

This will mean that in the next year those planning discretionary travel to destinations whose capital cities are more than 4,000 miles from LON may well postpone those trips by a year; so initially it will have the opposite effect to that intended.

I urge all those in the UK to write to the Chancellor and/or their MP's asking for the change to be implemented in such a way as the date of the flight becomes the relevant date, not the date of booking.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
OK everyone, APD debates--especially those involving politics and politicians--do not belong in the AA forum. As was noted upthread, the recent change has zero impact on AA flights, so let's keep this thread on topic by avoiding discussion of APD to other destinations or the political motivations behind the change. Posts which can't keep within those bounds will be redacted or removed.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
The beauty of a wiki is that everyone can edit it.@:-) If you see an inaccuracy, please fix it rather than asking a fellow member to fix it for you.

~Moderator
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Connecting within 24 hours without a through ticket / with two separate tickets (as indicated above by teemuflyer ^, and verified by my experience today - and previously, but today I took the time to pay attention to the process, as the EXP agent didn't know what the heck I was talking about):

We are connecting at LHR on a (return legs) KEF-LHR-ORD-SFO FI to AA, separate tickets, but (barely) with 24 hour connection. Contacting AA, we were able to give the FI (Icelander) ticket number - this allowed the Rate Desk to view the FI (1008-) ticket, and delete the APD from our (001) AA ticket, resulting in a cost savings $452.40 for two people.

This took some time - over thirty minutes for the EXP agent to get the Rate Desk to research it, view our FI tickets and make the requisite changes to our tickets. Interestingly, the otherwise capable EXP agent did not know this could be done; he thanked me for the opportunity to learn something new. I smiled all the way to the bank.

Off topic, as one ticket was a paid ticket and the other an award ticket, asking the agent to associate the two PNRs with a "TCP" (To Complete Party) took little time and easily got it done. When I went to get the paid ticket at the local airport ticket counter (I was using a voucher for partial payment) the longtime Ticket Agent (ex-TW, iirc) knew how to accept and document the voucher, but did not know about the "TCP" annotation in the remarks section of the PNR.

Knowing all this stuff from FlyerTalk is, as they say in New Orleans, a nice lagniappe (in southern Cuba it's "la ñapa" - what you possibly didn't know is the term is from the Andean Kechwa / Quechua / Runasimi language). FT ^!
You are always learning something on FT. This will be tried with some tickets on hold in the same situation in the next few days. AA award tickets to lhr from TLV connecting later that day to Ord. Mr world is wide had booked the tickets as he does the flights and I read FT when he told me the price, I went back to search for this post.

BTW Lagniappe was the name of my high school's musical production every year. I don't think any of us knew what it meant and where the word came from. The high school was in the Midwest so who knows where the idea came from but the word stuck.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The wiki has been updated to reflect some changes affecting those departing UK for, say, Africa, Argentina Caribbean, India or Australia (lower rates).

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...e&cid=eltreuro

TravelWeekly has published the United Kingdom will eliminate the uppermost of two distance-based "bands" calculated between the countries' capitals, not the actual airports flown between - e.g. LHR-WAS for, say, LHR-LAX - and reduce the amount charged travellers leaving the UK by air. The onerous Air Passenger Duty, or APD, is by far the highest "departure tax" charged air travellers anywhere in the world.

Unfortunately, the remaining APD is still quite high and onerous "departure tax". (APD is not paid for arrival, nor by passengers connecting within 23:59 hour period.) The full rate is charged for other than Economy passengers, who pay a "discounted" rate.

Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne announced on Wednesday... the two upper bands will be abolished, so that one band will cover all flights of more than 2,000 miles. The change will take place in April 2015, he said.

The policy change reduces the tax on flying to India and the Caribbean to 69 British pounds from 85 pounds in economy class and to 138 pounds from 170 pounds in premium cabins, making it the same as for flying to the United States.

APD on flights to Australia, Singapore and Argentina is effectively reduced from 96 pounds in economy and 192 pounds in premium cabins.
The thread with current APD rates and discussion can be found in the AA Pre-Merger Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2013-a.html

Aloha. The huge advantage of a wiki (Hawaiian Polynesian language for "quick") is nobody has to wait for a moderator or original post author to edit or update with new information. ANY signed in member can "quickly" do that. @:-)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 26, 2014 at 10:20 pm Reason: add main impact of APD (not on UK-US flyers)
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:59 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
OK everyone, APD debates--especially those involving politics and politicians--do not belong in the AA forum. As was noted upthread, the recent change has zero impact on AA flights, so let's keep this thread on topic by avoiding discussion of APD to other destinations or the political motivations behind the change. Posts which can't keep within those bounds will be redacted or removed.

The beauty of a wiki is that everyone can edit it.@:-) If you see an inaccuracy, please fix it rather than asking a fellow member to fix it for you.

~Moderator
If I make an inaccurate correction, when does it get corrected? If no one notices--never(?)
Do the moderators monitor the WIKIS on a regular basis?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nrr
If I make an inaccurate correction, when does it get corrected? If no one notices--never(?)
Do the moderators monitor the WIKIS on a regular basis?
Moderators are not charged with being information nannies or wikipost shepherds and verifying that every bit of information here is fact checked (or in a wikipost nor in the wiki). Members correct other members, even moderators. And members with some time in the forum soon discern who posts accurate information and who doesn't.

If I want 99% reliable information, I guess I'd have to pay for it somewhere - only I'd still possibly receive misinformation. Maybe there is a paid site with salaried experts and moderators out there... it ain't here.

NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE SITE OR THROUGH OR FROM ITS SERVICES SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. (Part of the FT Legal Notices and disclaimer.)
Disclaimer - link to this guideline
NEVER rely on information or opinions posted on FlyerTalk to replace the information that you receive from your frequent traveler programs. While FlyerTalk is full of great information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on the boards.

FlyerTalk is founded on the principles of support, empowerment, information and entertainment. Use good judgment when considering how to use information derived from the forums and consult representatives from the appropriate programs before doing anything that might affect your travel or put your miles and points at risk. Remember that what's right for one person may not be right for you.

FlyerTalk is not liable for any loss or damage caused by information obtained through our forums.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM
Avoiding APD / Air Passenger Duty when transiting LHR / Britain on separate tickets

Hi all,

Any insights appreciated -- I'm flying SFO to BLR on two separate PNRs (currently on hold, not ticketed yet) through LHR (SFO-ORD-LHR on AA RT on a revenue ticket, and LHR-BLR on BA RT on an award mileage ticket), and was wondering if there are any ways to avoid the outrageous UK taxes that crop up, in particular on the BA legs if in business.

Due to availability I had to put two separate reservations on hold via AA.com, and the BA legs have $300+ taxes each way. I believe these taxes only apply for flights ending/originating in LHR, but if you are a transfer passenger the taxes are much lower.

Any way to get the taxes computed on both PNRs as one journey? Since both are on hold I believe I could ask the EXP helpdesk to merge these itineraries before ticketing and perhaps recompute taxes, but the issue is one fare is set to expire shortly and so I need to ticket it soon, while the award itinerary on BA would like more time to finalize plans.

Is it possible to get the taxes recomputed if the two PNRs are ticketed separately?

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
It's a BA fuel surcharge and not a tax.

The way to avoid it is to not fly BA.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Departures only from UK airports have UK Air Passenger Duty This does not apply for transits.

Never confuse carrier imposed surcharges/fees (~profit) with real government taxes. BA has high fuel surcharges
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The taxes are hefty and by splitting your itinerary into two separate bookings, the HM treasury is dinging you twice over, first on the LHR-BLR, and again on the LHR-ORD.

The only way to avoid the UK APD charges is to book this as a single, through ticket.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM
Originally Posted by BigBopper
It's a BA fuel surcharge and not a tax.

The way to avoid it is to not fly BA.
$948 fuel surcharge on RT LHR-BLR? Dont think that's accurate. Also if you price it out directly SFO-BLR taxes are not nearly this high. These are luxury taxes out of the UK for business/first class seats.

Spoke with EXP helpdesk and they said it's not possible to join revenue segments with award segments in the same ticket. If they are ticketed separately then the taxes are computed on origin/destination city pairs, and since you can't join revenue/award segments it wouldn't be possible to price it out as SFO-BLR and thus avoid the LHR origination/destination taxes -- or so they say at least.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raucous
These are luxury taxes out of the UK for business/first class seats..
No they are not. As link above, APD is payable of all air tickets (including economy) from UK, with the rate based on ticket class and distance.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by raucous
$948 fuel surcharge on RT LHR-BLR? Dont think that's accurate. Also if you price it out directly SFO-BLR taxes are not nearly this high. These are luxury taxes out of the UK for business/first class seats.

Spoke with EXP helpdesk and they said it's not possible to join revenue segments with award segments in the same ticket. If they are ticketed separately then the taxes are computed on origin/destination city pairs, and since you can't join revenue/award segments it wouldn't be possible to price it out as SFO-BLR and thus avoid the LHR origination/destination taxes -- or so they say at least.
Only a part of it is the Air Passenger Duty - APD (what you are calling a luxury tax) the rest will be the very hefty fuel surcharge that BA imposes.
You can see how much the APD is here:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/apd.htm

If you are merely transitting the UK then the APD will not be assessed; as others have told you by purchasing separate tickets the APD is assessed both directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.