Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
(Link) to “United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty (APD) Charged UK Departing Passengers”

Link to html full APD tax law

APD rates as of 01 Apr 2020:
Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) Ł13 Reduced, Ł26 Standard
Band B (anything over 2,000 miles): Reduced Ł80, Standard Ł176

Infants and children
“Children below the age of 2 years who are not allocated a separate seat before boarding the aircraft are not chargeable passengers. If a seat is purchased for the infant then APD is chargeable.

From 1 May 2015, children who are under the age of 12 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 12 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.

From 1 March 2016 children who are under the age of 16 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 16 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.”

General notes:
distances calculated between national capitals - e.g. HNL calculated as WAS.
Link to Source: U.K. Excise Notice 550: Air Passenger Duty

APD is due when passengers pay to upgrade any stage of their journey

N.B. Arriving at a UK airport will not incur APD. Connections with less than 24 hours will generally not require APD*; you may have to have the rate desk intervene if you are not on a through ticket. As noted, "band distance" is calculated Capital to Capital.

APD is not charged on flights originating in the Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands. APD is not payable on direct, Band B, flights departing Northern Ireland.

* Connecting flights exemption (UK APD regulation)
“The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or
b. where they are in separate booklets:
each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether Two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.”

AA (c/o JonNYC, post #219):

septix by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
What is LHR charging to use my SWU on my AA flight home [to merge]

I plan to use a SWU next November on my BUD - LHR - MIA AA (metal) flight. I don't see any other way around it. Someone mentioned I won't get hit with their big fee because I'm starting in Budapest, however, I'm on BA from BUD - LHR.

One of their options, has me over nighting in LHR which I am considering unless it makes a difference on the charge or not. Anyone know the cost?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
I think it's like $100-150. Been since last year that I did that.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
As long as your overnight in London is under 24hrs, you should not get hit with the extra APD charge for applying an SWU to your itinerary. The fact that you are on BA for BUD-LHR is not germaine.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by trekker954
I plan to use a SWU next November on my BUD - LHR - MIA AA (metal) flight. I don't see any other way around it. Someone mentioned I won't get hit with their big fee because I'm starting in Budapest, however, I'm on BA from BUD - LHR.

One of their options, has me over nighting in LHR which I am considering unless it makes a difference on the charge or not. Anyone know the cost?
The fee you speak of is undoubtedly the U.K. Air Passenger Duty. The reduced (50% ) is charged for Economy, full rate for Business and First, regardless of paid or award fare, or use of various upgrade instruments use.

But, no APD at all is if you are connecting in under 24 hours.

Read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html, where your query will be merged soon.

Originally Posted by jdanton
I think it's like $100-150. Been since last year that I did that.
Did you originate travel within the U.K. (except Belfast)? Did you connect over 24 hours? If you connected in under 24:00, you should not have been charged. (Even on separate tickets - it may be more difficult to convince the ticket issuer, but I've done so using Icelandair KEF-LHR <overnight> American LHR- USA, for example.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I've cleared a handful of swu's xxx(non UK)-LHR-LAX and never got hit with a fee (under 24 hour connection at LHR)
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Great news, thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by JDiver
Did you originate travel within the U.K. (except Belfast)? Did you connect over 24 hours? If you connected in under 24:00, you should not have been charged. (Even on separate tickets - it may be more difficult to convince the ticket issuer, but I've done so using Icelandair KEF-LHR <overnight> American LHR- USA, for example.
If the tickets are separate, you should be charged APD unless:

there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question
Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether 2 flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.
Section 4.4 of Excise Notice 550: Air Passenger Duty

The airline is actually not following the APD rules if they don't charge APD on two unrelated tickets even if the stay in the UK is less than 24 hours, even if one can persuade them not to charge the APD in a particular case.

Last edited by flatlander; Dec 29, 2015 at 1:49 am
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Absolutely - 2 unrelated tickets should always have APD charged regardless of whether the time in UK is < 24 hours . AA is liable to pay the duty regardless of whether it charges the passenger , since the duty is applicable to the airline
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I recently ticketed ATH-(BA)-LHR-(AA)-CLT-DCA on aa.com. The LHR layover is less than 24 hours but is overnight.

When I called to request SWU for LHR-CLT, the AAgent told me he'd need to charge me the APD. I told him that didn't apply for connections, and he didn't believe me at first, but I insisted, he checked with a supervisor, and came back to apologize.

How many people don't know any better and pay the APD when they don't have to?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
All very helpful information.

One question; did anyone initiate this process after the segments were flown?
It sounds to me as it's quite difficult regardless of the method used to get the taxes refunded.
EDIT: Clarification, I meant regardless of the method of contact via phone / email, etc., getting these refunded after the fact.

My situation: I have booked 2 seats in J / 1 in F on LHR > AUH on Etihad, using AA miles.
We will all be transiting via LHR under 24 hours, but likely won't be able to purchase these tickets until the the week of the flight (long story), and likely won't have time to be on the phone until after the trip has completed.

The return won't be an issue, as we are flying AUH>JFK, so all I need is them to refund the taxes for the 3 of us on the LHR > AUH segments, but this won't be for 10+ months.

I realize I will have to cover the cost of the taxes now, but given my situation, I should be in the same boat as everyone else is, right?

Thanks

Last edited by joeypore; Dec 29, 2015 at 6:52 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:11 pm

That AA is prepared to ignore the rules on APD, does not mean that EY is likely to

You are not transitting in London, you are having 2 unrelated journeys. If you are able to add the extra flights to the existing booking, then the taxes will be recalulated and you will not have to pay the APD

You should expect that you will have to pay the APD - AA is not likely to extract it back from EY
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That AA is prepared to ignore the rules on APD, does not mean that EY is likely to

You are not transitting in London, you are having 2 unrelated journeys. If you are able to add the extra flights to the existing booking, then the taxes will be recalulated and you will not have to pay the APD

You should expect that you will have to pay the APD - AA is not likely to extract it back from EY
According to what everyone else here has said, I do qualify for an APD refund...

What matters it that I'll be in London for less than 24 hours, and that fact alone means I don't technically have to pay the APD. Not that complicated...

I'm merely asking about the process of inquiring after the flights vs before the flights.

Also, AA is still the one collecting the money in the first place. They're the ones ticketing...
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by joeypore
According to what everyone else here has said, I do qualify for an APD refund...

What matters it that I'll be in London for less than 24 hours, and that fact alone means I don't technically have to pay the APD. Not that complicated...

I'm merely asking about the process of inquiring after the flights vs before the flights.

Also, AA is still the one collecting the money in the first place. They're the ones ticketing...
Not according to HMRC's rules governing APD exemption however - and where FT and the HMRC guides differ, I'll take the HMRC

The exemption ONLY applies on through journeys or where there are conjoined itineraries

Just being in UK for < 24 hours does not create an exemption entitlement

That AA may refund passengers , does not mean that other carriers are likely to and I doubt that EY will
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not according to HMRC's rules governing APD exemption however - and where FT and the HMRC guides differ, I'll take the HMRC

The exemption ONLY applies on through journeys or where there are conjoined itineraries

Just being in UK for < 24 hours does not create an exemption entitlement

That AA may refund passengers , does not mean that other carriers are likely to and I doubt that EY will
According to the HMRC's rules:

"The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

‘Scheduled time and day’ also applies when a ticket was last amended or revalidated, for example, where a passenger presents themselves at an airline desk and changes the particulars of their journey.

--

I have done this before, where I connect in LHR to an AA flight, say LHR > DFW in J. I present them my boarding pass from my inbound flight, and the fee is refunded.

Again, it is clearly allowed by the HMRC's rules. I'm quite familiar with the OFFICIAL POLICY, as I have used it many times when transiting in LHR for under 24 hours, and successfully avoided the APD on tickets that were never linked (including Lufthansa > AA, etc, some overnight as well). I wasn't asking for clarification of the rules, thanks.

The AA agents in LHR (specifically at the connection desk) are quite familiar with this practice. I was merely asking for experience on bringing this up AFTER the flight has been flown.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:11 pm

You are nicely only highlighting bits that you wish to

Requirement 1

Must be either
(a) On same ticket
or
(b) be conjunction tickets

2 separate bookings do not meet either criteria

The section that then goes on to further specifiy restrictions with conjunction tickets is only relevent where they are conjunction tickets

That AA agents are ignoring the regulation does not mean that any other airline will

From Article 1 of the IATA General Conditions of Carriage

Conjunction ticket means a ticket issued to a passenger in conjunction with another ticket which together constitute a singe contract of carriage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.