Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:11 am

Well, if you qualify sooner via a challenge in August, your last three flights will give you 100% bonus miles instead of the 25% of GLD. So is $240 worth 24,036 miles (10,683 x 3 x 0.75 -- difference between PLT and GLD bonus RDM) ? and you get to get into the lounges for those last three trips since they'll be international, I assume.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Well, if you qualify sooner via a challenge in August, your last three flights will give you 100% bonus miles instead of the 25% of GLD. So is $240 worth 24,036 miles (10,683 x 3 x 0.75 -- difference between PLT and GLD bonus RDM) ? and you get to get into the lounges for those last three trips since they'll be international, I assume.
Thanks! That's what I'm thinking too... But will qualifying in August versus December - or via challenge versus regular - affect the duration of my PLT status? Everything points to doing the challenge, but I'm wondering if I'm missing a downside...
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatPumpkin
I'm currently a GLD member. With the travel I have coming up between now and the end of the year, I'm set to hit PLT in December. Or, I can start a challenge and hit PLT in August...

I currently have 10,699 YTD qualifying miles. Here are my upcoming miles:

June - 3,652
July - 5,622
August - 5,275 (one trans-Atlantic trip)

If I do the challenge, I'll hit PLT on the August flight. But if I don't do the challenge, I'll qualify anyway with the following flights:

Sept. - 10,683
Nov. - 10,683
Dec. - 10,683

TOTAL 2010 miles = 57,297 (This is the minimum expected - I'm sure other trips will pop up...)

So, should I do the PLT challenge and qualify in August, or should I wait and qualify in December? Will the $240 fee be worth it? Are there any downsides to qualifying via challenge that I may be overlooking?

Thanks a bunch for your expertise
Have you taken into account that Challenges are based on points, not miles?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
Have you taken into account that Challenges are based on points, not miles?
Shoot! I've just checked and the tickets I have reserved are booking code N. It looks like I may have to qualify the regular way in December...

Or is there a way to choose a higher booking code when I make a reservation? Without paying for business or first?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Thanks! That's what I'm thinking too... But will qualifying in August versus December - or via challenge versus regular - affect the duration of my PLT status? Everything points to doing the challenge, but I'm wondering if I'm missing a downside...
If you start a challenge by June 15, then status is good until the end of the next February. If you it June 16 or later, then it is good until a year after the next February.

So, if you were currently on a challenge (before June 16), you would have status through Feb 2011. If later in 2010 you reached 50K EQM/EQP or 60 EQS, you would have status through Feb 2012. So, you wouldn't lose any membership time by qualifying on a challenge, and later qualifying the normal way.

Of course, as cautioned in another post, you need 10K EQP, not EQM for the challenge.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:51 am

Shoot! I've just checked and the tickets I have reserved are booking code N. It looks like I may have to qualify the regular way in December...

Or is there a way to choose a higher booking code when I make a reservation? Without paying for business or first?
Yes. When you make a reservation, ask the agent to upfare it to whatever the cheapest fare class that will give you 1 EQP per mile.

If you do it on aa.com, you can hold it and call to up fare it. Just be very careful that when you ticket it, the same fare code is still there. The web site, or some agents, occasionally try to save you some money by down faring you when you pay.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:16 pm

Thanks, everyone! Going over the miles/points again, I realize that I only need to pay to have one reservation bumped up to a higher fare code... I'm on hold as I type with AA - 20 minutes so far! - to see which reservation will be the cheapest to bump up
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:50 pm

Question

***NEW QUESTION ABOUT THE CHALLENGE***

Just got off the phone with AA and they told me I can't even participate in the PLT challenge because I did one in 2007.

It was always my understanding that you could participate every two years. My "soft landing" to GLD was in 2008 and I requalified in 2009, so now I'm GLD due to actual mile accrual.

The agent had no idea when I would be eligible, just that I'm not now. I asked for eligiblity criteria but she didn't know.

So does anyone know what the rules actually are?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
So does anyone know what the rules actually are?
There are several recent posts upthread with similar reports of "serial challenges" being denied. At this point, I'm not sure anyone has a definite answer on when repeat challenges are allowed.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
***NEW QUESTION ABOUT THE CHALLENGE***Just got off the phone with AA and they told me I can't even participate in the PLT challenge because I did one in 2007...So does anyone know what the rules actually are?
Nope. There also appears to be some room for the mood/discretion of the agent you are speaking with. The golden rule around here is not to get involved in such discussions with any one agent. Just thank them and call again later.

Last edited by dstan; Jun 13, 2010 at 6:22 pm Reason: incorrect info redacted per help desk rules
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:21 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Yes, see the thread on "upfaring" in the OP of this thread.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by aktchi
Nope. There also appears to be some room for the mood/discretion of the agent you are speaking with. The golden rule around here is not to get involved in such discussions with any one agent. Just thank them and call again later.
I agree.
I didn't have any problem. Though,i've never applied for a Platinum challenge before. Gold yes, but Platinum not. Try calling again. This time when i called, agent seemed more experienced and more detailed oriented. While she was not as sympathetic as the previous some years ago, she eventually gave me a profuse and enthusiastic thank you. Again, i'm female and my voice is really sweet.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'll ask to make sure.

I signed up for the plat challenge.

This week I fly on a B (full fare coach) ticket for about 6000 miles. I then fly return for 6000 more miles which should give me platinum status. 2 days later, I fly deep discount coach about 2500 miles.

1. In the PLT challenge, I'm assuming they won't award GLD status after the first flight exceeding 5000 points. Would be nice to know as I want to upgrade the return segment and the status would help my place in the queue.

2. How long does it take for AA to recognize that you met the challenge and give you the status? I ask because I need the status in order to use my stickers for the 2500 mile flight two days later.

3. It's unclear, but I understand that I will receive 4 more upgrade stickers upon achieving PLT status. I also understand that I will receive the 100% mileage bonus for the return 6000 mile flight?

TIA.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by azmojo
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'll ask to make sure.

This week I fly on a B (full fare coach) ticket for about 6000 miles. I then fly return for 6000 more miles which should give me platinum status. 2 days later, I fly deep discount coach about 2500 miles.

1. In the PLT challenge, I'm assuming they won't award GLD status after the first flight exceeding 5000 points. Would be nice to know as I want to upgrade the return segment and the status would help my place in the queue.

You are correct- you will not be awarded GLD at the 5000 point mark.

2. How long does it take for AA to recognize that you met the challenge and give you the status? I ask because I need the status in order to use my stickers for the 2500 mile flight two days later.

I don't recall the exact timeframe, but it's unlikely to happen that fast. It may be worth calling after you complete the qualifying flight to see if they can do anything to help. The faster posting of flights may facilitate things.

3. It's unclear, but I understand that I will receive 4 more upgrade stickers upon achieving PLT status. I also understand that I will receive the 100% mileage bonus for the return 6000 mile flight?

The first part is not correct. You will not receive stickers for achieving PLT. That starts the "10,000 mile counter" that will award stickers in the future. The second part is correct.

TIA.
Cheers.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: AA plat, Hilton diamond, Marriott plat for life , BA silver, Hertz prez circle, Etihad Gold
so is that enough for a platinum challenge.
and do i have to signup for a challenge or would i get my new status based on the miles earned from this trip on its own...
thanks

Originally Posted by dstan
Only the EQP you accrue for the JFK-LHR AA flights will count toward your Challenge. As I don't think there's an AA codeshare for LHR-BOM, you are presumably booked under a BA flight number. In that case, those EQP will only count toward regular status qualification, not your Challenge.

JFK-LHR = 3452 mi x 1.5 EQP/mi = 5178 EQP (each way)

LHR-BOM ≈ 4487 mi x 1.5 EQP/mi = 6731 EQP (each way)

At the end of the trip, you'll have 10,356 EQP toward your Challenge and 23,818 EQP toward regular status qualification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.