Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by goldengate
I'd bet this card will eventually have some pretty hefty signup bonuses
I'll take that bet.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
I just called. The agent had a list of cards which are eligible for fee waivers, and it's not on there.
that would have been AMAZING if yes... =(
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by dayone
I'll take that bet.
+1

100k before Christmas anyone?

Originally Posted by JumboD
Now, if it were like DL, where you had multiple opportunities to get bonus EQM and could get 10k immediately and another 30k by spending 60k (would have to combine work and personal purchases on one card), then it's a better looking deal.
If it was on par with the Amex Delta cards I'd already have 2 of them (one for me, one for wife), 100k bonus be damned.

Surprised they didn't go for Delta when they targeted the card EQMs - it seems pretty clear they targeted UA and their sorry little 10k for $40k max / year promo. The CO card earn rate sucks even more but at least it's not capped at 10k...

They set the bar as low as possible right out of the gate. /cheer
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by living near shamu
I don't know of anyone who is a PLT that only flies 15K/yr. Maybe you are referring to GLDs?
There are definitely some lifetime Plats out there who don't actually fly much. However he was referring to a hypothetical alternate benefit which would allow someone to reach 50k EQMs/yr with very few BIS miles.

I think the market for this card is too small. Its cost is too high for a card that gives EQMs rather than EQPs. The extra RDM per $ should appeal to certain high revenue passengers, but most of these passengers need EQPs not EQMs.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I don't know of anyone who is a PLT that only flies 15K/yr. Maybe you are referring to GLDs?
I was saying that if they had the same offer as DL you could see that (15k BIS + 10k EQM signing bonus + 30k EQM for $60k in spend = 55k EQM).
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JumboD
I was saying that if they had the same offer as DL you could see that (15k BIS + 10k EQM signing bonus + 30k EQM for $60k in spend = 55k EQM).
Ah gotcha. Now it makes sense to me!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goldengate
I'd bet this card will eventually have some pretty hefty signup bonuses (ala Chase's 100K limited time offer [now expired] for the BA card) down the road given the high annual charge and the low signup bonus now re: past Citi offers.

Also AC "access" is very different from AC membership and believe me, the AAngels I've spoken with know the difference...they value the AC members much more than the Amex Platinums...at least the AAngels I've asked about this. I doubt they are going to do proactive rebooking / trip disruption IRROPS work for someone using this card vs full-fledged members.
Why should the AAngels treat Amex Platinum Cardmembers differently than purchasing an Admirals Club membership? Once I enter an AC club, I would expect to get the same level of service as everyone else. If I was discriminated against in service levels as you suggest, out of frustration, I would drop both American Express as a credit card and American Airlines as an airline.

If your information is correct, I will need to rethink giving American Airlines or Amex my future business. Does anyone know if there is a published difference in the service levels at the AA Admirals Club?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by ceieoc
Why should the AAngels treat Amex Platinum Cardmembers differently than purchasing an Admirals Club membership? Once I enter an AC club, I would expect to get the same level of service as everyone else. If I was discriminated against in service levels as you suggest, out of frustration, I would drop both American Express as a credit card and American Airlines as an airline.
It actually makes a lot of sense (and this is as an Amex holder). They have to keep membership attractive in some way, and if Amex Plat had all the benefits of full membership, who'd ever purchase the latter?

Now, if you are talking about the attitudes of the staff (vs. the granting of benefits such as free wifi, entry even w/o same-day AA ticket, etc), that's a different story. I've never felt that I was treated poorly as an Amex Plat, though I've seen some "unwritten" benefits bestowed upon members.

For example, I once overheard a passenger ask an AAngel for row 17 on a 763 (LAX-ORD), and the AAngel asked if she was an AC member, to which the pax replied she was. The AAngel said something to the effect of "we only do this for members" and gave her 17. My guess is that the GAs don't like it and the AC has to draw a line somewhere so that they aren't doing it all the time.

All that being said, I've had a number of AAngels work very hard to help me out in situations with IRR-OPS, even if not proactively. I remember once being scheduled on a delayed MIA-LAX and not knowing how long the delay would end up being. All of a sudden an A seat (mileage upgrade, not paid F) opened on the next flight and I asked to be protected on it. They did so w/o discussion. And that's to say nothing of the MIA AC rep who really bent over backwards to help me find a hotel with laundry after a cancelled flight and brought my laptop down to security after I forgot it in the club (and had left for the hotel already).
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Ross0,

Here are some answers for you!
  1. The fee will not be waived.
  2. This card does provide the primary cardholder full Admirals Club benefits, including access to the T-Mobile HotSpot Internet. You will need your AAdvantage number and password to access.
T-Mobile HotSpot? I thought T-mobile was being replaced by AT&T Wi-Fi?!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by edbyu
T-Mobile HotSpot? I thought T-mobile was being replaced by AT&T Wi-Fi?!
IMO, paid WiFi is kinda moot when there's free ones flying about almost anywhere and everyone has 3G/4G phones that can be tethered these days.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:53 pm

I would really consider this card if I didn't already had the Platinum Select from Citi. Ugh!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The card seems pretty weak to me. If was going to drop $450, I'll get the AMEX Plat which also includes AC access as well as access on other airlines along with various fee rebates ($200 airline and global traveller). Baggage waivers is somethhing elites already have
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I would really consider this card if I didn't already had the Platinum Select from Citi. Ugh!
Same here; However I'd consider upgrading my current CitiAAdvantage World Elite MC card if they allow it.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
The card seems pretty weak to me. If was going to drop $450, I'll get the AMEX Plat which also includes AC access as well as access on other airlines along with various fee rebates ($200 airline and global traveller). Baggage waivers is somethhing elites already have
What works for the goose sometimes doesn't work for the gander :-)

For me personally it would work for me. The Amex wouldn't because I only really travel on AA.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Ross0
I agree. I'm still debating where I come down on this card given the relatively few perks for EXPs vs. the high-fee.

For an EXP AC member who currently pays $300 a year, the card is basically $150.

Forget all of the priority and free checked bags perks as those are not perks to EXPs. This is really a question of whether no foreign finance fee + 10k EQMs (at a really high $40k per year threshold) per year + 2x AA miles on AA spend (though most of us are spending all of our "AA dollars" at Costco these days) is worth $150.
I'm with you on all this. One other loss for me is with $40k spend, I lose out on the extra .25 miles/$ or 10,000 miles earned with the SPG Amex.

I think I'll hold out for much sweeter signup bonus....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.