Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:46 am

Is there any sort of MPM restriction on award tickets? I was wondering if I can book an award LHR-MIA-SFO (not b/c I want to stopover there but because there's a lot more availability on LHR-MIA than other t/a's) - aa.com isn't bringing it up, but if there were availability would this be a legal routing?

Yonatan
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by yonatan
Is there any sort of MPM restriction on award tickets? I was wondering if I can book an award LHR-MIA-SFO (not b/c I want to stopover there but because there's a lot more availability on LHR-MIA than other t/a's) - aa.com isn't bringing it up, but if there were availability would this be a legal routing?

Yonatan
That would be fine. There is no MPM on the AA all-partner awards.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnep1
There is no MPM on the AA all-partner awards.
True. However, there is a "passenger must use the most direct routing" rule.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
True. However, there is a "passenger must use the most direct routing" rule.
I don't think that rule has much affect on anything. If it did, there would always be just one possible routing for an award ticket because only one routing would be the most direct.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1
Is Bermuda an allowed North American stopover if flying BA on a U.S. to Europe partner award? All I see is a limitation that says no stopovers are allowed in Mexico or the Caribbean on this route.
Bump. Folks have posted in some threads that Bermuda is a valid NA stopover between Europe and the US on an all-partner award. However, folks in some other threads have said that a stopover there is not allowed.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:45 pm

Are you allowed to have an open-jaw that begins in the US, goes to Europe, and then returns to the Caribbean?

For example, would DCA-LHR-STT be allowed using an all-partner award?

If the answer to the above is yes, then would one still be allowed to end the ticket in the Caribbean if they had already reentered the US?

For example, would DCA-LHR-ORD(stopover)-STT be allowed using an all-partner award?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
stopover on TAM award?

i think I know the answer-from GRU- iguassu falls brazil- eze- would a stopover be allowed in Iguassu then on to EZE- with a fast connection at GRU? would this require two awards? or are stopvers only in North america not allowed. Since obviously i'm not stopping over in north america.---- i could not get into EZE on my award ticket anyway so might as well see the falls on the way down there.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 1:23 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I was able to use BDA as a transit point in a oneworld award; 23 hrs in BDA didn't count as a stopover.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 3:08 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Inter-region open jaw?

Hmm.. didn't see this covered.
Can you do an open-jaw between regions. Eg. USA-Asia 1/Europe-USA

AUS-PEK/TBS-BRU (stop) - AUS

Would this be 90k for Biz? I know it's possible to do as a oneworld award.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990 (lifetime PLT/OWS)
[QUOTE=johnep1]Are you allowed to have an open-jaw that begins in the US, goes to Europe, and then returns to the Caribbean?[QUOTE]

Yes. I did US-Europe-Caribbean as described here.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:11 am

This may be its own thread, but since this thread is about stopovers I'll ask here. I want to book intl award travel with one stopover. AA.com doesn't seem to allow me to do this online, but the Advantage rep said I still would have to pay the $15 fee for her to do it.

Has anyone else been told this, or will Advantage waive the $15 fee for phone reservations if the reservation can NOT be made online? Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jenae
This may be its own thread, but since this thread is about stopovers I'll ask here. I want to book intl award travel with one stopover. AA.com doesn't seem to allow me to do this online, but the Advantage rep said I still would have to pay the $15 fee for her to do it.

Has anyone else been told this, or will Advantage waive the $15 fee for phone reservations if the reservation can NOT be made online? Thanks.
The only way around this is to ticket the award online and then pay the $100 change fee to add the stopover. While this sounds like a bad trade (paying $100 to avoid paying $15), it's not that crazy if your travel dates are along ways off and there's a good chance that you'll need to change the ticket anyway.

Other than that, I don't think there are any ways around the booking fee. You have to pay that even if you can't book the ticket online (such as wanting a stopover or flying on a partner airline).
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM
Originally Posted by jenae
AA.com doesn't seem to allow me to do this online, but the Advantage rep said I still would have to pay the $15 fee for her to do it.

There are all sorts of things that AA.com will not let you do. (Book a ticket in B, use a voucher, etc) However when you call an agent to do them for you, you'll always pay the fee. There's no way around this.

AA.com is set up for the great masses (who AA thinks only care about finding the cheapest flight). If this isn't you, you'll pay for the privilege of making your special request.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:10 am

I skimmed over the whole thread looking for a particular OW award rule, but I couldn't find it, so let me ask here: I believe that with OW awards it's possible to transit through the same airport twice and stopover once max, as long as this isn't the departure or destination airport. Correct? The airport in question would be HGK in my case. On my way between N.A. and Australia, I'm almost always forced to booked CX (if I don't want to travel in Y), and for this particular trip I'd be transiting CX twice, and stopping over once. Thoughts?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by honu
I skimmed over the whole thread looking for a particular OW award rule, but I couldn't find it, so let me ask here: I believe that with OW awards it's possible to transit through the same airport twice and stopover once max, as long as this isn't the departure or destination airport. Correct? The airport in question would be HGK in my case. On my way between N.A. and Australia, I'm almost always forced to booked CX (if I don't want to travel in Y), and for this particular trip I'd be transiting CX twice, and stopping over once. Thoughts?
Yes, you can transit HKG twice and stop there once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.