Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check-in procedure for UA-ticketed codeshare?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Check-in procedure for UA-ticketed codeshare?

Apologies, I can't seem to find an answer for this in search.

I've got an award flight on NH coming up, ticketed by UA. I'm guessing I use the onlone check-in on the NH site, correct?

Also, I had a problem the last time I flew on a CO-ticketed NH award. I walked up to the NH check-in desk at PVG only to be told I wasn't on the passenger list. It wasn't until a couple minutes before check-I'm closed before they suddenly waved me over and told me my info suddenly showed up. Is there a way to make sure such an unappealing close call won't happen this time?
(I'm assuming that success at OLCI would mean this wouldn't be a problem, but if it doesn't succeed I'd probably take it as a first warning sign of this happening again)

Last edited by jamar; Sep 30, 2011 at 7:54 am
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:47 pm

The last time I flew ANA was on a United code share (it was cheaper) and the check-in process was kind of a nightmare. First, from what I recall ANA does not allow you to use their online check-in if you're a code share. You can try it, maybe they've fixed this (though it was only about 2 months ago that I last flew them), but the main issue seemed to be that they do not want to allow you to select seats. They want their own customers to select seats first. This means there's no way for them to issue you a boarding pass.

This was actually on a paid ticket that I had this problem. I guess it could be better or worse using an award ticket.

Also, when I checked in at the ANA counter, their automated system couldn't find me either, even by scanning my passport. They did finally find me manually somehow, but it took a while.

ANA seems to have issues with code shares, in my experience.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
You can obtain the file locator/reservation number directly from NH (by phone), and verify online that your reservation is in their system.

I always do that for all the flights not operated by the ticketing carrier.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
You can obtain the file locator/reservation number directly from NH (by phone), and verify online that your reservation is in their system.

I always do that for all the flights not operated by the ticketing carrier.
I was in their online system. The system had my itinerary, there was just no check-in option, nor could I select seats. My wife was on the same flight but I had booked her on ANA; she could check in and select seats. When I called, they told me I would need to check in at the airport.

When I went to the airport, their system there couldn't find me by my passport, which was the only way the automated system they had could look it up (this was at Narita). So I had to find an agent (who seem to randomly help people there; some people get an agent, some just get shuttled to the automated kiosks). Most likely the agent was able to find me by my reservation number, which I had with me.

Their process for code shares just doesn't seem very good.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Update- OLCI worked for the outbound once I got the NH reservation code. Piece of cake. now I'll see if it works on the inbound in a couple of days.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:48 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I was able to OLCI for both ANA flights I bought as CO codeshares this past Saturday, but I needed the ANA reservation code, and had to enter my name EXACTLY as it was in the system in order to do it.

Getting boarding passes via internet email was possible, but I also got paper passes at the ANA counter and club in LAX and NRT.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:20 am
Original Poster

BTW- OLCI worked for me on the inbound too. I was lucky in that the UA website showed the NH reservation code so I could look it up. Though as a note- when I tried to get a seat request offline, the NH ticket office told me "UA ticketed it, we can't touch it".
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:03 pm

Just got back from China / Thailand using award miles on NH ticketed by UA. Y I had the NH reservation number and didn't have one single problem doing the OLCI on the ANA website.

Being subject to domestic airlines (UA) the past few flights, it was a delight to fly ANA.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
I'm traveling on a NH codeshare ticket in a few weeks that I purchased via UA. I was actually able to select seats on UA's site during the purchase process, despite the fact that the flight is on NH metal.

However, I was not able to purchase an upgrade to Premium Economy, and when I checked the seating chart on ANA's site yesterday, it showed Premium Economy as completely full. My suspicion is that they simply do not make those seats available until they know how many status upgrades they'll have.

One question: is there any chance I'll have the opportunity to purchase an upgrade to Premium Economy at the check-in desk the day of my flight? If so, any idea as to cost (it's an ORD-NRT segment)?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by zcat18

However, I was not able to purchase an upgrade to Premium Economy, and when I checked the seating chart on ANA's site yesterday, it showed Premium Economy as completely full. My suspicion is that they simply do not make those seats available until they know how many status upgrades they'll have.
Because you are not suppose to, and they are not available for upgrade from economy to premium economy for cash.

Originally Posted by zcat18
One question: is there any chance I'll have the opportunity to purchase an upgrade to Premium Economy at the check-in desk the day of my flight? If so, any idea as to cost (it's an ORD-NRT segment)?
Absolutely not. NH don't and never sell upgrade to premium economy. If you buy full fare Y class, then you get it automatically. Otherwise, if they want your seat in Y, they will put you there, but not til they put all their own NH elites before anyone else, and you have to be *G, not if don't even have some status.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Because you are not suppose to, and they are not available for upgrade from economy to premium economy for cash.

Absolutely not. NH don't and never sell upgrade to premium economy. If you buy full fare Y class, then you get it automatically. Otherwise, if they want your seat in Y, they will put you there, but not til they put all their own NH elites before anyone else, and you have to be *G, not if don't even have some status.
O.k., thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
CO-UA is saying you have to go to the ticket counter at NRT to check-in for the ANA flight after you arrive there even though it is a CO-UA codeshare flight.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
But I called ANA and they said we're already check-in thru UACO, just need to pick up the boarding pass in NRT.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by GrizShel
CO-UA is saying you have to go to the ticket counter at NRT to check-in for the ANA flight after you arrive there even though it is a CO-UA codeshare flight.
Originally Posted by GrizShel
But I called ANA and they said we're already check-in thru UACO, just need to pick up the boarding pass in NRT.

No matter you are checkin or not for the NH flight, once you landed from whatever CO-UA flight, just go to the NH transfer counter to obtain NH boarding pass, you don't need to go out immigration to the NH ticket counter at NRT.

Also, if you have a checked luggage UA-CO>NH, the bag will check all the way thru to the final destination.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Does ANA has transfer counter at SGN? I will be flying Air Asia from BKK to NRT transit at SGN on Dec 30, 2014 (UA9716 operate by ANA NH932). Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.