Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by amunter
In SEA, and AS4 to DCA keeps getting delayed and delayed while the gate agent says DC weather is the cause. But FlightStats and the FAA site both say no weather issues. Plus, the weather both now and forecast in DC look pretty reasonable.

Anybody else having DC issues today? AS6 or the PDX flight (is that AS764?)?
I'm on LAX-JFK right now and the weather map shows some activity over the east coast right now, and I got an AccuWeather app push alert for my hometown (about 1.5h due north of DC) that says "winter weather warning until 7am Sunday," so I don't doubt there's something happening.

That said, our flight took off on-time and is estimated to arrive 5 minutes early, and that's with our flight plan having us make a giant S-turn over OH/PA to apparently avoid the worst of it.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Anyone catch the AN - 124 at SEA yesterday and have any idea what it's in town for? Quite the surprise when I saw it landing from ALW yesterday!

My only guess is that it's in town for a delivery of some heavy equip or a GE90?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I saw it there last Saturday night too when I returned from TPA - thought to myself - Hmmm I don't think Antonovs are too common at SEA.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Junkie
I saw it there last Saturday night too when I returned from TPA - thought to myself - Hmmm I don't think Antonovs are too common at SEA.
Has it been on the ground a whole week?

I flew out last Sunday (departure to the south) but was on the left side of the plan -- so no chance to see it.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
Originally Posted by jackal
I'm on LAX-JFK right now and the weather map shows some activity over the east coast right now, and I got an AccuWeather app push alert for my hometown (about 1.5h due north of DC) that says "winter weather warning until 7am Sunday," so I don't doubt there's something happening.

That said, our flight took off on-time and is estimated to arrive 5 minutes early, and that's with our flight plan having us make a giant S-turn over OH/PA to apparently avoid the worst of it.
Yes, indeed. On the DCA-PDX return now, and it was an interesting series of developments. Ended up leaving a few hours late on the SEA-DCA flight due to weather, although on-the-ground reports in DC indicated weather was fine. By the time we arrived at DCA, it was big wind and blowing snow...but had we taken off on time, we would have missed the weather!

As it was, with the storm, the DCA-PDX turn was further delayed another hour-plus, and we'll get into PDX just before midnight. Flight crew of the PDX flight has been great, though, fully communicating throughout the delay. That level of communication makes all the difference in the world (at least to me).

Still, can't help but wonder what might have been had we just stuck to on-time for the entire outbound and return...
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, indeed. On the DCA-PDX return now, and it was an interesting series of developments. Ended up leaving a few hours late on the SEA-DCA flight due to weather, although on-the-ground reports in DC indicated weather was fine. By the time we arrived at DCA, it was big wind and blowing snow...but had we taken off on time, we would have missed the weather!

As it was, with the storm, the DCA-PDX turn was further delayed another hour-plus, and we'll get into PDX just before midnight. Flight crew of the PDX flight has been great, though, fully communicating throughout the delay. That level of communication makes all the difference in the world (at least to me).

Still, can't help but wonder what might have been had we just stuck to on-time for the entire outbound and return...
After landing at JFK, I picked up a rental car for a one-way drive to central PA and left NYC around 11pm. At that time, the storm was approaching NYC via southern New Jersey. I watched the weather radar loop for a bit and it looked like the storm hit the DC/PHL corridor pretty hard but mostly stayed south of my route home on I-78. (I did get some intense snow showers for a few brief minutes near Summit, NJ around midnight, but then it was mostly flurries after that.) However, driving through PA, there was a lot of high winds and blowing snow/snow drifts on the roads, even though nothing was falling from the sky. The temperature dropped as low as 6 degrees along my route. I might have to ease up on my criticism of these Northeasterners not dealing with real winter weather.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
Originally Posted by jackal
However, driving through PA, there was a lot of high winds and blowing snow/snow drifts on the roads, even though nothing was falling from the sky. The temperature dropped as low as 6 degrees along my route. I might have to ease up on my criticism of these Northeasterners not dealing with real winter weather.
Glad you made it safely - I get much more concerned about bad auto drivers in that weather than I do about those in the cockpit!

Yeah, I decided to give the NE a pass on kvetching and panic about the winter weather this year when Boston hit 7 feet of snow in a month. But only for this year.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I decided to give the NE a pass on kvetching and panic about the winter weather this year when Boston hit 7 feet of snow in a month. But only for this year.
Yeah, I'm sure that next November when that first 1/2" of snow falls, they'll be thrown into complete disarray again just as if they'd never seen a flake before in their lives.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:20 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Got my simple version of Kalua pork cooking away in the crock pot today ^

havent ever had luck finding Ti leaves but I have found banana leaves(frozen section of specialty grocery)

I just wrap up whatever chunk of pork I happen to have. Shoulder roasts work best but today Im using some country style boneless ribs wrapped up in the banana leaves. Sprinkle them with some "Island Seaonings" smoked salt seasoning, add about an inch of water to the slow cooker, and about a teaspoon of liquid mesquite smoke. Tossed in a few small potatos as well with todays batch.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Mmm need an address

Heading to KOA next week
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ANC
Got my simple version of Kalua pork cooking away in the crock pot today ^

havent ever had luck finding Ti leaves but I have found banana leaves(frozen section of specialty grocery)

I just wrap up whatever chunk of pork I happen to have. Shoulder roasts work best but today Im using some country style boneless ribs wrapped up in the banana leaves. Sprinkle them with some "Island Seaonings" smoked salt seasoning, add about an inch of water to the slow cooker, and about a teaspoon of liquid mesquite smoke. Tossed in a few small potatos as well with todays batch.
Chuckling, because I slow cooked some pork ribs yesterday.

The technique you described is very similar to one I sometimes use for cooking pork butt (shoulder). I generously season the meat with red Hawaiian sea salt, use about a cup of stock with a teaspoon of liquid smoke added, and cook it for 4 to 4 1/2 hours at 250 in my heavy Dutch overn.

Now I'll need to make a trip to New Sagaya for some banana leaves ...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I passed through SFO T1 late last night and it looks like the old BR is being used as a movie set. One of the directors is Danny Boyle. Anyone know what movie it is?
Last week some seats were removed from one of the planes for a film crew. I had assumed it was for a commercial, though with that director, I guess not.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Putzy
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I passed through SFO T1 late last night and it looks like the old BR is being used as a movie set. One of the directors is Danny Boyle. Anyone know what movie it is?
Last week some seats were removed from one of the planes for a film crew. I had assumed it was for a commercial, though with that director, I guess not.
Guess we'll need to stay tuned.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Since AS has aircraft painted in college livery ... anyone notice the category Huskies and Cougars last night on Jeopardy?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:13 pm

Aloha from the original Kona Brewing Company!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.