Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

North of Expected?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jackal
I think you just accused the majority of residents of your home state of having less than 50% functionality of their cerebrums...
I did accuse them and they stand convicted. Our new Senator KockBrothers is a prime example of that.
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
But some of the residents can see Russia from their backyard!
Unfortunately, she proved this last weekend that she cannot complete a cognitive sentence.

Remember, she is from Boise and they do not want her, will not claim her, and the majority up here feel the same.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Emirates lounge at sfo. The shrimp was really good. I'll post some more once in Dubai.
This looks exactly like the offerings in the lounge in MUC that I visited in September 2014. As I recall, it is a shared lounge for F & J. I was in the F lounge in Dubai very early the next morning and did not notice a buffet. I ate in the restaurant and ordered off the menu in the F lounge. That meal was excellent.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BOB W
This looks exactly like the offerings in the lounge in MUC that I visited in September 2014. As I recall, it is a shared lounge for F & J. I was in the F lounge in Dubai very early the next morning and did not notice a buffet. I ate in the restaurant and ordered off the menu in the F lounge. That meal was excellent.
Do you know which lounge? I ate at the restaurant in B and was very happy with the menu, albeit rushed service. The Balik salmon towards the south end of the lounge wasn't bad, either!

I had the chance to visit 3 pretty awesome lounges last week.

1. EK F - B Gates: This is one of the older F lounges, but probably one of the most lively due to it being a straight shot from the T3 entrance. For those wishing to sleep on a layover, there is a dedicated quiet lounge and HUGE couches. It's starting to look a little tired, but the service is still 5*.

2. EK F - C Gates: This is the newest F lounge and occupies the whole floor of the the C Gates. It is a ghost town. Honestly, very weird walking around here; I think I saw only 3 or 4 F flyers the whole time I was there. Food and drink is the same, just another scene.

3. BA F - Concord Lounge: Where to start - loved it! I stayed at the Hilton in T4, so figuring out the Heathrow Express transfer took a misconnect and a LONG walk to the end of T5. But, once in, I couldn't say better things. I was on the 9:20 to SEA, so the dining room was serving breakfast, where the lounge staff will allow you to order off the menu (i.e. bagels and smoked salmon). I really enjoyed the deck of the lounge as well and may have enjoyed a sampling of the impressive whiskey menu before my flight.

Hope this helps to those that are interested in redeeming AS miles for partners!
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I really enjoyed the deck of the lounge as well and may have enjoyed a sampling of the impressive whiskey menu before my flight.
I can get a few bottles of the finest whiskies for the cost of the BA fuel surcharge
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
I can get a few bottles of the finest whiskies for the cost of the BA fuel surcharge
Ain't that the truth! Plus, BA's First Class soft product would appear to have dropped off quite a bit over the years. I'll take the cash differential and buy a case of Woodfords.

That said, BA do still fly 747s and as I'm just 7500 miles shy of logging my 500000th mile in The Queen, I just might be forced to someday pay up. If and when that happens, I'll look forward to visiting the excellent Concorde Room. I know it's an excellent facility from other's reports, but last time I was there a sewage back-up led to an evacuation of the entire lounge and we were herded off to the lowly Business Class lounge.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Given that sveral recent posts have mentioned adult beverages, this article seems appropriate:
"Airlines are increasingly offering high-end liquors, pre-mixed cocktails and even craft beers to their passengers. Delta and Alaska are both launching their own specialty cocktails ... " Cocktails Go Sky-High.
Part of the piece explains why the wines served in Y on AS are so sweet that they are almost "stickies" ...
"Hal Landvoigt, director of winemaking at Precept Wine in Seattle, has made a science of wine flights — literally. To understand how air travel influences wine drinking, he took multiple wine blends onto a flight — all in TSA-approved 3-ounce bottles — then tasted them before take-off and again during the flight to see if there was a difference.

There is, he says. He followed up by tinkering with the bottles at his seat, playing with sugar and acidity levels to see what worked best.

Landvoigt also ran two in-air tastings for Alaska Air, asking passengers to pick the blend they liked best and came up with a white and a red for inflight consumption only. With reds, a little more sweetness and a little more oak presence seems to work out well. Whites also needed to be a little sweeter and little less acidic than if on the ground.

Precept currently has two wines on Alaskan flights, Canoe Ridge Vineyard Exploration merlot and pinot gris."
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I miss the glacierita

https://trademarks.justia.com/778/05/glacierita-77805223.html

Yeah AS even trademarked it
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

2. EK F - C Gates: This is the newest F lounge and occupies the whole floor of the the C Gates. It is a ghost town. Honestly, very weird walking around here; I think I saw only 3 or 4 F flyers the whole time I was there. Food and drink is the same, just another scene.
We were there for about 5 hours on a layover and same experience. Probably came across 30 people who worked there though.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Do you know which lounge? I ate at the restaurant in B and was very happy with the menu, albeit rushed service. The Balik salmon towards the south end of the lounge wasn't bad, either!

I had the chance to visit 3 pretty awesome lounges last week.

1. EK F - B Gates: This is one of the older F lounges, but probably one of the most lively due to it being a straight shot from the T3 entrance. For those wishing to sleep on a layover, there is a dedicated quiet lounge and HUGE couches. It's starting to look a little tired, but the service is still 5*.

Originally Posted by apodo77
We were there for about 5 hours on a layover and same experience. Probably came across 30 people who worked there though.
No offense intended, but a quick correction to the Emirates First Class Lounges in Dubai.
It is the newer A Lounge that covers the entire A380 concourse, with the First Class lounge located a floor above the Business Class lounge. Personally, I've found the massive A lounge to be a tad sterile and overwhelming.

From the literature, "Concourse A is the world's first A380 purpose built facility and also features the world’s first multi-level boarding for first and business class passengers directly from the respective lounges"
Here's a link to a map that may help put things into perspective:

You are correct that the B Lounge is a bit older, but I beg to differ that it looks old or worn. (A difference of opinion, I guess). I found it to be the most hospitable lounge, with a terrific sit-down restaurant as well as multiple buffet areas offering all types of cuisine, and lots of room to spread out and explore. It's been my favorite during my many visits to Dubai as well as during transits through DXB.

Then there is the smaller, more intimate, C Lounge, that is located at the far end of the gates. It can be accessed either from old Terminal 1 or - with a nice long walk - from the gigantic Terminal 3. It also has a small, sit-down restaurant with a similar menu to that offered in the B lounge, and a small, but curated selection of champagne, wine and other beverages.

It's a nice spot to visit if you're flying form a C gate - as I was during a recent month, flying DXB-HKG out of gate C23. But I also made a point of visiting the B Lounge as a starting point first before working my way down to the C Lounge - I simply adore that B Lounge

During the same trip (LAX-DXB-HGK-LAX on EK F and CX F I also did a multi-hour "Lounge Crawl" through all of the CX business and first lounges in Hong Kong, sampling beverages and food offering the entire length of that massive concours. It was great fun!

One of these days I may have to write up a trip report or two from my extensive notes and musings ...
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:05 pm

Well this was probably a waste of money... But I've got 90 minutes to kill, I wanted a couple drinks, and the SEA board room is open till 10:30...

They have spinach, croutons, almonds, and garbanzo beans for the "salad". Some crackers but no cheese out. And cream of potato soup (not vegetarian). And some cookies...

They said it's been a slow night, but dang, I was hoping for a decent salad and cheese & crackers. Oh well, probably would've blown at least $20 on drinks somewhere else anyway...
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:55 am

Spotted a UA744 @ PANC this morning

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-2-9-15-a.html

Last edited by jackal; Feb 9, 2015 at 11:05 am Reason: WAP site does not activate link
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I passed through SFO T1 late last night and it looks like the old BR is being used as a movie set. One of the directors is Danny Boyle. Anyone know what movie it is?

I was tempted to help myself to some craft services because I had to wait behind a bunch of the camera crew at TSA. None of them had their badges/ID/lives together.

Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I passed through SFO T1 late last night and it looks like the old BR is being used as a movie set. One of the directors is Danny Boyle. Anyone know what movie it is?

I was tempted to help myself to some craft services because I had to wait behind a bunch of the camera crew at TSA. None of them had their badges/ID/lives together.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Steve Jobs movie. I know they were going to film location shots around San Fran so maybe there will be an airport scene (?)
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
DCA delays?

In SEA, and AS4 to DCA keeps getting delayed and delayed while the gate agent says DC weather is the cause. But FlightStats and the FAA site both say no weather issues. Plus, the weather both now and forecast in DC look pretty reasonable.

Anybody else having DC issues today? AS6 or the PDX flight (is that AS764?)?

Last edited by amunter; Feb 14, 2015 at 11:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.