Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
How can one change name on ticket, not refundable or first class? Same last name. Also within 60 days of flights.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
YYY might be the problem but without knowing what city its hard to tell.
As near as I can tell, it's like that for all city pairs. For instance:

SEA-SLC 19 Sep / SLC-SFO 26 Sep - 5k
SEA-BOI 19 Sep / BOI-SFO 26 Sep - unavailable any dates
SEA-SUN 19 Sep / SUN-SFO 26 Sep - unavailable any dates

SFO-SLC 19 Sep / SLC-LAX 26 Sep - 5k
SFO-BOI 19 Sep / BOI-LAX 26 Sep - unavailable any dates
SFO-SUN 19 Sep / SUN-LAX 26 Sep - unavailable any dates

It's not actually a huge deal - when travelling with two people, it's still much better to drive six hours round trip than pay $360 for the DL hop from TWF to SLC, but I'd sure like to know WHY it's not working, so that I'll stop trying =p
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by synergistic
As near as I can tell, it's like that for all city pairs. For instance:

SEA-SLC 19 Sep / SLC-SFO 26 Sep - 5k
SEA-BOI 19 Sep / BOI-SFO 26 Sep - unavailable any dates
SEA-SUN 19 Sep / SUN-SFO 26 Sep - unavailable any dates

SFO-SLC 19 Sep / SLC-LAX 26 Sep - 5k
SFO-BOI 19 Sep / BOI-LAX 26 Sep - unavailable any dates
SFO-SUN 19 Sep / SUN-LAX 26 Sep - unavailable any dates

It's not actually a huge deal - when travelling with two people, it's still much better to drive six hours round trip than pay $360 for the DL hop from TWF to SLC, but I'd sure like to know WHY it's not working, so that I'll stop trying =p
Routing is probably the issue I'm surprised SFO-LAX w/ SLC stopover was allowed. SEA-SFO via SLC seems somewhat logical. Probably some sort of block from when the new 5K awards were exploited.
synergistic likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Routing is probably the issue I'm surprised SFO-LAX w/ SLC stopover was allowed. SEA-SFO via SLC seems somewhat logical. Probably some sort of block from when the new 5K awards were exploited.
To be fair, I'm well aware that what I'm doing is a sort of exploitation itself - I'm a bit fuzzy myself as to why SLC is allowed for as many pairs as it is. I'm leaning towards the idea that they're happy to take anything they can from DL at this point...

All good, though, I discovered that I can get BOI-XXX-SLC to work as a one way award (what?? why??) and may end up doing that combined with one way car rentals - quite a lot easier than daisychaining multiple trips together with long 'stopovers' back home. Makes cancelling a single trip viable as well, which is pretty valuable to me.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Do Alaska get access to fewer seats on Cathay compared to oneworld partners? I am looking at HKG-DXB and both BA and QF are showing availability, but Alaska agents can't see anything.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by staff
Do Alaska get access to fewer seats on Cathay compared to oneworld partners? I am looking at HKG-DXB and both BA and QF are showing availability, but Alaska agents can't see anything.

Thoughts?
It seems to be a common issue. Whether its not available or agent error who knows.

Here is the Cathay award thread. Lots of posts about the phenomena.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...017-later.html
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:15 pm

As MVP Gold, I get free changes even within the 60 day window. What about my travel companion on the same fare code? What if I use the companion discount, will the travel companion get free changes also?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
As MVP Gold, I get free changes even within the 60 day window. What about my travel companion on the same fare code? What if I use the companion discount, will the travel companion get free changes also?
By the rules, no. The exception is on award tickets booked with miles from a Gold account. But for revenue tickets, only the Gold gets the free changes within 60 days, even for a companion on the same PNR There have been reports that some have gotten the change fee waived for their non-status companion by phoning in and asking but I wouldn't count on it and I have always been charged for my companion's changes.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Finkface
I have always been charged for my companion's changes.
This mirrors my experience (unless my companion has MVPG+ status).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
This mirrors my experience (unless my companion has MVPG+ status).
I can often talk my way into getting my wife's changes waived, but definitely not always.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by quemalo
I can often talk my way into getting my wife's changes waived, but definitely not always.
My wife was able to get a son's ticket changed that involved GGUs by calling reservations. The call took a long time because the agent contacted Customer Care to get approval, keeping the upgrades intact for the new dates. No fees for the change and it was less than 60 days. I was able to change ours at no cost, but we're both golds.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
asking again

How can one change name on ticket, not refundable or first class? Same last name. Also within 60 days of flights.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:11 am

Is there a way to see on the Alaska web site which terminal my San Francisco flight leaves from? Under "flight status" for whatever reason it shows my arrival gate in Portland but just says "San Francisco"under departure city. Thank you!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by rkh29
Are you talking about changing the passenger completely? As in the person you originally booked can no longer travel and you want someone else to go in their place? If so, you cannot do this as tickets are non-transferrable. Even if it is to someone with the same last name.

Did you use a companion code when you booked this? If so, and if it is the companion's ticket that you want to change (not the primary traveller), this can be done but you will pay any applicable change fees.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by rkh29
Originally Posted by Finkface
Are you talking about changing the passenger completely? As in the person you originally booked can no longer travel and you want someone else to go in their place? If so, you cannot do this as tickets are non-transferrable. Even if it is to someone with the same last name.

Did you use a companion code when you booked this? If so, and if it is the companion's ticket that you want to change (not the primary traveller), this can be done but you will pay any applicable change fees.
I only have done this twice and not in the last year, but as far as I know name changes are allowed with a name change fee equal to the change fee ($125). Calling in is required.

Same last name won't help (and won't hurt).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.