Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have discovered (?) a very frustrating AS IT glitch.

I booked a trip online XXX-SEA and SEA-XXX; each flight is on two different days. I used the option of looking for flights with MVPG GGU upgrade availability (in the hopes of finding a GGU to use). Given the fare difference, I did NOT purchase the U fare on the first flight, but DID purchase it on the second flight.

I was able to find a GGU and wanted to apply to the second flight. But the website booked it in T class (even though at the close of booking it did give me the option of applying a GGU -- but I didn't have one at the time). Now, the AS Twitter rep is saying the whole itinerary is booked in T and therefore neither segment is eligible to apply a GGU.

I've hesitated to call AS reservations this weekend knowing they were swamped with the weather-stuff in the PNW, but I'm hoping someone there will be able to dig deep enough to see that indeed segment two was booked in U, even though a GGU wasn't applied at time of booking. Otherwise, I simply wasted the $40 upcharge for booking that segment in U.

Surprised that AS' website will let you book two different fare classes for one itinerary yet cannot actually ticket such correctly.

Any ideas?
Originally Posted by czpdx
I'm not familiar with the peculiarities of using GGUs (MVP only...never had one), but I do know that if you book a single itinerary with different fare types on different segments, the entire itinerary will inherit the rules of the most restrictive segment. For example, say you book one segment at a low-fare non-refundable price and the next segment at a fully refundable price (because that was all that was available on that segment). If you tried to change that second segment, leaving the first one alone, you would still pay a change fee even though that segment was technically fully refundable (assuming you're not MVPG, of course).
This is incorrect for this scenario. Even if you only had one K+ fare with 5 other segments as GTR, you would be able to apply a GGU for the eligible segment. I've done this many times.

Not sure what to do at this point since I did pay for the GGU-upgradeable fare class for the second segment.
Do you have your email receipt? It will list the purchased fare codes there. I'm not trying to doubt you, but the system could have mistakenly booked you into the wrong fare and charged you accordingly.

Did you do a low price guarantee claim by any chance? If so, this (usually) will drop you into an ineligible fare bucket.

Since you are booked into T, just call and ask for an upfare to a GGU eligible fare for that segment. They won't charge you a change fee for it, just the fare difference
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Sorry to be a pest on this thread

If I use my (MVP status) miles for a single segment Q400 flight, and my spouse uses her (no status) miles for the same flight, can I call and get her in the exit row with me even if we're obviously therefore on different PNRs?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:18 pm

If I use my (MVP status) miles for a single segment Q400 flight, and my spouse uses her (no status) miles for the same flight, can I call and get her in the exit row with me even if we're obviously therefore on different PNRs?
Yes, you usually can! If you are on the same flight but different reservations, a phone agent will usually allow the non-status flyer to select elite seats.

Edit to add: I am now recalling that someone here mentioned difficulty with this with agents who weren't aware, so if you get resistance, HUACA.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:31 pm

Got a stupid question here. I've got an award flight coming up. It's mixed AS/AA on the same ticket and I'm wondering about checked bag fees etc. Is it safe to check in online and pay the fee? Will I need to pay twice?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by maniac78
Got a stupid question here. I've got an award flight coming up. It's mixed AS/AA on the same ticket and I'm wondering about checked bag fees etc. Is it safe to check in online and pay the fee? Will I need to pay twice?
Who is the first operating airline? If it's Alaska, go ahead and pay. I've never had an issue.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
Can someone point me to where AS fare classes are explained?

Feeling clueless about some of the classes and it seems they are much more important now
I noticed no one has replied to your question yet. What specifically are you looking for?

I made this table a while back to break down AS fare buckets. I updated it a bit to reflect recent changes, though there still may be mistakes.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

That used to be the case but I believe things have changed. There has been a lot of discussion about it in this forum lately, maybe even in this thread. I'll see if I can find it. But I believe you must be on the same PNR to have a no status companion sit in a premium seat with you. I know this is true for premium class https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-upgrades.aspx but I could be wrong about exit row. I'll see if I can find the discussion.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Thank you!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

That used to be the case but I'm not sure if things have changed? There has been a lot of discussion about it in this forum lately, maybe even in this thread. I'll see if I can find it. But I thought people were saying you now had to be on the same PNR to have a no status companion sit in a premium seat with you. I know this is true for premium class https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-upgrades.aspx but I'm not sure about exit row. I'll see if I can find the discussion.

Edit: double posted, sorry.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:37 pm

When booking an AA flight as an elite, can you pick your complimentary preferred seating immediately?

Reason i'm asking is because a friend and I will probably purchase 2 separate one way tickets for the flight. If both of us are MVP, then we should be able to still select seats next to each other while booking, correct?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
When booking an AA flight as an elite, can you pick your complimentary preferred seating immediately?
Yes.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sturges
I noticed no one has replied to your question yet. What specifically are you looking for?

I made this table a while back to break down AS fare buckets. I updated it a bit to reflect recent changes, though there still may be mistakes.
^^^ That's a great chart sturges!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by sturges
Who is the first operating airline? If it's Alaska, go ahead and pay. I've never had an issue.
Thanks! Yes the first flight is alaska.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:10 pm

I have a couple of $100 AS discount codes.

Is it possible to apply both online for a one-way flight for two people?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:17 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I have a couple of $100 AS discount codes.

Is it possible to apply both online for a one-way flight for two people?
You can only apply one discount per booking. So you'd need to book the two people separately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.