Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
SEA-LAX AS472 02/01/17 1445
Pasta dish, salad with vinaigrette, chocolate brownie.
(Everyone else got a bread stick, but somehow I missed out. For the best not to fill up on bread when my next stop was the Qantas F lounge at TBIT.)

Was surprised to see that there's no Amaretto, but hazelnut vodka instead. Is Alaska trying to be unusual, or are they just being cheap? Anyhow, it was an adequate Amaretto stand-in.
I think there must be some sort of bread shortage lately with AS catering....I had the ravioli the other day on SAT-SEA that would normally come with a roll or some type of bread, but I don't think anyone in the cabin got it. The danishes have also disappeared from most of the breakfasts. Sad
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Finally, here's wishing a happy and healthy New Year to all with special mention and best wishes for a full recovery to fellow meal reporter extraordinaire AKCuisine.
Thanks for the nice shout out, Seat 2A. I hope to resume my AS culinary critiques later this month when I'm feeling better and once again able to fly for fun.

It's good to see you're back in the air, flying in F, and posting on this thread following your recuperation time. And I'm looking forward to hearing about your JL F experience!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Was surprised to see that there's no Amaretto, but hazelnut vodka instead. Is Alaska trying to be unusual, or are they just being cheap?
http://www.craterlakespirits.com/cra...spresso-vodka/

AS has highlighted local producers to the Pacific Northwest (Hedge Trimmer Gin from Sun Liquor in Seattle, Alaskan Amber from Alaska Brewing Company) so a company from Bend, Oregon is Alaska being unusual.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
SEA-IAD - same cod, different day.

and cafe au lait chicken.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by lalala
SEA-IAD - same cod, different day. And cafe au lait chicken.
C'mon lalala, out with it! What exactly is Cafe Au Lait Chicken? Je ne parle pas français!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:12 pm

C'mon lalala, out with it! What exactly is Cafe Au Lait Chicken? Je ne parle pas français!
I'm not sure, but it sounds like it would be a highly caffeinated chicken. Probably running around like its head was cut-off...
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

What exactly is Cafe Au Lait Chicken?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
As much as I'd like to see some healthier bread options offered on Alaska's flights, I agree that even a Danish would've been a nice addition to this meal. Again, I wonder how much the galley space on the ERJ-175 - which is designed for regional flights - might influence the meal options?

Seattle to Milwaukee checks in at 1690 miles - possibly the longest regional jet flight in the U.S.
how about united;s ord-psp
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
BOS-SEA

Salad: black Tuscan kale and baby mesclun, roasted cauliflower, pumpkin seeds and pecorino cheese (delicious)

Brown roll (pretty bad)

Entrees:

Cheese ravioli with tomato sauce and smoked mozzarella + grilled zucchini (meh)

Trident wild Alaskan cod puttanesca, lemon orzo and steamed broccolini (didn't see)

Dessert: Chuckanut key lime cheesecake (yummy)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SLC/SFO "Breakfast" - some oatmealy bowl w/nuts and cranberries, and a fresh seasonal fruit plate, picked right by the farm just past where the plane was de-iced (sliced watermelon, strawberries, pineapple and oranges). Fantastic crew
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
SEA-OAK, mid morning flight on 1/7, served my favorite Fruit & Cheese plate. It was perfect, as it left me with enough appetite for an In-N-Out burger upon arrival.

SJC-SEA, evening flight on 1/8, served a chicken Caesar salad.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
I am AS newbie, just recently got 75k status match in advance of us moving to PDX area in summer. Been flying to ANC every week now, have seen the Chicken Caesar almost every afternoon and late flight. What a disgusting item!! Heck I'll take AA snack basket over this.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:00 pm

Can anyone predict what I may get for my 5:55 PM Departure SJC-SEA in roughly a week? Will it be more of a dinner even if the flight is listed as a snack. I see someone got a Chicken Cesar Salad mid afternoon but this is more closer to Dinner time so do you think it will be a hot entree?

Also what do you think I'll get on my SEA-DFW 11:50 PM Departure listed as a snack?

I know that I can access the Boardroom as my Fare is A(First Class Award not upgrade) so I 'll supplement it with soup, salad,, cheese and other snacks.

I'll be happy to report about my flight and service I received.
Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn
Can anyone predict what I may get for my 5:55 PM Departure SJC-SEA in roughly a week? Will it be more of a dinner even if the flight is listed as a snack. I see someone got a Chicken Cesar Salad mid afternoon but this is more closer to Dinner time so do you think it will be a hot entree?

Well, I suppose I could try. Now, are we talking an accurate prediction? Looking into my crystal ball, I see SJC-SEA is a fairly short west coast route, checking in at about 700 miles with chock to chock time at 2:00. I see a route this short as offering more of a salad plate type service. The longer glamour routes like LAX-SEA would likely see a hot dish such as chicken and pasta. If you're really hungry, you might want to get yourself something to eat beforehand at SJC.

Also what do you think I'll get on my SEA-DFW 11:50 PM Departure listed as a snack?

Probably a couple of cookies. And maybe some nuts. No more. No less.

Keep in mind that much of the glamour associated with Alaska's meal service has long been relegated to the dustbin of history. The airline began to institute severe cutbacks to its meal service about 14 years ago and, while today's First Class offerings are - by today's standards - pretty much par for the course, (with the occasional Hawaii or transcon exception like meals out of CHS) the meal service is by no means worthy of extended public accolade.

Oddly enough, where I think Alaska really shines is back in the main cabin where some of the Tom Douglas hot meals, sold for $8.00, are quite good and filling. They're normally available on flights to/from Seattle that are longer than 3 hours. You'll find more info on them HERE. It's possible that one of them might be available on your SEA-DFW flight. Even though you're in First Class, I believe you'll have to pay for it. Again though... don't get your hopes up. It is, after all, near midnight and most passengers - regardless of class traveled in - would rather sleep than eat. As such, I should imagine the flight is catered accordingly.

I know that I can access the Boardroom as my Fare is A(First Class Award not upgrade) so I 'll supplement it with soup, salad,, cheese and other snacks.

Sounds like a plan. Have a good flight and we'll look forward to your reports.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 10, 2017 at 3:19 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
The longer glamour routes like LAX-SEA would likely see a hot dish such as chicken and pasta.
I have never seen anybody ever refer to LAX-SEA as a glamour route.

But the service on this 2-2.5hr flight is usually a light meal (no choice of selection), or a snack basket/cookie, depending on timing.

It is much lighter compared to the actual transcons and midcons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.