Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

PDX terminal expansion, AS relocating to E gates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*

I read a thread on a.net (I'm not a subscriber there), that needed clarity so thought I would check here. This morning, I forgot to ask Frank at the PDX BR if he knew anything, so here goes:

It sounded as if UA is going to take over the AS BR space sometime in 2017 and will begin using gates C1,C3,C5,C7.

So, is AS relocating to the E/D side? Are they getting different space elsewhere? Anybody have further info?

Feel like I should know more, though have been so busy with work, haven't been able to keep up with latest news.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
I read a thread on a.net (I'm not a subscriber there), that needed clarity so thought I would check here. This morning, I forgot to ask Frank at the PDX BR if he knew anything, so here goes:

It sounded as if UA is going to take over the AS BR space sometime in 2017 and will begin using gates C1,C3,C5,C7.

So, is AS relocating to the E/D side? Are they getting different space elsewhere? Anybody have further info?

Feel like I should know more, though have been so busy with work, haven't been able to keep up with latest news.
My understanding is the Port of Portland is extending the E gates by 200' east and will move AS operations over there in 2017 and move UA to the lower C gates at PDX. I have heard this will also eliminate the A gate mess for AS, as well as the really odd B gates. Should be a good thing.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
My understanding is the Port of Portland is extending the E gates by 200' east and will move AS operations over there in 2017 and move UA to the lower C gates at PDX. I have heard this will also eliminate the A gate mess for AS, as well as the really odd B gates. Should be a good thing.
That will be just weird. About time for a new thread too

New rooftop PDX BR?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
New rooftop PDX BR?
Supposedly AS is taking over the UA club which is upstairs. I've never been in it, but the folks at the BR say the views are much better than the current BR.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Supposedly AS is taking over the UA club which is upstairs. I've never been in it, but the folks at the BR say the views are much better than the current BR.

The PDX SC has ok views- but IIRC the windows are tinted.

Hmm a chance they might get a full bar?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Hard to believe UA will continue to need four gates at PDX with its announced drawdown plans.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Hard to believe UA will continue to need four gates at PDX with its announced drawdown plans.
Not to mention a UA club....lol....btw, the UA club at PDX does have better views than the BR....it's about the exact same size as the BR...hopefully QX doesn't try to re-create the "dungeon" E gates that UAX flights use to use before they left PDX....that place made the A gates look like heaven
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:28 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.1; Nexus 5 Build/LRX22C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.109 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Very interesting. The PoPDX description makes it sound like the expansion is specifically for ground loading (i.e. QX):
http://www.portofportland.com/Selfpost/A_2015130163815APDXNextFS6.pdf

Doesn't AS use something like 8 C gates now? IIRC, there are only 5 real Jetway gates on E (E6 is the former UX ground holdroom, and E7 is the odd stairway down to the UX stands). On the other hand, maybe AS can spill over to D as needed -- DL only seems to use 4 or 5 gates over there of 15, and NK/VX/HA/Y4 are all quite small operations.

I also wonder what becomes of the A and B gates after this is complete... with the demise of UX it wouldn't seem that UA or anyone else over there would use them.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:00 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
:

I thought there was a law/regulation that prevents that now. So Im not sure if moving from C to E would matter
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ANC

The PDX SC has ok views- but IIRC the windows are tinted.

I thought there was a law/regulation that prevents that now. So Im not sure if moving from C to E would matter
FWIW, the PDX United Club Lounge used to serve spirits in addition to wine and beer. Has this changed in the past year or am I getting it mixed up with another lounge?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by 21A
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.1; Nexus 5 Build/LRX22C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.109 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Very interesting. The PoPDX description makes it sound like the expansion is specifically for ground loading (i.e. QX):
http://www.portofportland.com/Selfpo...PDXNextFS6.pdf

Doesn't AS use something like 8 C gates now? IIRC, there are only 5 real Jetway gates on E (E6 is the former UX ground holdroom, and E7 is the odd stairway down to the UX stands). On the other hand, maybe AS can spill over to D as needed -- DL only seems to use 4 or 5 gates over there of 15, and NK/VX/HA/Y4 are all quite small operations.

I also wonder what becomes of the A and B gates after this is complete... with the demise of UX it wouldn't seem that UA or anyone else over there would use them.
I think the only way this works is if AS uses some of D as well. Shouldn't be a huge issue. PDX is not exactly lacking in excess gate space.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I've got no complaints with the PDX operation as is, so hopefully this is just talk. Besides, I'll miss breakfasts at the Laurelwood Restaurant over on A.

As for United's Club, last I visited it was not upstairs (like Delta's SC) but rather was at concourse level at the top of the E concourse. As has been noted, it has superior views of the tarmac.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I've got no complaints with the PDX operation as is, so hopefully this is just talk. Besides, I'll miss breakfasts at the Laurelwood Restaurant over on A.

As for United's Club, last I visited it was not upstairs (like Delta's SC) but rather was at concourse level at the top of the E concourse. As has been noted, it has superior views of the tarmac.
Huh? The UC is up one level from the gate concourse. You enter across from E1 and once inside take either the elevator or stairs up. It essentially sits above the ceiling of the E walkway/gate E1/E2. You look out on a bit of roof and the north taxi/runway complex.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:43 pm

My trip to PDX last week was my first time in a BR. I was kind of surprised to see how small it was - AS operates what, 4 lounges of its own? And at a hub? I kind of expected a larger, nicer space.

However, the staff were really, incredibly nice. My daughter loved the pancake machine. I hope that whatever new space the BR occupies is a little less... narrow. That's the best way to describe how the PDX BR looked to me.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Huh? The UC is up one level from the gate concourse. You enter across from E1 and once inside take either the elevator or stairs up. It essentially sits above the ceiling of the E walkway/gate E1/E2. You look out on a bit of roof and the north taxi/runway complex.
Interesting. It's been awhile since I've been over there but since I'm a member I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in Portland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.