FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   PDX terminal expansion, AS relocating to E gates? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1656767-pdx-terminal-expansion-relocating-e-gates.html)

pdxasflyer Feb 16, 2015 11:19 am

PDX terminal expansion, AS relocating to E gates?

I read a thread on a.net (I'm not a subscriber there), that needed clarity so thought I would check here. This morning, I forgot to ask Frank at the PDX BR if he knew anything, so here goes:

It sounded as if UA is going to take over the AS BR space sometime in 2017 and will begin using gates C1,C3,C5,C7.

So, is AS relocating to the E/D side? Are they getting different space elsewhere? Anybody have further info?

Feel like I should know more, though have been so busy with work, haven't been able to keep up with latest news.

Waitlisted Feb 20, 2015 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer (Post 24360970)
I read a thread on a.net (I'm not a subscriber there), that needed clarity so thought I would check here. This morning, I forgot to ask Frank at the PDX BR if he knew anything, so here goes:

It sounded as if UA is going to take over the AS BR space sometime in 2017 and will begin using gates C1,C3,C5,C7.

So, is AS relocating to the E/D side? Are they getting different space elsewhere? Anybody have further info?

Feel like I should know more, though have been so busy with work, haven't been able to keep up with latest news.

My understanding is the Port of Portland is extending the E gates by 200' east and will move AS operations over there in 2017 and move UA to the lower C gates at PDX. I have heard this will also eliminate the A gate mess for AS, as well as the really odd B gates. Should be a good thing.

beckoa Feb 20, 2015 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Waitlisted (Post 24388740)
My understanding is the Port of Portland is extending the E gates by 200' east and will move AS operations over there in 2017 and move UA to the lower C gates at PDX. I have heard this will also eliminate the A gate mess for AS, as well as the really odd B gates. Should be a good thing.

That will be just weird. About time for a new thread too ;)

New rooftop PDX BR?

tusphotog Feb 21, 2015 12:07 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 24388783)
New rooftop PDX BR?

Supposedly AS is taking over the UA club which is upstairs. I've never been in it, but the folks at the BR say the views are much better than the current BR.

beckoa Feb 21, 2015 12:33 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 24388873)
Supposedly AS is taking over the UA club which is upstairs. I've never been in it, but the folks at the BR say the views are much better than the current BR.

:cool:

The PDX SC has ok views- but IIRC the windows are tinted.

Hmm a chance they might get a full bar? :D

BearX220 Feb 21, 2015 5:55 am

Hard to believe UA will continue to need four gates at PDX with its announced drawdown plans.

PDXPremier Feb 21, 2015 10:06 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 24389581)
Hard to believe UA will continue to need four gates at PDX with its announced drawdown plans.

Not to mention a UA club....lol....btw, the UA club at PDX does have better views than the BR....it's about the exact same size as the BR...hopefully QX doesn't try to re-create the "dungeon" E gates that UAX flights use to use before they left PDX....that place made the A gates look like heaven :)

21A Feb 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.1; Nexus 5 Build/LRX22C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.109 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Very interesting. The PoPDX description makes it sound like the expansion is specifically for ground loading (i.e. QX):
http://www.portofportland.com/Selfpost/A_2015130163815APDXNextFS6.pdf

Doesn't AS use something like 8 C gates now? IIRC, there are only 5 real Jetway gates on E (E6 is the former UX ground holdroom, and E7 is the odd stairway down to the UX stands). On the other hand, maybe AS can spill over to D as needed -- DL only seems to use 4 or 5 gates over there of 15, and NK/VX/HA/Y4 are all quite small operations.

I also wonder what becomes of the A and B gates after this is complete... with the demise of UX it wouldn't seem that UA or anyone else over there would use them.

ANC Feb 21, 2015 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 24388911)
:

I thought there was a law/regulation that prevents that now. So Im not sure if moving from C to E would matter

AKCuisine Feb 21, 2015 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ANC (Post 24391684)

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 24388911)
:cool:

The PDX SC has ok views- but IIRC the windows are tinted.

I thought there was a law/regulation that prevents that now. So Im not sure if moving from C to E would matter

FWIW, the PDX United Club Lounge used to serve spirits in addition to wine and beer. Has this changed in the past year or am I getting it mixed up with another lounge?

Chugach Feb 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by 21A (Post 24391535)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.1; Nexus 5 Build/LRX22C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.109 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Very interesting. The PoPDX description makes it sound like the expansion is specifically for ground loading (i.e. QX):
http://www.portofportland.com/Selfpo...PDXNextFS6.pdf

Doesn't AS use something like 8 C gates now? IIRC, there are only 5 real Jetway gates on E (E6 is the former UX ground holdroom, and E7 is the odd stairway down to the UX stands). On the other hand, maybe AS can spill over to D as needed -- DL only seems to use 4 or 5 gates over there of 15, and NK/VX/HA/Y4 are all quite small operations.

I also wonder what becomes of the A and B gates after this is complete... with the demise of UX it wouldn't seem that UA or anyone else over there would use them.

I think the only way this works is if AS uses some of D as well. Shouldn't be a huge issue. PDX is not exactly lacking in excess gate space.

Seat 2A Feb 21, 2015 3:21 pm

I've got no complaints with the PDX operation as is, so hopefully this is just talk. Besides, I'll miss breakfasts at the Laurelwood Restaurant over on A.

As for United's Club, last I visited it was not upstairs (like Delta's SC) but rather was at concourse level at the top of the E concourse. As has been noted, it has superior views of the tarmac.

pdx1M Feb 21, 2015 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A (Post 24392079)
I've got no complaints with the PDX operation as is, so hopefully this is just talk. Besides, I'll miss breakfasts at the Laurelwood Restaurant over on A.

As for United's Club, last I visited it was not upstairs (like Delta's SC) but rather was at concourse level at the top of the E concourse. As has been noted, it has superior views of the tarmac.

Huh? The UC is up one level from the gate concourse. You enter across from E1 and once inside take either the elevator or stairs up. It essentially sits above the ceiling of the E walkway/gate E1/E2. You look out on a bit of roof and the north taxi/runway complex.

PWMTrav Feb 21, 2015 7:43 pm

My trip to PDX last week was my first time in a BR. I was kind of surprised to see how small it was - AS operates what, 4 lounges of its own? And at a hub? I kind of expected a larger, nicer space.

However, the staff were really, incredibly nice. My daughter loved the pancake machine. I hope that whatever new space the BR occupies is a little less... narrow. That's the best way to describe how the PDX BR looked to me.

Seat 2A Feb 21, 2015 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by pdx1M (Post 24392799)
Huh? The UC is up one level from the gate concourse. You enter across from E1 and once inside take either the elevator or stairs up. It essentially sits above the ceiling of the E walkway/gate E1/E2. You look out on a bit of roof and the north taxi/runway complex.

Interesting. It's been awhile since I've been over there but since I'm a member I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in Portland.