Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missydarlin
Mileage accrual on Delta flights are changing eff 1/1/15.

Increase in miles earned on premium fares. Decrease on discount economy.

First Class

F, P - 200% of miles flown
A - 175% of miles flown
G - 125% of miles flown

Business Class

J,C - 175% of miles flown
D, I - 150% of miles flown
Z - 125% of miles flown

Economy

Y - 125% of miles flown
B, M, S - 100% of miles flown
H, Q, K - 75% of miles flown
L, U, T, X, V - 50% of miles flown
E - 25% of miles flown

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/benefits/elite-levels-and-benefits/program-changes.aspx
Print Wikipost

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Is my math correct?

say I fly 3000 miles DL T class after Jan 1. It earns 50%, so 1500 miles. If I'm 75K, I get 125% bonus, that brings it up to 3375 miles. Right?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by italdesign
So, when do you guys think the award chart will hike?
There is a certain "other-shoe-still-to-drop" ominousness about this mixed news. Can't say I'm surprised by the Delta devaluation (and I rarely use that word). I'm more surprised it's not worse. Pleased by the increased AS metal bonuses, though.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Seeing as it just went up in May...hope not.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Is my math correct?

say I fly 3000 miles DL T class after Jan 1. It earns 50%, so 1500 miles. If I'm 75K, I get 125% bonus, that brings it up to 3375 miles. Right?
Yes. That matches how it currently works with EK flights
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Doubt it, This is due to DLs change in earning structure. Last piece (hopefully) of the puzzle is what AS flights will earn when credited to DL.

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
There is a certain "other-shoe-still-to-drop" ominousness about this mixed news. Can't say I'm surprised by the Delta devaluation (and I rarely use that word). I'm more surprised it's not worse. Pleased by the increased AS metal bonuses, though.
I learned from AS social medial team back when DL changed its earning structure that this exact change was coming down the line. The only that that had not been decided on was what the percent would be
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Is my math correct?

The bonus award miles from MVP status do not count towards elite status. It's just 3375 RDM total. Before Jan 1, you would get 6000 RDM.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by BearX220
Fat chance. I just booked a DL TATL trip for February in V class. Should have been 11k EQMs, now 5.5k. I just won't do that again. Future longhauls on my own dime will be via BA or AA, or I'll head up to YVR and fly KL metal.
This is essentially the same boat I'm in. This year I made MVPG on a half-dozen TATL on DL in lowest coach class available (generally V, but occasionally H/Q), along with another half-dozen AS RT's domestically. On track for about 65k AS+partners total this year. Went back and did the calculations based on the 2015 earnings, and would have barely gone above 40k this year.

Really have no problem changing my SEA-AMS flights on DL to SEA-LHR on BA for next year. If only AS would buddy-up better with some elite reciprocal benefits on BA, and if BA could get on board with PreCheck, I probably would have done so already.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
They will also be reduced
I'm sure your marketing folks have done the math...but assuming one is more interested in earning EQMs versus RDMs doesn't this incent one to fly DL and credit miles to SkyMiles? Or MileagePlus for that matter? In these programs EQMs are still awarded in miles flown.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Fat chance. I just booked a DL TATL trip for February in V class. Should have been 11k EQMs, now 5.5k. I just won't do that again. Future longhauls on my own dime will be via BA or AA, or I'll head up to YVR and fly KL metal.
You can fly AF starting March from YVR too.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by keitherson
You can fly AF starting March from YVR too.
That's right -- absolutely! I miss the short-lived AF presence in SEA. Now more than ever.

I expect I'll see a lot fewer DL cabins in 2015.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:24 pm

I expect I'll see a lot fewer DL cabins in 2015.
I have a feeling there will be a lot fewer MVPs on DL in 2015...and may be the intended result.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
What a joke. I have no reason to fly Delta anymore.
For a low enough E fare... sure, I do. But I have to take into account the difference in miles I gain on AS (100%+ bonus) vs. DL (25%+bonus). If I value the miles at somewhere between a penny or two a mile, on a ~2000 mile round-trip, that's $20 to $40 in RDM, plus the loss in EQM... so I'd say DL has to beat AS/AA by... a lot.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Any word from DL about changes to their partners' mileage awards? I know I earn less when flying some foreign airlines already, but not aware of changes for 2015 to the DL SM mileage awarded if flying Alaska. I guess the turf war is heightened!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by B787938
I have a feeling there will be a lot fewer MVPs on DL in 2015...and may be the intended result.
That was one of my first thoughts as they have a whopping number of high-level elites chasing a very limited number of upgrades.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:32 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Adios, DL. The irony for them is that when I do book premium (long-haul business class) tickets, I'll purposely avoid them now because they're dicks. AA, BA and Emirates thank you, Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.