Wiki Posts
Search

Yearly travel insurance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yearly travel insurance

I realise this isn't really a question about Air NZ per se, but obviously there are lots of people here from NZ so I figured it's probably the best place to post it.

Does anybody have any recommendations for yearly domestic and international travel policies from NZ insurance companies? It's not something I'd ever looked into, but with the amount of traveling I've done this year, and plan to do next year it's something I'm keen to look into.. Especially when (touch wood) I've never had a single thing ever go wrong when traveling, which statistically means the odds of something going wrong are increasing significantly!

As I've ended up with quite a few rental cars in the past year, something that's got a generous policy in regards to this would be good.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
We use Chubb in Australia and have had good experience. Not sure if they operate in NZ
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I use the AirNZ Gold Elite travel insurance (I think called Koru Cover) and have used it for a few years. It is an annual travel policy (unlimited trips <60 days).
One of the things I like about it is that it covers many common conditions (e.g. controlled hypertension) as part of the standard policy.
Note that it does not cover travel in NZ.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: NZG,QF S
I have used this Co for last 5yrs.Found them excellent
http://www.duinsure.co.nz/
Click on quote "Annual Frequent Traveller".Have taken the optional Business cover & removal of standard excess options
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I've got Southern Cross Travelcare. Haven't had to make a claim, so can't attest to what that aspect is like. But I know folks who work there and I like their ethos.

$396.50 for SuperWorld.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: NZ E, EY G, QF G
Have been using 1Cover for a few years ...

http://www.1cover.co.nz/travelinsura...insurance.html

Includes domestic cover and also rental car excess.

$339/year

Have a 10% off promo link. Just PM me if interested.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I realise this isn't really a question about Air NZ per se, but obviously there are lots of people here from NZ so I figured it's probably the best place to post it.

Does anybody have any recommendations for yearly domestic and international travel policies from NZ insurance companies? It's not something I'd ever looked into, but with the amount of traveling I've done this year, and plan to do next year it's something I'm keen to look into.. Especially when (touch wood) I've never had a single thing ever go wrong when traveling, which statistically means the odds of something going wrong are increasing significantly!

As I've ended up with quite a few rental cars in the past year, something that's got a generous policy in regards to this would be good.
I'm on my second year of annual domestic/international insurance with Travel Insurance Direct. Cheaper than 1Cover. I started using TID for 2-3 week domestic trips when rental cars were involved. I've gone into some detail on this in the thread concerning Amex credit cards.

My last annual policy for my wife and I was $440 NZD with the no excess option checked. It gives us domestic and international travel insurance. I've made two claims in the last two years; both went flawlessly. One was a broken drink bottle in a back pack nailing an Apple magsafe charger and iPhone; the other was unraveling non-refundable costs incurred with a trip to Japan that involved bullet trains, phone SIM rentals, ANZ global saver cancellation costs, etc. I've more than saved the premium cost from not paying rental car excess reduction fees. I have no affiliation with any insurance company. The credit card insurance is not up to scratch IMHO, and if we had relied on the Kiwibank Platinum for the recent issue [my father's passing], we'd had got nowhere as HE was over 75!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Why not just use your credit cards insurance? The excess if claiming is not that significant and in my experience have settled claims promptly.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
Why not just use your credit cards insurance? The excess if claiming is not that significant and in my experience have settled claims promptly.
I have been relying on my card insurance, and have no issues with that policy with the exception of one major fault.

AIG (who ANZ use) impose a really draconian policy in their conditions:

"As part of the hiring arrangement you must take
up all comprehensive motor insurance or waivers
offered by the rental organisation, whether
discretionary or mandatory, against loss or damage
to the rental vehicle during the rental period."

Basically unless you take out any insurance offered you're not covered by AIG. Once you take out insurance most rental companies then have no excess, so AIG are effectively wiping their hands and not offering any rental car cover at all as there is nothing for them to pay if you've got insurance with the car company and no excess. I've yet to come across any rental car company that doesn't offer comprehensive insurance as an option so the ANZ/AIG policy is pretty much worthless for car rentals.

I've taken this out on a few occasions for some long duration hires, and that combined with the fact I'm not covered for any domestic travel with the ANZ policy means I'm better off looking for a more comprehensive policy which I'm happy to pay for.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Bump.

I didn't end up opting for an annual policy, but am looking at it for this year. Domestic cover is important so that rules out Southern Cross.

Does anybody have any other comments to add about 1cover? They look to be a good option.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
The only credit card that offers domestic travel insurance is AMEX I believe. Rest only applies to international travel
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Bump.

I didn't end up opting for an annual policy, but am looking at it for this year. Domestic cover is important so that rules out Southern Cross.

Does anybody have any other comments to add about 1cover? They look to be a good option.
I have used 1cover for a few years now on the global policy for my wife and I and our family. We have taken two separate policies as we often travel separately, and the kids are listed on both our policies (for free).

I have had two medical related claims with the kids and both were handled very well. one was a year and a half ago we had to delay our return home due to our daughter getting sick, they covered all medical costs, flight changes for the whole family,accommodation, rental car etc. it came to quite a few thousand dollars and all reimbursed no problem.

Recently in Thailand our youngest toddler had to spend a day in hospital, again all covered, and they have a very good global assist helpline with nurses etc. that is handled out of Australia, they have followed up to make sure he is OK, etc. For their medical cover at least, i can vouch for them 100%.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Bump.

are you a company or private (leisure travel)?

Last edited by Sam_87; Jan 17, 2016 at 3:46 pm
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: NZ*G
I have been relying on my card insurance, and have no issues with that policy with the exception of one major fault.

AIG (who ANZ use) impose a really draconian policy in their conditions:

"As part of the hiring arrangement you must take
up all comprehensive motor insurance or waivers
offered by the rental organisation, whether
discretionary or mandatory, against loss or damage
to the rental vehicle during the rental period."

Basically unless you take out any insurance offered you're not covered by AIG. Once you take out insurance most rental companies then have no excess, so AIG are effectively wiping their hands and not offering any rental car cover at all as there is nothing for them to pay if you've got insurance with the car company and no excess. I've yet to come across any rental car company that doesn't offer comprehensive insurance as an option so the ANZ/AIG policy is pretty much worthless for car rentals.

I've taken this out on a few occasions for some long duration hires, and that combined with the fact I'm not covered for any domestic travel with the ANZ policy means I'm better off looking for a more comprehensive policy which I'm happy to pay for.
AIG do offer domestic (internal) days through the broker channel, you just have to declare them and they are charged for, they are cheaper than international travel.

I don't follow your rental car issue... I have not ever seen a travel policy cover insurance for rental vehicles, nor would any want too, it's a real unknown. Travel policies provide a excess buy down benefit, so if you are stuck with a $1,000 excess for an incident your travel policy will cover it. You should always take the insurance offer from the rental company, always.

Somer commercial motor insurance policies provide automatic cover for rented vehicles where the insurance is not taken up, but that's only within NZ.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam_87
I don't follow your rental car issue... I have not ever seen a travel policy cover insurance for rental vehicles, nor would any want too, it's a real unknown. Travel policies provide a excess buy down benefit, so if you are stuck with a $1,000 excess for an incident your travel policy will cover it. You should always take the insurance offer from the rental company, always.

Somer commercial motor insurance policies provide automatic cover for rented vehicles where the insurance is not taken up, but that's only within NZ.
I'm referring to the standard rental excess, not full cover.

AIG's policy makes it clear they won't provide cover for the standard rental excess IF the rental company offers an option for excess reduction or full excess buyout. As the vast majority of companies offer this it means you could never claim for the excess under the AIG policy because you wouldn't have one because you'd be covered under the rental excess buyout.

In the case of excess reduction my experience is that most bring this down to around $200 so if you're not going to claim and pay a $200 excess on your AIG policy to cover a $200 rental excess!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.