FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yearly travel insurance
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:09 pm
paintini

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I realise this isn't really a question about Air NZ per se, but obviously there are lots of people here from NZ so I figured it's probably the best place to post it.

Does anybody have any recommendations for yearly domestic and international travel policies from NZ insurance companies? It's not something I'd ever looked into, but with the amount of traveling I've done this year, and plan to do next year it's something I'm keen to look into.. Especially when (touch wood) I've never had a single thing ever go wrong when traveling, which statistically means the odds of something going wrong are increasing significantly!

As I've ended up with quite a few rental cars in the past year, something that's got a generous policy in regards to this would be good.
I'm on my second year of annual domestic/international insurance with Travel Insurance Direct. Cheaper than 1Cover. I started using TID for 2-3 week domestic trips when rental cars were involved. I've gone into some detail on this in the thread concerning Amex credit cards.

My last annual policy for my wife and I was $440 NZD with the no excess option checked. It gives us domestic and international travel insurance. I've made two claims in the last two years; both went flawlessly. One was a broken drink bottle in a back pack nailing an Apple magsafe charger and iPhone; the other was unraveling non-refundable costs incurred with a trip to Japan that involved bullet trains, phone SIM rentals, ANZ global saver cancellation costs, etc. I've more than saved the premium cost from not paying rental car excess reduction fees. I have no affiliation with any insurance company. The credit card insurance is not up to scratch IMHO, and if we had relied on the Kiwibank Platinum for the recent issue [my father's passing], we'd had got nowhere as HE was over 75!