FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yearly travel insurance
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:55 am
sbiddle

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
Why not just use your credit cards insurance? The excess if claiming is not that significant and in my experience have settled claims promptly.
I have been relying on my card insurance, and have no issues with that policy with the exception of one major fault.

AIG (who ANZ use) impose a really draconian policy in their conditions:

"As part of the hiring arrangement you must take
up all comprehensive motor insurance or waivers
offered by the rental organisation, whether
discretionary or mandatory, against loss or damage
to the rental vehicle during the rental period."

Basically unless you take out any insurance offered you're not covered by AIG. Once you take out insurance most rental companies then have no excess, so AIG are effectively wiping their hands and not offering any rental car cover at all as there is nothing for them to pay if you've got insurance with the car company and no excess. I've yet to come across any rental car company that doesn't offer comprehensive insurance as an option so the ANZ/AIG policy is pretty much worthless for car rentals.

I've taken this out on a few occasions for some long duration hires, and that combined with the fact I'm not covered for any domestic travel with the ANZ policy means I'm better off looking for a more comprehensive policy which I'm happy to pay for.