Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kamadan
When 772/77E/77W/789 operates the TT segment, they won't carry the bedding (mattress top) on the flight, thus rendering half the feature of the lie flat seat/bed rather useless.

If you are unfamiliar with NZ's Business Premier product, you "flip over" the upright part of the seat to create the flat surface, but you'd need the mattress top to make it comfortable/work as a bed.
I have to say, I think this is a pretty unfair description of the hard product. We all happily used the BP beds for years without the extra mattress toppers, which were only introduced around the time of the 77W if memory serves. It's still a firm but comfortable bed without the toppers (noticeably more comfortable than, say, the equivalent Air Canada Executive First pod, which is firmer still and never fitted with a mattress pad), just not nearly as plush. If you're tired enough, you could absolutely still sleep like a baby on that flat bed if you're tired from your long haul.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by mad_atta
I have to say, I think this is a pretty unfair description of the hard product. We all happily used the BP beds for years without the extra mattress toppers, which were only introduced around the time of the 77W if memory serves. It's still a firm but comfortable bed without the toppers (noticeably more comfortable than, say, the equivalent Air Canada Executive First pod, which is firmer still and never fitted with a mattress pad), just not nearly as plush. If you're tired enough, you could absolutely still sleep like a baby on that flat bed if you're tired from your long haul.
I actually did this, and yes you can certainly nap.

However, it isn't the mattress topper that mattered the most, but rather the lack of a proper pillow and duvet (not the small "rest your elbow" one). I lay there in clothes and napped, but it was nothing like a short version of a long haul flight. Given there is no halfway house between bed and seated position (the reclined seat is like a premium economy recline effectively), it is a bit of a choice to flip over the seat and have a flat surface.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:43 pm

AKL to LAX

Looking at AKL to LAX on 5/5 PE -> J on 773 for 2 people

Expert Flyer is showing 30 J seats available, which is odd because there are only 12 available for the prior day.

Any thoughts on what to bid? I've never done this. No status on NZ.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by js1999
Looking at AKL to LAX on 5/5 PE -> J on 773 for 2 people

Expert Flyer is showing 30 J seats available, which is odd because there are only 12 available for the prior day.

Any thoughts on what to bid? I've never done this. No status on NZ.
There's a thread on this: OneUp Results Summary, although it hasn't been updated in well over a year.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:40 pm

HKG AKL NZ 80 Wednesday
PE->J no status
US$450 accepted a week out, low/weak bid.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by js1999
I presume you mean there are 30 unalocated seats.

What does E/F show for the fare bucket availability?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:41 pm

Hi all,

New here and just wanted to add my experiences to the list.

LAX - AKL, economy to premium: $405 USD, rejected. Don't remember the number of seats that were shown as available.

AKL - LAX, same: $310 bid, as I saw at least 10 seats were still available. Rejected. A day later, and it's still showing 10 seats available when going through the purchase process. I don't really understand how this system works at all, but then, I've never quite understood how anything works with airlines. Maybe this site will help with that.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
10 seats free means very little on an AKL to LAX flight. It's one of the busiest Air NZ routes for premium cabins. A large % of flights end up with no seats free in those cabins due to a lot of RU and standby upgrades that all take priority over a OneUp.

There would be plenty of flights where no OneUps are ever given.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
NZ180 27/4 6:50 SYD->AKL, Economy -> Business.
Not a One-Up but went up via Gold RU

Business was only about 60% full with lots of single sets left and Economy was about 90% full.

If someone had bid say $10 to go from economy -> business would someone have got upgraded or is there a minimum price you have to one-up ?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: NZ*S
There is a minimum price on the slider, from memory its about NZD$150 for a trans-tasman. As for whether there is a minimum bid that will be accepted, nobody knows for sure.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Craig Whitmore
NZ180 27/4 6:50 SYD->AKL, Economy -> Business.
Not a One-Up but went up via Gold RU

Business was only about 60% full with lots of single sets left and Economy was about 90% full.

If someone had bid say $10 to go from economy -> business would someone have got upgraded or is there a minimum price you have to one-up ?
NZ108? and I assume you were successful?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
Originally Posted by brenrox
NZ108? and I assume you were successful?
NZ108 yes. I got the RU
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
There is a minimum price on the slider, from memory its about NZD$150 for a trans-tasman. As for whether there is a minimum bid that will be accepted, nobody knows for sure.
I think it's pretty safe to conclude (and I've only seen a few examples on here where the figure may be less) than the GE standby upgrade price is effectively a minimum price - and also factor the upweight into this to achieve that price.

I'd suggest the chances of a $10 big being cleared are virtually zero.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
I just tired on an AKL-MEL $200 was the minimum, yet $225 moved you to just above average.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I just tired on an AKL-MEL $200 was the minimum, yet $225 moved you to just above average.
Its been a while since I looked, so maybe the minimum bid has been increased. Sounds people are throwing in a minimum bid just to try their luck. would be good to know if any of these minimum bids succeed on less busy flights.

Is it worth spending $50-60/hour? Seeing as you are already Koru, you have lounge access, priority checkin/boarding and extra baggage already. So what are you really getting for that money?

As someone currently without status or KC I look at that, and think 2 x trans tasman one-ups would pay for a year of Koru club membership (with the platinum card discounted prices) which seems like a better deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.