Wiki Posts
Search

Shocking service in YEG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Shocking service in YEG

I was leaving YEG last night for YVR.

I had purchased the ticket some time ago and had notice that if you wanted to select a seat you had to pay another $17 each way, as the flight is short and the plane CRJ as they say "you can't polish a turd" so i did not bother, i would just get what ever seat they gave.

Checked in, and shock horror, the flight is oversold and i am on the bump list, why me, because i did not buy the seat selection.
I had the supervisor in and she said " buying a ticket does not get you a seat, selecting the seat and paying 17 bucks does".

I explained that i had another flight the following day in paid J to NRT, and needed to be back this night, she did not care and said, " you know why don't you call robert milton and ask him".

I was getting to the end of my rope by now and left before it got ugly, i went to westjet and brought a OW ticket to YVR fully refundable for 30mins later.

Went back to the AC gate to see 9 yes 9 dead heads boarding the flight !!!!.

......s i thought.....10 mins later I got a boarding pass, called WJ got the refund sort and boarded.

Well thats me done with AC, bunch of tossers.

I know i'm gonna get blasted but hell, I paid for a ticket i wanted to be on before crew, the check lass and the supervisor would have known the DH were on the flight at the time I checked in.

why put me through all the stress and BS to get a seat.

more choice then ever now to fly and everyone is picking up they game, open skies i welcome.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
hopefully you (and many others) end up sticking to their word, and your next paid J to NRT will not be with AC, maybe if there is enough of you, someone will take notice....
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE
No need to pay for the a seat in this case.

Just be sure to check in online for the flight as soon as possible. You can check in via aircanada.ca or even on your mobile phone using mobile.aircanada.ca

By checking in before the crowd you are sure to get a seat and thus avoid being in a bumped situation.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Sorry to hear of your troubles OP. I posted here a while back in this thread about how AC was treating some of it's Tango pax, telling them they were in essence almost stand-by pax. However, I would've thought OP knew about the Tango no seat select foible.

And I'm guessing OP meant a WS fare that could be cancelled for their $40 fee as I didn't think any WS fare was fully refundable.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 14, 2008 at 2:55 pm
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ferrari

I doubt they were all if any deadheading, more likely they were commuting to Vancouver to go to work. If they truly were deadheading, then I think they can trump a paying pax for operational reasons. As a commuter they are on standby, paying pax come first.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
hopefully you (and many others) end up sticking to their word, and your next paid J to NRT will not be with AC, maybe if there is enough of you, someone will take notice....
I suspect not. The arrogance at the Montreal headquarters would not admit.

If business goes south, there is always someone else to blame (the recession, Westjet, the stupid customers), but not the know-it-alls themselves.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

If you make same day booking with Westjet and cancel no fees on full ticket, worth remembering if your on the AC "couldn't give a .... list"

They were dead heading as i sat next to an FA and she told me they were in from LHR and were on they way home.
I told her straight, they were gonna bump me to get you home and what a lousey airline, needless to say we did not speak the rest of the way.

I fly a lot less now then i use to and as such i don't really mind who i fly, i have no real afilation to an ff program, which make it easy, i go for service, something ac does not offer.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:28 pm

They were dead heading as i sat next to an FA and she told me they were in from LHR and were on they way home.
I told her straight, they were gonna bump me to get you home and what a lousey airline, needless to say we did not speak the rest of the way.
That is commuting as opposed to DH. E.g, DHing would be if her flight ended up in YYZ due to a mechanical, she would DH to YEG. She is flying as a pax for an operational reason. She chooses to live in the YVR area when her base is YEG, she commutes as a standby pax to get to work. Someone else can likely explain the difference better than I.
My point is that it makes it worse that they bumped you for commuters as opposed to DHers.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, Delta, SPG Gold, Priority Club
Originally Posted by taupo
That is commuting as opposed to DH. E.g, DHing would be if her flight ended up in YYZ due to a mechanical, she would DH to YEG. She is flying as a pax for an operational reason. She chooses to live in the YVR area when her base is YEG, she commutes as a standby pax to get to work. Someone else can likely explain the difference better than I.
My point is that it makes it worse that they bumped you for commuters as opposed to DHers.
Actually, there is no F/A base in YEG. They would have been a YVR-based crew, operating the LHR-YEG flight and deadheading back to their home base. As they are not deadheading AOG (aircraft on ground), they would not have bumped a revenue PAX. The agent may have known that there was a deadhead crew but not aware whether they were AOG or not and perhaps was cautious until knowing for sure.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:04 pm

I was leaving YEG last night for YVR.

I had purchased the ticket some time ago and had notice that if you wanted to select a seat you had to pay another $17 each way, as the flight is short and the plane CRJ as they say "you can't polish a turd" so i did not bother, i would just get what ever seat they gave.

Checked in, and shock horror, the flight is oversold and i am on the bump list, why me, because i did not buy the seat selection.
I had the supervisor in and she said " buying a ticket does not get you a seat, selecting the seat and paying 17 bucks does".

I explained that i had another flight the following day in paid J to NRT, and needed to be back this night, she did not care and said, " you know why don't you call robert milton and ask him".

I was getting to the end of my rope by now and left before it got ugly, i went to westjet and brought a OW ticket to YVR fully refundable for 30mins later.

......s i thought.....10 mins later I got a boarding pass, called WJ got the refund sort and boarded.

Well thats me done with AC, bunch of tossers.

I know i'm gonna get blasted but hell, I paid for a ticket i wanted to be on before crew, the check lass and the supervisor would have known the DH were on the flight at the time I checked in.

why put me through all the stress and BS to get a seat.

more choice then ever now to fly and everyone is picking up they game, open skies i welcome.
i think i am more concerned about the "call Robert Milton" attitude than the being bumped. Being bumped, late, arriving before your baggage, etc. are all part of flying nowadays.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
If you make same day booking with Westjet and cancel no fees on full ticket, worth remembering if your on the AC "couldn't give a .... list"
Sorry but now same day WS cancellations are not fully refundable and will incur a fee:

Cancellations made on the same day of booking (defined as our hours of operation, which are subject to change) can be either placed in a WestJet Credit File (fare, fees, surcharges and taxes included), OR refunded minus a $20 CAD (plus tax) per booking cancellation fee.

http://c1dsp.westjet.com/guest/trave...91#faredetails
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by East-West AC
Actually, there is no F/A base in YEG. They would have been a YVR-based crew, operating the LHR-YEG flight and deadheading back to their home base. As they are not deadheading AOG (aircraft on ground), they would not have bumped a revenue PAX. The agent may have known that there was a deadhead crew but not aware whether they were AOG or not and perhaps was cautious until knowing for sure.

I stand corrected.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
This does not pass the sniff test.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by East-West AC
The agent may have known that there was a deadhead crew but not aware whether they were AOG or not and perhaps was cautious until knowing for sure.
Or simply didn't give a damn. Nah, that couldn't be it
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
All worked out in the end obviously.

You should have checked-in online the day before - especially on a Tango fare. If you had, you would have picked a seat and had your check-in time recorded. That is why you were in danger of bump - not the fact you didn't pay to reserve a seat.

Another thing that might have reduced the bump risk would have been to have the NRT leg on the same pnr. If they had seen that, I doubt a bump would have been considered.

You should have got that childish little girl's name to report that attitude and the "Milton" comment. She needs to find a job she is capable of doing. This one is not a good fit.

Last edited by YVR72; Apr 16, 2008 at 11:17 am Reason: to be less mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.