Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC GA's at YYZ telling Tango pax they're standy-by

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

Had lunch today with a colleague who mentioned in passing her family was on AC from YYZ recently during the Spring Break period and were told by AC GA that since they were travelling on Tango fares they were for all intents and purposes considered as standy-by pax. It was no real surprise to this TA that the flights around that time of year would be full if not oversold so they made it a point to check in 2 hours early so they could avoid being bump candidates. The GA also added that the only way to avoid it happening again was by paying T+ prices.

The story stuck with me, so called AC TA helpdesk and the agent said that's not the way it is and the staff shouldn't have indicated that it was. I can appreciate, BTW, that a Tango pax checking in 2 hours early should be less likely to be bumped than a Tango pax checking in 1 hour early and that a T+ pax with confirmed seats would/should have a smaller chance of being bumped than either Tango pax provided they check in early enough, but telling Tango pax they're essentially a stand-by didn't seem right.

So my question is have others here heard the same spin at YYZ? Is this a YYZ only thing or has anyone heard it elsewhere? To be fair, since the change to Tango/Tango + this was the first case that I'd heard of something like this happening.

Just curious...
Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:34 pm

No, I haven't but Tango without pre-assigned seat certainly risks a higher probability of being bumped. Arriving 2 hours before flight time could still mean behind many passengers who have web checked in up to 12 hours earlier. If they were not using the kiosk at the airport, many could have jumped ahead while they were in the queue. I suspect what the YYZ GA meant was that they had no pre-assigned seat, the flight was oversold and all the seats are gone. They had to "stand by" to see if any with pre-assigned seat would no show. Nevertheless, may worth a note to Customer Solutions for clarification.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:56 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Someone should post the order in which bumps should be done, kinda like what was done in the UA forum. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...05&postcount=2)

I think it should be done by what was defined by the YYZ GA in this case: revenue. Tangos at the bottom, then tango+, then lat, then lat+, executive, etc, but frequent flyers at the top regardless (IMO) Based on revenue, not who shows up first. Then they should leave the option open for a tango+ to give up a seat so a tango can go home.

Oversells happen. It's life.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:30 pm
At Large

This is just more TA bad mouthing since they get no commissions from AC
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by parnel
Who's doing the bad mouthing? I think everyone here already knows the answer to that question...
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by cur
I think it should be done by what was defined by the YYZ GA in this case: revenue. Tangos at the bottom, then tango+, then lat, then lat+, executive, etc, but frequent flyers at the top regardless (IMO) Based on revenue, not who shows up first. Then they should leave the option open for a tango+ to give up a seat so a tango can go home.
I would agree that if AC can't find volunteers, they should bump based on fare/late check-in (-30 minutes).

It does seem, though, that the paltry compensation paid for domestic bumps ($200 MCO, even for overnights, IIRC) sometimes isn't enough to solicit volunteers. Sure, AC will overbook flights, but IMO they should - having made a good-faith agreement between themselves and a passenger for travel on a specific flight at a specific time - do a little more to ensure that they don't have to involuntarily bump anyone, even if that means increasing their compensation levels.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA
I will comment with this :

That's a violation of the TOS here....I suggest you edit it or it will get reported.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:01 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I would agree that if AC can't find volunteers, they should bump based on fare/late check-in (-30 minutes).

It does seem, though, that the paltry compensation paid for domestic bumps ($200 MCO, even for overnights, IIRC) sometimes isn't enough to solicit volunteers. Sure, AC will overbook flights, but IMO they should - having made a good-faith agreement between themselves and a passenger for travel on a specific flight at a specific time - do a little more to ensure that they don't have to involuntarily bump anyone, even if that means increasing their compensation levels.
It's more than $200, I got $400 for YYC-YYZ 1100hrs flight, moved to the 1200hrs.

But you make a good point, it should be a FAIR amount. A hotel for an overnight, for example (unless you live in the origin airport, then they should pay for your parking)
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Fiumicino
I will comment with this :
That's a violation of the TOS here....I suggest you edit it or it will get reported
Originally Posted by parnelThis is just more TA bad mouthing since they get no commissions from AC
Fiumicino,
The above TA quote is mild.You have not seen Parnel at his best. Stay tuned.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, tcook goes out of his way to piss all over AC...
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:21 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Fiumicino,
The above TA quote is mild.You have not seen Parnel at his best. Stay tuned.
Thanks, but no thanks... I have read very much enough since I participate on FT. The free bashing and propaganda is exasperating. One can hope that a seasoned flyer would post useful and community respectful comments here instead of consistently post stalking.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I suppose this is what goes with the territory, i.e. not having a pre-assigned seat. If a flight is oversold or near that point, the sooner a TANGO passenger checks in to get the unassigned seats, the surer they'll be to actually have a seat. This is a bit of triage at such times. But remember, TANGO passengers can preselect their seats for $10 each way, so there is a two-tier situation here.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
... But remember, TANGO passengers can preselect their seats for $10 each way, so there is a two-tier situation here.
I would agree.I also believe that that is where the problem is.If no pre-assigned seat,stand-by is where you are.

I was travelling earlier this year and met a business friend coming to YSB.She had a Tango fare and the flight was over-sold.She did not make the flight.
This may have been a situation to which the OP refers.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:17 am

She was offered DBC, I hope? Do you know how hard AC tried to solicit volunteers?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
The GA also added that the only way to avoid it happening again was by paying T+ prices.
The GA was clearly mistaken as flying WS is obviously another option not to get bumbed I don't have a huge prblem with some oversell as long as they offer enough not to have involuntary bumps, at least in most cases. I think $200 MCO is sometimes offered and in no circumstances would I find this acceptable. Often bumped pax become standbys and can wait a number of flights before getting onto one. I do not know why AC is not more generous with this since an involuntary bump is a very bad move and can destroy a relationship with a customer.

PS Shareholder, Tango seat assignments are $15 not $10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.