Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shocking service in YEG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:48 am

As a rule, it might be a good idea for people on this or other forums where you post to always give a date and flight number when you have something to complain about. If there are specifics attached to the situation, it is more likely that the AC lurkers will make note of these situations because they can figure out which employees were involved. Without a date, flight number and gate number if it is an airport matter, a post here is just venting and won't change a thing. With specifics that make the matter traceable, action may be taken, if not on your specific complaint, then on an accumulation of events involving particular situations or personnel.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC/E
Originally Posted by zorn
This does not pass the sniff test.
I wonder what was said to the AC agent to provoke the robert milton response. Bad service is like an argument -- it takes two.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:07 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by sbae
I wonder what was said to the AC agent to provoke the robert milton response. Bad service is like an argument -- it takes two.
Perhaps that the passenger, holding a confirmed reservation on the flight, was trying to secure a seat, using the legitimate point that they were connecting to a AC flight in J. While the agent has to bump someone, these points should be brought to thier attention. Sometimes the agents let into you... Like in New York, the UA agents have the 'I won't do it, because you can't make me' attitude.

or perhaps it's shame on the OP for wanting to board the flight he was confirmed on? I think not.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I agree, the flight was on April the 13th YEG-YVR Flight number AC 8291.

The Milton comment came when i noticed that only 39 of the 50 had checked in, I asked if i could be confirmed and someone else be put on the list, she said she could not do that, i then asked if she could call the route controller in montreal.
Thats when it came, its was not an argument, its was a calm discussion.
I was asking questions about how i remembered it working.

As for checking in the day before, i tried this but could not get a seat assignment then, the cabin showed full, I didn't think anything was wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
or perhaps it's shame on the OP for wanting to board the flight he was confirmed on? I think not.
Confirmed yes but without seat selection.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Ferrari
I agree, the flight was on April the 13th YEG-YVR Flight number AC 8291.

The Milton comment came when i noticed that only 39 of the 50 had checked in, I asked if i could be confirmed and someone else be put on the list, she said she could not do that, i then asked if she could call the route controller in montreal.
Thats when it came, its was not an argument, its was a calm discussion.
I was asking questions about how i remembered it working.

As for checking in the day before, i tried this but could not get a seat assignment then, the cabin showed full, I didn't think anything was wrong.
I believe you! There are some bad apples out there. For some reason certain gate agents just really enjoy the power trip of holding your flight plans in their hands. I've had two agents talk about me while standing in front of them at the counter waiting while one tapped away seemingly aimlessly at the keyboard trying to do something as complex as moving me onto an earlier flight. It seems like the gate agent service process works like this: You make a request. They tell you no it can't be done (flight closed, no space etc) and then they start typing away. You then wait 3-4 mins while they talk about you and your fare class and changes rules (or anything else) with the other agent. Sometimes they hand you a boarding pass. Sometimes not. In my experience this happens to me often in YYZ. To be fair YYZ is also a place that I tend to try to make changes at the gate.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:58 pm

i then asked if she could call the route controller in montreal.
that could be it....
no one likes the quality of the job they are doing questioned...even if it was subpar.

While I have not hidden that I don't think what happened to you is such an odd thing, I do believe the way in which the gate agent presented herself is an issue. But like someone else said...it takes two to tango and clearly you tango'd.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by zorn
This does not pass the sniff test.
Look at ferrari's join date to FT before you pass judgment.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:20 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
No wonder she dislikes Milton.

I'll sure he and Brewer will be really receptive to your concern (as he counts his millions).

The Globe and Mail reports in its Wednesday edition that Montie Brewer, Air Canada's president and chief executive officer, collected $8.19-million in compensation last year, bolstered by stock option gains in the airline's parent company. The Globe's Brent Jang writes that Mr. Brewer's 2007 remuneration included a $606,000 salary and $690,543 bonus from Air Canada, and $6.86-million in ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. option gains. The information was disclosed in the airline's proxy circular released Tuesday. His pay packet totalled $2.29-million in 2006, when he had $832,572 in ACE option gains. Air Canada chief operating officer Robert Reid's pay package last year totalled $3.76-million, including $3.16-million in ACE option gains
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But then why would anyone want to fly to/from Red Deer North in the first place?

Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
But then why would anyone want to fly to/from Red Deer North in the first place?

It's where all the real work gets done.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:14 pm

Well if AC was forced to pay up to $800 for bumping passengers which is currently being introduced in US, I'm sure they would change their current "business model".

US Dept. Of Transportation yesterday unveiled initiatives it promised would "strengthen passenger protections, improve consumer choice and reduce congestion," including doubling the maximum compensation owed to passengers bumped from oversold flights and its intention to auction off slots at New York LaGuardia.

Under the new rule effective next month, passengers bumped involuntarily will be owed a maximum of $400 if they are rescheduled on a flight that will arrive at their destination within 2 hr. domestically or 4 hr. internationally or up to $800 if they are not. Payments will depend on the ticket price and length of delay and will be in addition to the value of the ticket. The rule will be extended to aircraft seating 30 or more, having previously been restricted to those seating 60 or more.

http://atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=12433

Last edited by imverge; Apr 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm Reason: link
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:14 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I was leaving YEG last night for YVR.

I had purchased the ticket some time ago and had notice that if you wanted to select a seat you had to pay another $17 each way, as the flight is short and the plane CRJ as they say "you can't polish a turd" so i did not bother, i would just get what ever seat they gave.

Checked in, and shock horror, the flight is oversold and i am on the bump list, why me, because i did not buy the seat selection.
I had the supervisor in and she said " buying a ticket does not get you a seat, selecting the seat and paying 17 bucks does".

I explained that i had another flight the following day in paid J to NRT, and needed to be back this night, she did not care and said, " you know why don't you call robert milton and ask him".

I was getting to the end of my rope by now and left before it got ugly, i went to westjet and brought a OW ticket to YVR fully refundable for 30mins later.

Went back to the AC gate to see 9 yes 9 dead heads boarding the flight !!!!.

......s i thought.....10 mins later I got a boarding pass, called WJ got the refund sort and boarded.

Well thats me done with AC, bunch of tossers.

I know i'm gonna get blasted but hell, I paid for a ticket i wanted to be on before crew, the check lass and the supervisor would have known the DH were on the flight at the time I checked in.

why put me through all the stress and BS to get a seat.

more choice then ever now to fly and everyone is picking up they game, open skies i welcome.
Your complaint about the deadheads is 199% irrelevant because you made the flight. If you didn't make it and you saw the deadheads, then you'd have a case. This is like complaining about an overly obese person taking up your space on a flight where there are 3 full wide open rows for you to take.

By your melodrama about how hard done by you were by being assigned a STBY boarding pass, it sounds to me that you were stressing yourself out.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:34 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
Confirmed yes but without seat selection.
I don't understand your point. The OP was CONFIRMED on the flight.

You can have a seat assignment and not be confirmed. In fact, you can have a seat assignment without being ticketed.

The part that the airline assumes responsibility is after they've confirmed you, not given you a seat.

Many, many, many airlines do not offer advance seat assignments at all in economy. Some don't offer advance assignments in any cabin.

If AC wants to make all Tango fares standby, that's a different story. Until then, they've CONFIRMED him.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did a quick check to see flight prices in full J YEG/NAR via YVR in May(8 day stay) approx.9877.00 all in.
Looked at YVR/NAR on same dates and costs were approx.9850.00 al in.

IMO,for $27.00 a full J ex YEG would be less than adding a Tango fare on and would allow a stopover in YVR.

Just my way of looking at it,or am I missing something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.