Wiki Posts
Search

Shocking service in YEG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I don't understand your point. The OP was CONFIRMED on the flight.

You can have a seat assignment and not be confirmed. In fact, you can have a seat assignment without being ticketed.

The part that the airline assumes responsibility is after they've confirmed you, not given you a seat.

Many, many, many airlines do not offer advance seat assignments at all in economy. Some don't offer advance assignments in any cabin.

If AC wants to make all Tango fares standby, that's a different story. Until then, they've CONFIRMED him.
Not everyone who is CONFIRMED actually gets on a flight and there is no iron-clad airline guarantee that every CONFIRMED ticket holder will board their ticketed flight due to OVERSELLING. Having seat assignment simply IMPROVES your chances of NOT being one of those considered for bumping.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:02 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by acysb87
Just my way of looking at it,or am I missing something.
Perhaps YVR was already a stopover on another completely separate itinerary?

Anyway, everything really did work as it should have, with one big exception.

- a "commuter" flight was oversold for the umpteenth time
- the OP was the lowest priority to get a seat assignment, and that's happened
- the OP had the smarts to book a backup option and shared that idea with us
- but the OP got on the AC flight anyway, because the oversell software worked for him

What didn't work is that some agent seemed a be a prat about the whole thing.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
AC abuses overselling. We need regulation like in the USA to stop them from playing fast and loose with passengers' contractual rights. To offer $200 voucher for VDB is a joke. It does not sufficiently encourage voluntary assistance and as such IDBs are more likely and then only subject to the same $200 voucher. Westjet does not oversell so you will not have an issue there unless there is a rare error or a/c swap.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
It's where all the real work gets done.
But haven't the spin doctors won anyway? So who cares about real work?

Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Not everyone who is CONFIRMED actually gets on a flight and there is no iron-clad airline guarantee that every CONFIRMED ticket holder will board their ticketed flight due to OVERSELLING. Having seat assignment simply IMPROVES your chances of NOT being one of those considered for bumping.
"That's the most important part of a reservation, the holding." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeHG-8rfqKM
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by cur
Your complaint about the deadheads is 199% irrelevant because you made the flight. If you didn't make it and you saw the deadheads, then you'd have a case. This is like complaining about an overly obese person taking up your space on a flight where there are 3 full wide open rows for you to take.

By your melodrama about how hard done by you were by being assigned a STBY boarding pass, it sounds to me that you were stressing yourself out.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by zorn
Perhaps YVR was already a stopover on another completely separate itinerary?

Anyway, everything really did work as it should have, with one big exception.

- a "commuter" flight was oversold for the umpteenth time
- the OP was the lowest priority to get a seat assignment, and that's happened
- the OP had the smarts to book a backup option and shared that idea with us
- but the OP got on the AC flight anyway, because the oversell software worked for him

What didn't work is that some agent seemed a be a prat about the whole thing.

yes, but why would you book a trip like that on two seperate PNRs?

And for the person who mentioned that AC abuses oversell....I have NEVER been bumped on AC.....
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by tyassine
And for the person who mentioned that AC abuses oversell....I have NEVER been bumped on AC.....
If you bother to read my post, assuming you meant me, you'll note I never used the term "abuses". While I know you are new here it isn't proper IMHO to misquote or misstate what another poster has said. Also, just because you've never been bumped doesn't mean it never happens.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If you bother to read my post, assuming you meant me, you'll note I never used the term "abuses". .
He meant me. I have seen it on a few occasions and it is not pretty. There should almost never be a reason to forcefully bump someone. $200 voucher is not enough incentive to avoid having to resort to IDB. UA offers up to $600 and that is IMHO reasonable.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
He meant me. I have seen it on a few occasions and it is not pretty. There should almost never be a reason to forcefully bump someone. $200 voucher is not enough incentive to avoid having to resort to IDB. UA offers up to $600 and that is IMHO reasonable.
I agree that when it happens the $200 is not enough.....Southwest does $200 in cash and a free ticket to anywhere they fly.

Keep in mind that UA is forced to by government regulations....no such regulations exist in Canada.

Last edited by joejohns1983; Apr 17, 2008 at 1:55 pm Reason: typo.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:39 pm

He meant me.
Then my apologies for misinterpreting tyassine post.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
I used to take the DEN-YEG UA flight all the time and they were always looking for volunteers because they fly an RJ and in the fall, piles of outdoorsman with duffles full of gear and guns come up for some good 'ol hunting.

I never volunteered until one time with then-future-wife was accompanying me on a work trip, again they asked for volunteers. I looked at her and said, I don't mind chilling in an airport for 3 extra hours with YOU, let's see what they offer.

Altaflyer hit it bang on. We said we would consider taking the next flight and we were immediately offered $600 bucks EACH. We were able to apply both to a single ticket for me...which was then parlayed into contributing $1200 towards my ticket to join her in OZ for her epic adventure that she had been planning since before we met. Those 3 hours turned into good value!

She doesn't know this, but when she asked me to join her on her trip to OZ, that's when I knew she was the girl I was going to marry! But that's a whole 'nother story.

I get the feeling that AC tries to take advantage of most travellers ignorance of the rules and tariffs. I think that should change.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:43 pm

On two different occasions, I've also seen AC has IDB (presumably Tango) pax without first making an announcement asking for volunteers. I'm not sure if there are regulations against that, but there should be.

If they indeed received a $200 VDB coupon, I don't think that's sufficient for an IDB.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Good service in YEG

In defence of YEG...

We showed up at 4:30 today at the Exec check-in with cheap Tango tickets to YYC on the ~7pm flight. Who was in front of us but a friend of ours (works in the same field).

At one check-in desk my colleague and I asked about getting an earlier flight. They put us on standby for the ~6:00 flight despite being on a Tango fare.

At the other check-in desk there were two agents fighting with the computer trying to massage our friend's original pass booking on the redeye back to YYZ to the 5:50 flight so he could get home early.

When we entered the lounge the attendant noticed our standby status and offered to hold our boarding passes until the 6:00 flight closed to see if we made it on.

We never saw our friend in the lounge, so he obviously got on the 5:50. And we got to YYC an hour earlier than we had booked and paid for, without so much as a hint of an unpleasant look from any AC employee along the way.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: IHG, starwood, BA,Etihad, AA, NWA
Originally Posted by sbae
I wonder what was said to the AC agent to provoke the robert milton response. Bad service is like an argument -- it takes two.

To those who know Ferrari from way back, they would understand his hyperoble. He knows how to get under peoples skin and not always with positive results. Edmonton staff are very friendly and usually quite polite, so I would take his current tirade with a grain of salt.

Pre checkin on a Tango fare is the simplest way to get around his situation and every airline I travel on has similar rules... no seat before checkin and you become an endangered species on full or oversold flights.

His full refund on WJA is legitimate as all airlines will give a full refund on tickets within 24 hours of purchase sometimes more if they work on zulu time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.