Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flying Business Class for FIRST time - What to know and do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are flying from YVR (Vancouver) to YYZ (Toronto) in June and I happened to have enough points to book Business Class on Aeroplan for 50,000 points + $150 in fees each, so I booked it.

Now this will be my girlfriend's very first time flying business class. I flew business class once when I was 16, but I don't think I appreciated it at all.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any tips or things to note while on our journey. My girlfriend is honestly so excited about this, it is the most adorable thing.

Due to time we booked, we were unfortunately only booked with the 320 air bus... BUT, we got a change of schedule and we are flying the 77L on our way back (yyz-yvr).

So we get to experience the PODS!!! Again, she got so excited again and was just so happy. It was actually really cute to see.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you fine people had any tips or suggestions to really make this flight memorable for her.

Thanks so much!!!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by jellytime
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are flying from YVR (Vancouver) to YYZ (Toronto) in June and I happened to have enough points to book Business Class on Aeroplan for 50,000 points + $150 in fees each, so I booked it.

Now this will be my girlfriend's very first time flying business class. I flew business class once when I was 16, but I don't think I appreciated it at all.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any tips or things to note while on our journey. My girlfriend is honestly so excited about this, it is the most adorable thing.

Due to time we booked, we were unfortunately only booked with the 320 air bus... BUT, we got a change of schedule and we are flying the 77L on our way back (yyz-yvr).

So we get to experience the PODS!!! Again, she got so excited again and was just so happy. It was actually really cute to see.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you fine people had any tips or suggestions to really make this flight memorable for her.

Thanks so much!!!

Sit back, relax and enjoy the flight
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:59 pm

Show up early and enjoy the MLLs? Make good use of all-you-can drink liquor? I know, any adult over 19 can go to the LCBO and buy the same liquors for cheap and drink them at home, but there's just a certain 'something' about self-serve liquor on someone else's dime!

At the end of the day, you're going to an airport, getting on an airplane, and 5 hours later, you'll be on the ground. Anything the in-flight staff can offer, they *will* offer. And unfortunately (unlike when I was 16), they don't do in-flight cockpit visits anymore.

Personally I would've tagged something else onto a YYZ-YVR J award flying-wise if you wanted to make a bit of a more substantial vacation out of it.

For instance, YYZ-YVR-SEA, SEA-YVR (stopover) - YYZ. Or any one of a gazillion other connections out of YVR allowable on a domestic reward. ie: YLW, YPR, YXY, YYJ, YCD for a day, etc. After all, you're redeeming the reward, so may as well maximize it.

If you wanna get creative, there are even lots of opportunities to connect with VIA Rail and take the train through the mountains, either the Edmonton to Vancouver route, or the Edmonton to Prince Rupert line -- something that everyone should try at least once in their lifetime. I'm personally doing that this summer on my way to Newfoundland with the family, all on the cheap ClassicFlight redemptions.

Last edited by pitz; Jan 13, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
If you like freshly baked cookies and gelato, be sure to save some room for dessert . Personally, this is my favourite part of the meal on this route (other than the alcohol!)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:42 pm

Just tell the FA or Service Director that you haven't experienced Air Canada's J product in years and you're excited. I'm sure they'll help you enjoy your 'stay.' And tell us about it too!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
What a romantic thread.

I'm actually excited for the op...take a picture and save it as a momento for you and your gf. It will be good to save that moment for later ;-)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I remember on my first time when the SD asked if she could hang my jacket for me. I shed a single tear and thought "I'm home"
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CanRulez
What a romantic thread.

I'm actually excited for the op...take a picture and save it as a momento for you and your gf. It will be good to save that moment for later ;-)
+1

I have the photo of my wife the first time she sat in a pod in business class. Love the look on her face. Almost a bit giggly. Whenever I get a bit jaded with flying that photo is great.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Old pods
http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...eport-yvr-nrt/

or Slaveship pods
http://upgrd.com/pursuedadventures/t...777-300er.html
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Wow, haven't heard of something like this forever....clearly way too jaded. I just got off SQ J, ANA Dreamliner J and now hitting AC4 (Dreamliner J). I feel little excitement.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:37 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by Dorian
Wow, haven't heard of something like this forever....clearly way too jaded. I just got off SQ J, ANA Dreamliner J and now hitting AC4 (Dreamliner J). I feel little excitement.
Differing degrees of jaded... I would still be excited about long-haul SQ J (though my last few times I've found the FAs too busy to really provide good personalised service and I don't get why they don't give out amenity kits) and trying out a new dreamliner, but probably not domestic J on AC. It's still great to hear the OP's story though.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:15 am

Did something similar for my GF years ago (JFK-YVR on CX), sit back, drink lots and enjoy the flight. The novelty will wear off eventually, but be careful as she just might get used to the good life and you'll be spending your next 75k on 1 J and 1 Y seat (one guess who sits in Y ;-)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: AC/EK
Just have fun!!! I'm happy you posted as your excitement reminds me of how I used to feel while flying.

Take advantage of the MLL for sure. Pint of Guinness and MLL cookies can improve my mood on even the worst of days!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: AC, SPG GOLD
My first time flying J, I took advantage of everything. It was a 14 hour flight so I had enough time to drink, eat, have a long nap lying flat, wake up and have breakfast.
Just enjoy what is available on board and take advantage of the lounges.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
my first time flying in J .. was a student. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit i filled my pockets with spare toothbrushes and razors from the lav. did i mention i was a starving student ? i've also flogged economy class blankets from several airlines in the dorm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.