Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flying Business Class for FIRST time - What to know and do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Business Class for FIRST time - What to know and do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by karachi
my first time flying in J .. was a student. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit i filled my pockets with spare toothbrushes and razors from the lav. did i mention i was a starving student ? i've also flogged economy class blankets from several airlines in the dorm
That next knock on your door now will be the RCMP Cold Case department
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:05 pm

I remember being so excited about flying in J, that I didn't even want to sleep. I'd stay awake the whole flight so I could squeeze every last moment out of it.

The novelty started to wear off after I started making more money, and would purchase J class tickets.
And now when I travel for business in J,all I can think about it "If I sleep, I can wake up at my destination so I can just land at XXXXX and get work done"
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS
Smile

Despite flying many business class flights, I still get reasonably excited especially for international travel (and the Dreamliner). I guess I'm not quite jaded yet.
As most said, definitely relax in the lounge beforehand, have a few drinks and enjoy some cookies and other food. Board right away with Zone 1, maybe even get a picture or two. Enjoy the free alcohol on board along with the meals. When I travel with my partner we sometimes watch the same movie together as well.
Once your partner experiences business class, it'll be hard to fly economy again, just a warning !
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Geoflying
That next knock on your door now will be the RCMP Cold Case department
I think we're all guilty of this to some extent. With me, I have a whole stack (>40) pairs of slippers from various Starwood hotels (asian tradition = slippers in the house, don't laugh ). I collect amenity kits (I think most of us do) and I have a whole ton of Westin body wash. Don't taze me bro!!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I think we're all guilty of this to some extent. With me, I have a whole stack (>40) pairs of slippers from various Starwood hotels (asian tradition = slippers in the house, don't laugh ). I collect amenity kits (I think most of us do) and I have a whole ton of Westin body wash. Don't taze me bro!!
to the body wash. My wife is always phoning on the last day for me to bring her the body wash and body lotion. If you collect amenity kits, you must fly Eva. All I can say is Rimowa, simply the best.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
to the body wash. My wife is always phoning on the last day for me to bring her the body wash and body lotion. If you collect amenity kits, you must fly Eva. All I can say is Rimowa, simply the best.
Im staring at the 4 I have from BR as I type this post. They are super awesome! Plus quality stuff inside, and the hand lotion smells like the plane. Since smell is the strongest sense...lots of happy memories
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Correct. Most of us do. I read an article reading that the hotel chains actually expect this to happen and consider it a compliment that their body wash, lotion, shampoo are being taken.

After all, what are they going to do with a half bottle of body wash

Exactly...throw it away.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Correct. Most of us do. I read an article reading that the hotel chains actually expect this to happen and consider it a compliment that their body wash, lotion, shampoo are being taken.

Exactly...throw it away.
Raiding the maids cart my not be expected.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:59 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Yeah, to the OP make sure to take advantage of all the services that come with a J-class ticket:

1) Use the Priority Check-In desk
2) Take advantage of the Maple Leaf Lounge at YVR domestic: eat some snacks, have a few drinks, relax and enjoy the view of the planes and the mountains
2) Board first in Zone 1 with Priority Boarding
3) Enjoy the much more comfortable seats and meal service on the flight, while also not having to worry about overhead bin space for your carry-on
4) De-plane first and whisk your way to the baggage belt and wait for your luggage to come off among the first batch with Priority baggage

Flight done!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by CanRulez

Exactly...throw it away.
except in Europe where they use soap and shampoo dispensers.

Meridien hotels (e.g. the one in Kuala Lumpur) have reusable bags in the room which i never took before. then i found out you could take those and i did this last time I stayed there.. i keep one in the car for the unexpected Costco trip.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jbb
Yeah, to the OP make sure to take advantage of all the services that come with a J-class ticket:

2) Take advantage of the Maple Leaf Lounge at YVR domestic: eat some snacks, have a few drinks, relax and enjoy the view of the planes and the mountains

3) Enjoy the much more comfortable seats and meal service on the flight, while also not having to worry about overhead bin space for your carry-on
2a) In the MLL, Load up on reading material. If you're lucky there's The Economist, Walrus and a couple others. You'll get a newspaper on board, so no need to carry that around.

3a) Onboard, ask/accept your complimentary earbuds :-) Although they don't have Champagne on the domestic, you should be able to get some "bubbly" I believe.

3b) In the pods, test how far you can bring up the legrest/lean back before takeoff without annoying the FA's. Hint, there is a light on the pods that informs the FA whether or not your seat is in the takeoff mode.

3c) Enjoy your ice cream!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
2a) In the MLL, Load up on reading material. If you're lucky there's The Economist, Walrus and a couple others. You'll get a newspaper on board, so no need to carry that around.

3a) Onboard, ask/accept your complimentary earbuds :-) Although they don't have Champagne on the domestic, you should be able to get some "bubbly" I believe.

3b) In the pods, test how far you can bring up the legrest/lean back before takeoff without annoying the FA's. Hint, there is a light on the pods that informs the FA whether or not your seat is in the takeoff mode.

3c) Enjoy your ice cream!
Bubbly on domestic? Wait, *burp* what did I miss?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:37 am
Suspended

I remember the first time my then five year old threatened to take a tantrum when he didn't get a J seat that one time...

The OP story is way cuter than that.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SE
Bubbly on domestic? Wait, *burp* what did I miss?
Am I wrong, is it only INTL? I limit myself to 1 glass of champagne per west bound INTL flight... I know I'm an exception on this board
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
Am I wrong, is it only INTL? I limit myself to 1 glass of champagne per west bound INTL flight... I know I'm an exception on this board
I believe I've had once. But the FA said they didn't expect to find it. Leftover?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.