Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada flight attendants concerned about Ebola

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada flight attendants concerned about Ebola

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Member

Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
I am a bit surprised AC FAs do not wear disposable gloves more often. In Peru almost everyone dealing with food and the public (including LAN FAs) wear gloves. Heck, in Colombia go to a chicken place and they provide you gloves to wear.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Germs in the cabin

Front page of FT had the piece

"Crewed Talk: Let’s Have a Serious Talk about Germs in the Cabin"

While there were some amusing bits in the column, I thought this was clever
"I wish amenity kits included antibacterial wipes. If flight attendants airlines were smart, they’d start selling them onboard! It’s about time airlines were more supportive of crew members who choose to wear gloves...."

.... "Just do yourself a favor and never dive an ungloved hand blindly into a seatback pocket or eat directly off a tray table, alright?"

So, my suggestion back when the earth cooled that there be a container of wipes at the door like you have when you enter some U.S. retail chains - was not so far off base. I just didn't think of charging for them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/story/crewe...the-cabin.html
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:52 pm
Original Member

Travel bans: Green Coffee Extract Doesn't Reduce Weight, and Travel Bans Won't Stop Ebola
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:20 pm
2MM

Which European airports are most likely to have transit passengers from the 3 affected African countries?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2MM
Which European airports are most likely to have transit passengers from the 3 affected African countries?
1. BRU.

2. CDG.

No other one really. AFAIK only other connection point is Casablanca which is not in Europe.

This said, I do not believe transiting to any of these airports is a serious risk. The airlines obviously check carefully the temperature of embarking passengers. FRlight times are not enough for any passenger to become contagious during the trip.

This said, my wife takes biologics for her arthritis, which lower her immune system, and she is a bit concerned. I am not convinced she should worry, but next trip we'll go to FRA instead of either CDG or BRU, which is not a big deal since at this time of the year upgrading to FRA is not too bad. This is even though the trip will take us to both Brussels and Paris, in addition to the Eifel.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by tyberius
I don't think lowered immune system has much of an impact here.

If you get ebola you're going to die 70% of the time. If your wife's immune system is impacted then maybe she has a 90% chance of death if she gets ebola. The chance that you will be infected with ebola has to be something like a hundredth of a percent or something extremely small. A 30% raised chance of death on something extremely small is itself extremely small.
Ebola, not ebola. That said, death rates, as we have seen, albeit with a small n, in the United States are much lower owing to early diagnosis and treatment.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually from CDG there are only AF flights to Konacry. From BRU there are flights to Monrovia, Freetown and Conakry.

But in African countries other than Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, surely the risk is no greater than at CDG or BRU? Apart from Casablanca, from which other African airports are there flights to these countries? I suspect the answer is either none, or a handful.
Originally Posted by Stranger
1. BRU.

2. CDG.

No other one really. AFAIK only other connection point is Casablanca which is not in Europe.
In addition to AF's CDG-CKY service, AT's service ex-CMN to CKY, FNA, & ROB, and SNs service to ex-BRU to CKY, FNA, & ROB, HF was to resume service to ex-ABJ to CKY, FNA, & ROB last week. I assume that they did.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...d-nations.html
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
I do however expect to see a new line item under surcharges, taxes and fees on airline tickets:

Big Blue Gloves 4.75 plus HST, PST, QST, GST.....

I am NOT making light of the concern by FAs, I'm just thinking that someone will have to pay for this plus any other costs involved in airport Ebola screening, should that get implemented.
Come now. Latex gloves are essentially free. Think about the PR if AC actually did that.

I don't see why FAs shouldn't get gloves for their work.

That said, the Ebola hysteria in North America (mostly the US) is probably the only funny aspect of this terrible disease.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Come now. Latex gloves are essentially free. Think about the PR if AC actually did that.

That said, the Ebola hysteria in North America (mostly the US) is probably the only funny aspect of this terrible disease.
If the FAs actually use the gloves the way they should be used, they won't be 'essentially free', but they won't, so I don't see the point of them. You have to replace them every time you touch something that could be contaminated. You have to take them off each time you need to arrange your hair, touch your face, etc.

Should they have gloves on board in case an emergency generates something that could be seriously contaminated (not necessarily with Ebola, I might add)? Sure. Should they use them for all aspects of the service? No.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:26 pm
Suspended

I do however expect to see a new line item under surcharges, taxes and fees on airline tickets:

Big Blue Gloves 4.75 plus HST, PST, QST, GST.....

I am NOT making light of the concern by FAs, I'm just thinking that someone will have to pay for this plus any other costs involved in airport Ebola screening, should that get implemented.

Nothing is free.
I was making a point AND looking at the cost issue.
There is no way an airline would give them to staff and not find a way to add some or all of the cost to the pax ticket, thus my line
"I do however expect to see a new line item under surcharges, taxes and fees on airline tickets:
Big Blue Gloves 4.75 plus HST, PST, QST, GST....."

I don't have to think of the PR since I did not come up with the glove idea in the first place. The mod posted the news item.

I just flew 4 AC domestic & trans-border flights since Friday and not once did I see a FA or anyone else wearing gloves of any kind. The only people with gloves were those "security" people - and that is a whole other conversation. (However, walking through terminal and airside at YVR this morning, I saw more than one person wearing a mask.)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
If the FAs actually use the gloves the way they should be used, they won't be 'essentially free', but they won't, so I don't see the point of them. You have to replace them every time you touch something that could be contaminated. You have to take them off each time you need to arrange your hair, touch your face, etc.
They don't have to replace them during a meal service, they would just have to avoid touching themselves during this relatively short interval. Then you might have a few dozen of these to be used per FA and flight (let's be generous), which doesn't really cost anything: these gloves can be had for fractions of cents per unit if bought in bulk.

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Should they have gloves on board in case an emergency generates something that could be seriously contaminated (not necessarily with Ebola, I might add)? Sure. Should they use them for all aspects of the service? No.
This I fully agree with, by the way. But if the FAs feel better having them on all the time, why not go to the small expense of letting them have their way.

Nothing is free.
I was making a point AND looking at the cost issue.
There is no way an airline would give them to staff and not find a way to add some or all of the cost to the pax ticket, thus my line
"I do however expect to see a new line item under surcharges, taxes and fees on airline tickets:
Big Blue Gloves 4.75 plus HST, PST, QST, GST....."

I don't have to think of the PR since I did not come up with the glove idea in the first place. The mod posted the news item.
Absolutely; you wouldn't have to think of the PR. But AC management would have to: imagine they let the FAs have the gloves and then passed the cost on to the customer with a totally disproportionate mark up. I don't think that would go down too well.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
They don't have to replace them during a meal service, they would just have to avoid touching themselves during this relatively short interval. Then you might have a few dozen of these to be used per FA and flight (let's be generous), which doesn't really cost anything: these gloves can be had for fractions of cents per unit if bought in bulk.
Given that an airline once cut the a single olive out of the salad they were serving to save money, you can be certain that they will perceive the cost of the gloves as an expense, and not free.

This I fully agree with, by the way. But if the FAs feel better having them on all the time, why not go to the small expense of letting them have their way.

Absolutely; you wouldn't have to think of the PR. But AC management would have to: imagine they let the FAs have the gloves and then passed the cost on to the customer with a totally disproportionate mark up. I don't think that would go down too well.
PR is actually the big problem. Imagine they let the FAs wear these gloves. What does it suggest to the customer? Gloves suggest two things to me - cafeterias and hospitals. Is that really the image that Air Canada (or any airline) wants to portray? No, they want to project luxury and easy living - even as they cram you into less and less space. That is why in their advertisements airlines spend far more time showing you the destination than the onboard experience. When they do show the onboard experience, it is smartly-dressed FAs, slender, smiling customers exuding comfort and confidence. Now square that image with the FA pulling on the latex gloves as if he/she was about to give you a prostate exam or draw blood. Or the industrial food service worker glopping some unidentifiable slop on your tray.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:48 am
Suspended

So, once again, let me remind you of the first post of this thread.

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/air-canad...bola-1.2056639

Flight attendants who work for Air Canada want the airline to issue an official notice with proper safety protocols to take in case they run into a passenger who may have contracted Ebola.

Attendants say they are at risk since they constantly handle glasses, utensils and plates that have come in contact with saliva from passengers.

Their union wrote to management on Oct. 10 to ask that glove-wearing become mandatory, and to be informed of any passenger that could be at risk of having come into contact with the deadly virus.

If the FAs want gloves, they may get gloves. PR and perception are irrelevant if the employees are concerned about their safety. I'm less bothered by crew wearing gloves than all of those pax wearing face masks who are currently wandering around airports.

If I were crew, I'd be more annoyed at all of the J pax sitting in my cabin on yesterday's YVR-YYZ flight, coughing and sneezing and not a single one of them could be bothered to cover their mouths. That behavior has an equally bad impact on the FAs serving them as well as the rest of us pax.

BTW, It is now Oct 28, I have been on 6 AC flights since this thread started and have not seen a single AC crew wear them.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:25 am

I'm less bothered by crew wearing gloves than all of those pax wearing face masks who are currently wandering around airports.
A bit OT, but why are you bothered by other people wearing face masks?

Of course, most people use them in such a way as to render them completely useless...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A bit OT, but why are you bothered by other people wearing face masks?
Because sick people around bothers me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.