FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada flight attendants concerned about Ebola (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1621140-air-canada-flight-attendants-concerned-about-ebola.html)

tcook052 Oct 16, 2014 1:14 pm

Air Canada flight attendants concerned about Ebola

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/air-canad...bola-1.2056639

Flight attendants who work for Air Canada want the airline to issue an official notice with proper safety protocols to take in case they run into a passenger who may have contracted Ebola.

Attendants say they are at risk since they constantly handle glasses, utensils and plates that have come in contact with saliva from passengers.

Their union wrote to management on Oct. 10 to ask that glove-wearing become mandatory, and to be informed of any passenger that could be at risk of having come into contact with the deadly virus.

Cana2013 Oct 16, 2014 1:38 pm

I would be scared if I am an attendant for some of the flights to Africa.

Avoid using washrooms on those flights if you can.

theseatbelt Oct 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013 (Post 23688254)

Please don't be ridiculous. Only 5 countries out of 47 African countries has reported Ebola cases. Nigeria and Senegal could be declared "Ebola-free" by the World Health Organization in a few days, after clearing the requisite 42-day period.

By your logic we should all be scared if we fly to Texas or Spain as Ebola has spread domestically there.

However, everyone needs to be vigilant and prepared to minimize unnecessary spread of the virus. Making sure people who are infected don't fly is one of them (including the 2nd nurse in the USA).

CanRulez Oct 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by theseatbelt (Post 23688462)
Please don't be ridiculous. Only 5 countries out of 47 African countries has reported Ebola cases. Nigeria and Senegal could be declared "Ebola-free" by the World Health Organization in a few days, after clearing the requisite 42-day period.

By your logic we should all be scared if we fly to Texas or Spain as Ebola has spread domestically there.

However, everyone needs to be vigilant and prepared to minimize unnecessary spread of the virus. Making sure people who are infected don't fly is one of them (including the 2nd nurse in the USA).

theseatbelt, I think you bolded the wrong words in cana2013's quote. He/she said "...to some of the flights to Africa", which to me, implies some of the countries in Africa.

Cana2013's comments are fair. Why are we putting our country at risk by flying to or from Ebola affected countries? (e.g. West Africa)

Dorian Oct 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Lol. I am in Rwanda monthly....Kenya every 2nd month.
While living in Vancouver I'm closer to ebola cases than in Africa.

theseatbelt Oct 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by CanRulez (Post 23688551)
theseatbelt, I think you bolded the wrong words in cana2013's quote. He/she said "...to some of the flights to Africa", which to me, implies some of the countries in Africa.

OK didn't see the word some. However, "Africa" is used in such a generic way that even using the word "some" is bad enough. I'd prefer people to be specific about which countries they are talking about. Because I have friends going to other parts of "Africa" and Ebola always comes up for really no reason at all, other than the fact that it's "Africa".

Originally Posted by CanRulez (Post 23688551)
Cana2013's comments are fair. Why are we putting our country at risk by flying to or from Ebola affected countries? (e.g. West Africa)

There are no direct flights to/from the worst affected countries (Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea). To fly from YYZ to Freetown / Monrovia, you'll need to connect via Paris or Brussels.

It's a difficult issue with no easy answer. The best way is to tackle it at the source.

CanRulez Oct 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian (Post 23688707)
Lol. I am in Rwanda monthly....Kenya every 2nd month.
While living in Vancouver I'm closer to ebola cases than in Africa.

In other words, we should take your AC status away to discourage further flying. :D:p

superangrypenguin Oct 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Considering how much some of us are on airplanes, I deem that we all get hazard pay

24left Oct 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by theseatbelt (Post 23688721)
OK didn't see the word some. However, "Africa" is used in such a generic way that even using the word "some" is bad enough. I'd prefer people to be specific about which countries they are talking about. Because I have friends going to other parts of "Africa" and Ebola always comes up for really no reason at all, other than the fact that it's "Africa".

There are no direct flights to/from the worst affected countries (Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea). To fly from YYZ to Freetown / Monrovia, you'll need to connect via Paris or Brussels.

It's a difficult issue with no easy answer. The best way is to tackle it at the source.

To your point, there was a really interesting piece in Bloomberg that showed just how many travelers are confused by which countries are affected and paint all of Africa as a problem, "“A lot of countries out there still paint Africa as a country, rather than a continent,” said Nzima. (exec from South African Tourism)

Confusion, Fear of Ebola Keep Tourists Out of Africa

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...om-africa.html

And this is the Oct 14 piece from The Guardian on screening confusion coming into LHR and BRU.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...rport-measures

ridefar Oct 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by theseatbelt (Post 23688721)

Couldn't agree more.

Here is a very interesting info graphic: http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosy...-of-africa.jpg

Africa = China + India + USA + Europe + Japan. :eek:

It is big. Really big.

itineranthistorian Oct 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 23688128)
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/air-canad...bola-1.2056639

Attendants say they are at risk since they constantly handle glasses, utensils and plates that have come in contact with saliva from passengers.

Considering Cold & Flu season (alongside smaller outbreaks of whichever virus - thinking of the deadly e.coli outbreak in Germany a couple of summers ago), shouldn't mandatory glove usage just be common sense, above and beyond something like Ebola?

CanRulez Oct 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 23689103)
Couldn't agree more.

Here is a very interesting info graphic: http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosy...-of-africa.jpg

Africa = China + India + USA + Europe + Japan. :eek:

It is big. Really big.

That might be true but the countries within Africa are not separated by large bodies of water to help "contain" the spread. Why risk bringing the virus to North America? We should shut down our borders.

upgradesecret Oct 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Which countries in Africa does Air Canada fly into?

ridefar Oct 16, 2014 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by CanRulez (Post 23689163)
That might be true but the countries within Africa are not separated by large bodies of water to help "contain" the spread. Why risk bringing the virus to North America? We should shut down our borders.

I don't entirely disagree with you--although I do think that closing the borders and banning air travel to and from the three countries primarily impacted would be better than closing *our* borders.

My post was really just to point out the size of the continent--affirming that saying "Africa is... xxx" or "Africa is ... yyy" is usually senseless as it is too big and to diverse to make a meaningful generalization about.

CanRulez Oct 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 23689198)
I don't entirely disagree with you--although I do think that closing the borders and banning air travel to and from the three countries primarily impacted would be better than closing *our* borders.

My post was really just to point out the size of the continent--affirming that saying "Africa is... xxx" or "Africa is ... yyy" is usually senseless as it is too big and to diverse to make a meaningful generalization about.

When Alberta got hit with Mad Cow Disease, didn't other countries shut down any imports of beef from Alberta. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it included all of Canada. They did so to shut down any chance of contamination.
This is Ebola folks. This virus has a very high success rate of death. There's evidence the virus is already mutating.

This isn't your typical flu virus.