Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada flight attendants concerned about Ebola

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada flight attendants concerned about Ebola

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CanRulez
This isn't your typical flew virus.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theseatbelt

There are no direct flights to/from the worst affected countries (Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea). To fly from YYZ to Freetown / Monrovia, you'll need to connect via Paris or Brussels.
It appears AF only flies to Konakry. SN to all three, Freetown, Monrovia and Konakry. There is one more option, though Casablanca then on Royal Air Maroc.

Sounds like SN is confident they have proper measures in place and they appear still to have crews willing to go.

Anyway, at this stage I still would not be overly concerned going anywhere where Ac flies to. Our next European trip includes a few days near Paris and a few days near Brussels. However my wife's ongoing medical treatment entails biologics that lower her immune system. I still don't think ebola should be a major concern even in her situation. However she understandably is a bit nervous, so if details work out (read, manage confirmed upgrades on the non-stop to FRA) we may well end up flying to FRA. Which is what we used to do. Added benefit being that at FRA you typically get a nicer rental car for the money ( or you pay less for the same car).
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Which countries in Africa does Air Canada fly into?
^

I keep requesting YYZ-LOS, but it has yet to materialize. I'm confident that will be the first African destination, however.

Has AC or CP ever had direct flights? Maybe to Dakar years ago?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by tcook052
Lol. You caught my typo before I clicked save on my edit.

Clearly I've been spending too much time on FT of late.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by ridefar
I don't entirely disagree with you--although I do think that closing the borders and banning air travel to and from the three countries primarily impacted would be better than closing *our* borders.

My post was really just to point out the size of the continent--affirming that saying "Africa is... xxx" or "Africa is ... yyy" is usually senseless as it is too big and to diverse to make a meaningful generalization about.
One can impose all the bans one wants, but it would require screening and enforcement BEFORE the traveler entered Canada. The transit hubs for places such as Monrovia are BRU, CDG, FRA and LHR. Canada does not effectively screen pax coming from these hubs now does it? This is demonstrated by the unabated flow of "refugees" coming via those embarkation points. It is unlikely Canada would be able effectively screen travelers unless tens of millions of $$ were invested in stationing quarantine and CBSA officers at those hubs. Stopping an infected traveler at a Canadian airport is a 1/2 measure. Unfortunately, if the person was infected, many of the people on the plane would have become infected.

It will be difficult because many African nationals have dual citizenships allowing multiple passports. The use of the country of origin passport to enter the homeland and then the use of a French or Canadian or British passport to enter Canada will make it difficult to screen travel. The burden of prevention will lie with the EU transit points to screen for the pax.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:24 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I would be scared if I am an attendant for some of the flights to Africa.

Avoid using washrooms on those flights if you can.
I would be scared if I had to drive to work on a freeway every day.

Much, much, much scarier.

[QUOTE=24left;23688986]To your point, there was a really interesting piece in Bloomberg that showed just how many travelers are confused by which countries are affected and paint all of Africa as a problem, "“A lot of countries out there still paint Africa as a country, rather than a continent,” said Nzima. (exec from South African Tourism)

Confusion, Fear of Ebola Keep Tourists Out of Africa

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...om-africa.html

Or as my mom would say... "You know what that means.... cheap hotel rooms!"

When Alberta got hit with Mad Cow Disease, didn't other countries shut down any imports of beef from Alberta. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it included all of Canada. They did so to shut down any chance of contamination.
This is Ebola folks. This virus has a very high success rate of death. There's evidence the virus is already mutating.
No, there isn't.

This isn't your typical flu virus.
Indeed:
CDC estimates that from the 1976-1977 season to the 2006-2007 flu season, flu-associated [USA] deaths ranged from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease...ted_deaths.htm

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 17, 2014 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
You would win the 6/49 prior to getting Ebola. Just saying
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
For anyone ever wanting to go on a safari....this is the time to do it apparently. Lots of cancellations....so figure prices must be dropping or flexible.

Sucks for the economies impacted.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I guess I should continue licking toilet seats to see if I get Ebola
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
I remember when Toronto had SARS and the Media frenzy and made us all freak out. Nobody ever speaks of the 48,000 or so who die each year from influenza. Only 1 person in the USA has died and yes unfortunately it may kill others. So let's get ahold of ourselfs and stop freaking out when all is ok.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Considering how much some of us are on airplanes, I deem that we all get hazard pay

When you get yours, please share some of it with me
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
One can impose all the bans one wants, but it would require screening and enforcement BEFORE the traveler entered Canada. The transit hubs for places such as Monrovia are BRU, CDG, FRA and LHR. Canada does not effectively screen pax coming from these hubs now does it? This is demonstrated by the unabated flow of "refugees" coming via those embarkation points. It is unlikely Canada would be able effectively screen travelers unless tens of millions of $$ were invested in stationing quarantine and CBSA officers at those hubs. Stopping an infected traveler at a Canadian airport is a 1/2 measure. Unfortunately, if the person was infected, many of the people on the plane would have become infected.

It will be difficult because many African nationals have dual citizenships allowing multiple passports. The use of the country of origin passport to enter the homeland and then the use of a French or Canadian or British passport to enter Canada will make it difficult to screen travel. The burden of prevention will lie with the EU transit points to screen for the pax.

Which is why i had included this in my earlier post:

And this is the Oct 14 piece from The Guardian on screening confusion coming into LHR and BRU.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...rport-measures[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dorian
For anyone ever wanting to go on a safari....this is the time to do it apparently. Lots of cancellations....so figure prices must be dropping or flexible.

Sucks for the economies impacted.

Helps for those countries who can effectively communicate that they are perfectly safe and farther away from Ebola-central than NYC. (Our niece and friends just came back from a fantastic trip to Kilimanjaro. )
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:44 pm

Air Canada flight attendants to wear gloves against Ebola

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...bola-1.2801951

"All Air Canada flight attendants will be able to wear disposable gloves to help protect themselves from the risk of contact with the Ebola virus.

The country's largest carrier said it had no objection to a request from the union representing cabin crews to don hand protection on all flights when collecting passenger waste, such as cups or diapers, that could carry saliva or other body fluids contaminated with the deadly virus."

In my opinion it helps, but it may not help. If the flight attendant touches the contaminated fluid during the removal of gloves, they would get contaminated.

Regardless they should be wearing gloves anyways for hygiene purposes. I'm surprised they don't!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by theseatbelt
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...bola-1.2801951

"All Air Canada flight attendants will be able to wear disposable gloves to help protect themselves from the risk of contact with the Ebola virus.

The country's largest carrier said it had no objection to a request from the union representing cabin crews to don hand protection on all flights when collecting passenger waste, such as cups or diapers, that could carry saliva or other body fluids contaminated with the deadly virus."

In my opinion it helps, but it may not help. If the flight attendant touches the contaminated fluid during the removal of gloves, they would get contaminated.

Regardless they should be wearing gloves anyways for hygiene purposes. I'm surprised they don't!

Prior to ebola making it to the front page, no one suggested FAs wear gloves despite all of the things they touch on the plane already (lav doors, pax belongings, pax who might have some other virus, food service items with other germs or worse.)

I have no personal objection, many in the food service business have done so for years.

I think the challenge is image - what does it say to the traveling public if the crew are suddenly wearing the bright blue gloves? Sure, the white ones are less TSA and in-your-face, but only certain ones offer enhanced protection.

Funny how so many FT posters laughed in the other thread "Worrisome hygiene standards at AC" when some of us were using anti-bac wipes or hand sanitizer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.