Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
New Airport Hotel Open

A new hotel has opened within the grounds of JKIA - The Lazizi Premiere.

http://www.thelazizihotels.com/

Looks nice, and also offers day rooms.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
International to International Connection Questions

Later this month I will be coming in from JNB on SAA award ticket and then flying onward later that same day on Rwandair to KGL (separate ticket).

I got a Kenyan transit visa so I can go landside if need be, but was hoping to be able to use the Turkish Lounge to kill the 5 hours between flights as it looks to be the best of the Priority Pass offerings.

Questions:
1. Will it be possible for me to stay airside the entire time?
2. What terminal does Rwandair fly out of and will I be able to access the Turkish Airways lounge from there?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by ron187

Questions:
1. Will it be possible for me to stay airside the entire time?
2. What terminal does Rwandair fly out of and will I be able to access the Turkish Airways lounge from there?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
As your luggage will only be checked through to NBO, you will need to collect it on arrival, but the WB counters would not open till 3 hours prior to departure. However if you ask the ground staff meeting the SA aircraft on arrival that you are transferring, do not wish to clear immigration, but want to collect your luggage, they should be able to assist you. Then go to the KQ transit desks, and they will be able to check you in for your WB flight.

WB use T1A, while the Turkish Lounge is at T1C near gate 4A. This is around a 15 min walk, plus one security clearance when moving from the lounge to T1A. Easy walk, and security is straight forward.

Had a look at the lounge last month, and it is awesome. Great food and wine offerings, and nice apron views.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
As your luggage will only be checked through to NBO, you will need to collect it on arrival, but the WB counters would not open till 3 hours prior to departure. However if you ask the ground staff meeting the SA aircraft on arrival that you are transferring, do not wish to clear immigration, but want to collect your luggage, they should be able to assist you. Then go to the KQ transit desks, and they will be able to check you in for your WB flight.

WB use T1A, while the Turkish Lounge is at T1C near gate 4A. This is around a 15 min walk, plus one security clearance when moving from the lounge to T1A. Easy walk, and security is straight forward.

Had a look at the lounge last month, and it is awesome. Great food and wine offerings, and nice apron views.

Thank you for the help! I won't be checking any bags, so I should be ok from that standpoint. Looking forward to checking out the turkish lounge.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:16 am

Emirates have just switched to the Turkish lounge due to complaints of overcrowding in Aspire. I was there last week. Not good.

My sympathies if you have to spend anything remotely like 5 hours there. For a new lounge the place was a total dump. Mediocre food, miserable staff, no newspapers, densely packed seating. Plus the place was so packed that someone was going around calling for EK passengers to go to the gate an hour before the gate closed (1h20m before the flight) presumably to reduce the crowding.

If you want a decent meal and have a transit visa go airside and eat at Java outside the terminal. Then check your bag back in.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by simons1
If you want a decent meal and have a transit visa go airside and eat at Java outside the terminal. Then check your bag back in.
There is an airside Java (though often crowded) open now in the new (1A) terminal for KQ and KL. I think it's near Gate 14. You may have to clear a security checkpoint to get into terminal 1A from 1B or 1C but if you explain you are going to Java you shouldn't have trouble.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Yellow fever vaccine required for entry in Nairobi?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jalen500
Yellow fever vaccine required for entry in Nairobi?
Only if you are traveling or have traveled to a country at-risk. Review full CDC info here. Coming from the EU and US, I have never been asked for my vaccination book.

That said, some countries (Brazil, notably) may later require the Yellow Fever vaccine if you have entered Kenya.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Thank you. We are spending 1 night in Nairobi than going on to Tanzania .
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Flying on Qatar in Business class from NBO to DOH. Am I granted access to any lounge,if so,which one?
If not, can I pay to access any and which one is best?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
From what I understand, T1A is exclusively used by Kenya Airways, intercontinental airlines use T2B (even though there is no clear boundaries) and regional/continental airlines, like RwandAir, operate from T1C. So it's even shorter for him

Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Flying on Qatar in Business class from NBO to DOH. Am I granted access to any lounge,if so,which one?
If not, can I pay to access any and which one is best?
QR use the Aspire Lounge. It's small, but adequate. Prosecco, South African white/red, some spirits, tea/coffee and small selection of food. No showers.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:37 am

Hi all. I'm arriving in NBO at 1:05 from an international flight. I'd then like very much to connect to a 540 flight that leaves at 3:30. I'd need to get through the e-visa process and, I think, get to T2 for the 540 flight. What are the odds that I'll be able to make this happen? Would really like to avoid having a pointless night in Nairobi.
Old May 13, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by danielm
Hi all. I'm arriving in NBO at 1:05 from an international flight. I'd then like very much to connect to a 540 flight that leaves at 3:30. I'd need to get through the e-visa process and, I think, get to T2 for the 540 flight. What are the odds that I'll be able to make this happen? Would really like to avoid having a pointless night in Nairobi.
This is going to be very tight. Which airline do you arrive in on, as there are two International arrival facilities. Check http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...irportCode=NBO and see what other flights are coming in at that time. If there are several, then allow more time to clear immigration and customs.

Then catch the shuttle to T2 - this operates every 15-30 min depending on how busy the airport is.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:13 pm

This is going to be very tight. Which airline do you arrive in on, as there are two International arrival facilities. Check http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...irportCode=NBO and see what other flights are coming in at that time. If there are several, then allow more time to clear immigration and customs.

Then catch the shuttle to T2 - this operates every 15-30 min depending on how busy the airport is.
Thanks for the reply. I'll be coming on an EY flight. Looks like there's an ET flight scheduled for 5 minutes later - who knows who will arrive first. Otherwise, the one flight ahead of it, at 12:40, on Kenyan from BJM, which would be at a different facility?

The EY flight seems to be pretty on time, typically. Assuming it arrives on time and I don't check a bag, what do you rate my odds? Would a cab between the terminals speed things up? If I have reasonable odds, I like to do it, since the next flight out isn't until the following morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.