Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
We'll arrive at NBO on the TK flight at 02:30. I plan on having a prepaid hotel room booked so we can check in early in the morning and crash. This is our first time in Kenya and I'm looking for recommendations on what I should do for getting from the airport to the hotel. Cab, prearranged ride?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by cheltzel
We'll arrive at NBO on the TK flight at 02:30. I plan on having a prepaid hotel room booked so we can check in early in the morning and crash. This is our first time in Kenya and I'm looking for recommendations on what I should do for getting from the airport to the hotel. Cab, prearranged ride?
Uber used to work quite well. The only issue is that you may not have roaming, but you could get a sim right after you exit the luggage collection area - just have a few shillings with you, it's quite cheap and quick to get one with 1 or 2 GB. Or have the hotel arrange a pickup if that's an option, but it'll be more expensive of course.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Ololo Safari Lodge is in Nairobi National Park, has great food, a pool and accommodation. They can drop you off at JKIA which means you'll also get a night game drive in. Seeing that they want to have a game drive, and are paying the park fees, might as well make the most of NNP.
In case its helpful to anyone else Ololo has a day package which includes transfers, lunch and dinner and a game drive, and a day room... in our case we took the stable rooms and package is 250 usd plus 43 usd park fees. Its a perfect solution for us.,
MaldivesGoal and offvoice like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by offvoice
Uber used to work quite well. The only issue is that you may not have roaming, but you could get a sim right after you exit the luggage collection area - just have a few shillings with you, it's quite cheap and quick to get one with 1 or 2 GB. Or have the hotel arrange a pickup if that's an option, but it'll be more expensive of course.
That last option is my usual way of doing it. Are the sim card places open at 02:00? My phone is unlocked and has most/all of the international 4G/5G bands.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:13 pm

deleted

Last edited by vbnet; Jan 24, 2024 at 5:26 am
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Are the sim card places open at 02:00?
They are open 24/7
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by offvoice
The only issue is that you may not have roaming, but you could get a sim right after you exit the luggage collection area - just have a few shillings with you, it's quite cheap and quick to get one with 1 or 2 GB.
I am planning to purchase an eSIM package from Airalo before our travels in March. The global eSim option notes it works in both Kenya and our final destination in Seychelles as well as USA where we will transit through on our way from/to Canada. Anyone have any experience with Airalo? The local eSim from them appears to use Nakuru Mobile so I assume the global eSim uses same carrier. We are thinking of just data as our contacts in Kenya for our day safari during our return leg stopover uses WhatsApp so just need data.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 10:20 am

I’m similarly interested to the answer Highlander as off to Kenya in March to climb Mt Kenya and was planning n the same eSIM option
Old Feb 3, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I have an upcoming flight on TK to NBO arriving at 1:50am, and then I booked a separate ticket on ET to MPM via ADD at 5am. With 3 hr 10 min layover, will I make it?
I will only have carry-on, but I am not sure if I can check in online for ET... if not, is there a transfer desk that can issue ET BP? Or I must clear immigration and go landside?
Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:38 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by ericw
I have an upcoming flight on TK to NBO arriving at 1:50am, and then I booked a separate ticket on ET to MPM via ADD at 5am. With 3 hr 10 min layover, will I make it?
I will only have carry-on, but I am not sure if I can check in online for ET... if not, is there a transfer desk that can issue ET BP? Or I must clear immigration and go landside?
Thanks!
It is very easy to transfer at NBO. Just follow transfer signs, ET Transfer desk may not open till 2 hrs before the flight, but if you are checked in online, you'll have a boarding pass to access the TK lounge (as ET is Star Alliance).
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:52 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
It is very easy to transfer at NBO. Just follow transfer signs, ET Transfer desk may not open till 2 hrs before the flight, but if you are checked in online, you'll have a boarding pass to access the TK lounge (as ET is Star Alliance).
Since my ET ticket is NBO-ADD-MPM (UA award) and I am traveling on my Canadian passport with my TK FFP #, my concern is that ET would not let me check-in online without ID verification at the counter. I do not recall the last time I had successful OLCI with ET (most recently Dec 2023 out of DXB)...If there is indeed an ET transfer desk, that'd be great. I know I can always try to get the BP at the gate, but I am paranoid that they'd consider me No Show if the gate does not open more than 1 hr before departure.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by ericw
Since my ET ticket is NBO-ADD-MPM (UA award) and I am traveling on my Canadian passport with my TK FFP #, my concern is that ET would not let me check-in online without ID verification at the counter. I do not recall the last time I had successful OLCI with ET (most recently Dec 2023 out of DXB)...If there is indeed an ET transfer desk, that'd be great. I know I can always try to get the BP at the gate, but I am paranoid that they'd consider me No Show if the gate does not open more than 1 hr before departure.
I'd go to the TK lounge, and ask them to call the ET check in desks. Kenyans are very helpful.
ericw likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:51 am

I have an early morning arrival at NBO (flying Ethiopian airline) ~ 1: 30AM. Figured with custom/ immigration/ deplaning may take 1.5- 2 hours.
Was thinking of just waiting till sunrise/ 6am before heading out to my hotel (staying at Hyatt in Westland). The hotel is said they'll let me check in early.
Wanted to wait till sunrise/ 6am to get uber for safety reasons (prob overcautious but I'll just feel better).

Question:
1. Is there any 24 hour cafe at Terminal 1C (Ethiopian air arrival) on landside?
2. How about airside? can we wait there and not go thru immigration immediately?
3. does sim card/ cell counter open early?

Thanks in advance for the advice and answers.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jennatraveller
I have an early morning arrival at NBO (flying Ethiopian airline) ~ 1: 30AM. Figured with custom/ immigration/ deplaning may take 1.5- 2 hours.
Was thinking of just waiting till sunrise/ 6am before heading out to my hotel (staying at Hyatt in Westland). The hotel is said they'll let me check in early.
Wanted to wait till sunrise/ 6am to get uber for safety reasons (prob overcautious but I'll just feel better).

Question:
1. Is there any 24 hour cafe at Terminal 1C (Ethiopian air arrival) on landside?
2. How about airside? can we wait there and not go thru immigration immediately?
3. does sim card/ cell counter open early?

Thanks in advance for the advice and answers.
It should take no more than 45-60 min to get through immigration & customs. The roads are fine - just arrange a hotel car, as they are usually bigger than Ubers.

Ethiopian arrives at T1E (generic arrivals building), and there is a cafe there, as well as across the road (Pauls). You will not be able to wait airside.

The SIM shops are open 24hrs and are located just outside T1A arrivals (3 min walk from T1E).

I'd just get to the hotel, pay for the extra night, and be comfortable.
Jennatraveller likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:07 am

Ethiopian arrives at T1E (generic arrivals building), and there is a cafe there, as well as across the road (Pauls). You will not be able to wait airside.
Ethiopian arrives at T1A, not T1E.

You can sit airside before immigration if you want, but there is nothing there other than some ATMs, bathrooms and a few vending machines.
Jennatraveller likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.