Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Kili/Serengeti/Victoria falls trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Help with Kili/Serengeti/Victoria falls trip

Hey folks~!
I pulled the trigger on a great QR OJ fare into NBO and out of JNB, flying in on 5th of July and leaving 28th. my original intention was making my way down south to tick off 3 boxes of mine (climb Kilimanjaro, Serengeti, and Victoria falls) and realized maybe 23 days is a tad bit too short? I have done a couple days of research, but still uncertain on a lot of things. I am low on budget and would love to hear anyone's advice on it!
In general, I am thinking NBO-Moshi-Kili Climb-Serengeti-DAR-HRE-VFA-JNB.... I believe easyjet is my friend for making it to VFA? Maybe I have to forgo Vic. falls? I guess direct DAR-JNB can save me a few days?
Most of the safari agencies have no listed price on it, and I am just unsure in general. Is it considered too late to book now? What makes a good low end agency? I heard Access2Tanzania is great, but will they blow my budget up since there is no listed price for their safari and as a single traveller, I will be subjected to crazy fees?
for climbing Kili, some claim that under 1800 is unrealistic, but I saw a few prices around 1600, I should avoid them? I also would hate to climb all by myself with no other fellow travellers, so are there many group climbs that I can simply join and avoid single trekker surcharges?
for Vic. Falls, how many days is considered reasonable? I am thinking about 2 days, 1 for the falls, 1 for the town...
I am still quite new to all these, so any help welcome~!

Thanks to all the experts here in advance!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by beyounged
Hey folks~!
I pulled the trigger on a great QR OJ fare into NBO and out of JNB, flying in on 5th of July and leaving 28th. my original intention was making my way down south to tick off 3 boxes of mine (climb Kilimanjaro, Serengeti, and Victoria falls) and realized maybe 23 days is a tad bit too short? I have done a couple days of research, but still uncertain on a lot of things. I am low on budget and would love to hear anyone's advice on it!
In general, I am thinking NBO-Moshi-Kili Climb-Serengeti-DAR-HRE-VFA-JNB.... I believe easyjet is my friend for making it to VFA? Maybe I have to forgo Vic. falls? I guess direct DAR-JNB can save me a few days?
Most of the safari agencies have no listed price on it, and I am just unsure in general. Is it considered too late to book now? What makes a good low end agency? I heard Access2Tanzania is great, but will they blow my budget up since there is no listed price for their safari and as a single traveller, I will be subjected to crazy fees?
for climbing Kili, some claim that under 1800 is unrealistic, but I saw a few prices around 1600, I should avoid them? I also would hate to climb all by myself with no other fellow travellers, so are there many group climbs that I can simply join and avoid single trekker surcharges?
for Vic. Falls, how many days is considered reasonable? I am thinking about 2 days, 1 for the falls, 1 for the town...
I am still quite new to all these, so any help welcome~!

Thanks to all the experts here in advance!
Cant help you on price for safari or vic falls, but just got back from Kili. We blocked 10 days (2 before, 7 climbing, 1 after) for kili before flying on precision air (PW) to ZNZ and eventually on to NBO for safari.

You can do kili much faster, but with risk. First, it's africa and things can go wrong in a hurry. Second, the longer you take to climb kili, the more successful you will be. Some folks need that extra day to acclimatize to the elevation. Others are fine with the 5 day Marangu 'cocacola' route to the top.

Nothing much to do in moshi, but spent a day walking around before. I had tried to arrange a flight to fly over lake natron, but never could pull it off. Next time I'll have to go overland.

I know this doesnt help since you already booked your flight, but QR flies to JRO direct (sometimes through znz) and that may save you time and money as opposed to dealing with NBO. I chose to do my safari in the mara rather than Serengeti. Good luck.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rivlinm
Cant help you on price for safari or vic falls, but just got back from Kili. We blocked 10 days (2 before, 7 climbing, 1 after) for kili before flying on precision air (PW) to ZNZ and eventually on to NBO for safari.

You can do kili much faster, but with risk. First, it's africa and things can go wrong in a hurry. Second, the longer you take to climb kili, the more successful you will be. Some folks need that extra day to acclimatize to the elevation. Others are fine with the 5 day Marangu 'cocacola' route to the top.

Nothing much to do in moshi, but spent a day walking around before. I had tried to arrange a flight to fly over lake natron, but never could pull it off. Next time I'll have to go overland.

I know this doesnt help since you already booked your flight, but QR flies to JRO direct (sometimes through znz) and that may save you time and money as opposed to dealing with NBO. I chose to do my safari in the mara rather than Serengeti. Good luck.
Thanks! the deal only works to NBO I believe, as I plug in JRO price goes through the roof. I believe I will simply dwell in NBO for 1 day for rest and push on to Kili, I will do a 7 day hike with 1 day on each side and a 5 day safari from Moshi/Arusha. Then I precision air to DAR or ZNZ and directly fly to Harare for 2 days, then onto Vic. Falls and 2 days later to JNB... so cramped but i guess it is the price I pay for not being really thinking.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by rivlinm
Second, the longer you take to climb kili, the more successful you will be.
Per the scientists who have studied this, there is no evidence that taking a day or two extra helps.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:45 am

Thanks! the deal only works to NBO I believe, as I plug in JRO price goes through the roof.
That's because you are going to Moshi in the highest of the high season.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Sabasi
Per the scientists who have studied this, there is no evidence that taking a day or two extra helps.
It helped me Who needs science!

That said, I think next time I will try a 5-day trek.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

That's because you are going to Moshi in the highest of the high season.
well, I guess high season always has high season's perks~
also I would love to visit NBO as a city, but I still got a great deal sub $700 in high season for OJ. Also that is almost the only time I have in the year that can tick off Africa from my 7-continents-in-1-year challenge.

I am still very worried about price tag of all these activities and how to get from Moshi to VFA though.... anyone can enlighten me? greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:17 am

well, I guess high season always has high season's perks~
Like what? You could do just as well in any season in northern Tanzania except during the long rains, mostly in mid-March to mid-May.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:19 am

Also that is almost the only time I have in the year that can tick off Africa from my 7-continents-in-1-year challenge.
Wow. Africa is part of your personal sporting event. Lucky us.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Like what? You could do just as well in any season in northern Tanzania except during the long rains, mostly in mid-March to mid-May.
I guess I can meet more travelers from all over the world? I am just trying to see the positive side haha.
I believe Africa is too charming to be simply a sporting event for me. I would much prefer the comparison of experiencing the loveliness of this wonderful continent in an inexcusable short amount of time.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi beyounged!

I believe that you can fly Nairobi to Livingstone direct but only on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Livingstone is about 20-25 mins by road from Vic Falls. This could be an alternative to your idea of flying JRO - DAR - etc etc...

There is not much to the town of Vic Falls. The area is noted for the Falls itself and the activities available to you because of the Falls. For example, the Livingstone Island Tour with the swim in Angel's Pool (Devil's Pool not open in July) is great for views. So is the Bridge Swing which is a cross between a swing and a Bungee cord right into the Gorge. You could also white water raft. There are day trips for that. The Bridge itself is fairly symbolic historically. It was the vision of Cecil Rhodes and built as part of his vision for a train to run from "Cape To Cairo". If history is your thing, this could be interesting. And a sunset cruise on the Zambezi is always magnificent. Because of the touristy nature of these activities, they are not inexpensive. Just something to factor into the effort to get there and the cost.

Hope this info helps!

Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Hi beyounged!

I believe that you can fly Nairobi to Livingstone direct but only on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Livingstone is about 20-25 mins by road from Vic Falls. This could be an alternative to your idea of flying JRO - DAR - etc etc...

There is not much to the town of Vic Falls. The area is noted for the Falls itself and the activities available to you because of the Falls. For example, the Livingstone Island Tour with the swim in Angel's Pool (Devil's Pool not open in July) is great for views. So is the Bridge Swing which is a cross between a swing and a Bungee cord right into the Gorge. You could also white water raft. There are day trips for that. The Bridge itself is fairly symbolic historically. It was the vision of Cecil Rhodes and built as part of his vision for a train to run from "Cape To Cairo". If history is your thing, this could be interesting. And a sunset cruise on the Zambezi is always magnificent. Because of the touristy nature of these activities, they are not inexpensive. Just something to factor into the effort to get there and the cost.

Hope this info helps!

Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Hi Dianne!
Thank you it helps a lot. The direct flight to Livingstone costs like crazy so I think I will just fastjet my way through DAR, HRE instead, maybe visiting one of them as well! I am open to all kinds of attractions, and I guess 2 days should be just right for the falls. I can do some of the activities like the swing, but of course I need to forgo some of the others. If you can share any insight in the safari or Kilimanjaro, it will be greatly appreciated~! Of course it will never go as planned but who knows
again, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.